SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,<p>I've owned 3 240s over the years, and was in the market for another. However, the classic Swedish brick seems to command a premium these days. This past week, 3 showed up in the classifieds of our local newspaper, and all were sold within hours.<p>Doing some research at <A HREF="http://www.vlvworld.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vlvworld.com</A>, I see that the 740 and 940 also used the B230 engine. Are there other factors that, in your opinions, keep the 740 and 940 from being a 400K warrior like the 240?

·
Registered
15 Posts
A Volvo from the 700 or 900 series are different in driving. I one a 240 and a 940. In drive in a 240 is a classic one. While a 900 is much more a modern drive. In a 700 or 900 you are more actieve seated. A 2oo is more fun to drive. But in terms of quality the 900 series outclasses the 700 serie and the 200 series.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Re: 240 vs. 740 or 940 (montysano)

The 7/9 series are every bit as capable of reaching megamiles as the 240 - better, even, due to the improved rustproofing. There is no fundamental difference in either engine nor transmission (excepting the 16V GLE and the I-6 960, a slightly different animal.)<p>There are usually more gadgets on the highline 7/9 series, so you have more occasions for minor things to go wrong (power windows, sunroof, mirrors, seat, etc...), but these things will not stop the car from rolling, and usually work well if lubed/cleaned/kept after on a regular basis.<p>To me, the 7's & 9's are great bargains - larger and quieter than a 240, but still rock solid and dependable. They've been termed 'Swedish Cadillacs', and the term is quite apropos.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: 240 vs. 740 or 940 (11110000)

I take it since its the same engine, most of the engine maintenance is pretty much the same? I have only driven 240s, but have noticed and liked the look of the 940 (I trust the 4 bangers more than 6). I always wondered if they had the same engine quality and longevity, cause I love the B23 engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts