SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any opinion on the 1991 240 SE? I know it stands for special equipment, so is it just prettier than the others or are there technical differences as well?<p>Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 240 SE (dagnelson)

(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)<p>Special Models<p>264 Top Executive (1975-81): A limousine version of the 264; many now reside in Germany as they were exported to the former German Democratic Republic for use by the government (which could neither use the low-quality Trabants or Wartburgs nor import "Western" autos like BMWs and Mercedes-Benzes) <br>262 Coupe by Bertone (1977-81): Custom body work and interior from the Italian coachbuilder. The custom body work of these two-doors consisted of a chopped roof and a more raked windshield, for a look that some love and some hate. <br>245T (1977-early 1980's):An un-proportionately styled extended wheelbase station-wagon designed to have three / four rows of seats. <br>242GT (1978-80): Sporty model with tighter suspension and a high-performance motor, although only the former made it to the US market. All US models were silver with black and red racing stripes going from the hood to the side to the trunk. Special black corduroy interior with red stripes. <br>240 Turbo (1981-85): Replaced the GT as the sporty model, equipped with a turbocharged engine, with an intercooler from mid-83. 2-door model available 1981-1984; sedans and wagons available 1982-1985. <br>242 Homologated Turbo (1983). <br>240 SE (1991): Special alloy wheels, all-black grille. <br>240 Polar (1992): European markets only; commonly found in Italy <br>240 Classic (1992 - 1993): Only 1,600 produced in April and May of 1993, half wagons and half sedans; fully equipped interior, body-matched painted grilles and side mirrors, special 14" alloy wheels, "Classic" badges on hatch/decklid, production-number plaque in dash, and special paint colors--ruby red or metallic dark teal green. There are also, however, some classics without all this equipment. Some 1992 model year classics were produced as early as 1991. <br>240 kalsongs: color 139 <br>Volvo produced anniversary models in both 1977 and 1987 with special paint jobs. These are the two models:<p>244 DL Anniversary Car (1977): Volvo released this model to celebrate its fiftieth anniversary. Based on the 244DL, the Anniversary Car was finished in Metallic silver with a black and gold band around the waistline. <br>240 DL Jubileum (1987): Volvo released this model to celebrate its sixtieth anniversary. Like the fiftieth anniversary edition, it was based on the 240DL series, only this time it was available as both a saloon and an estate.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Interesting question. My first 245 was a 1991 Super Polar wagon. It originated from Louisiana and migrated to Ohio years later. IT was used as a promo car at a dealership. You are correct. Super Polars were only found in Italy. I've only seen 1 other Super Polar in the US and that was in Wash DC. As for the special features, it had the 14" wheels found on the classics and SE models, , chrome outlined grill with black vertical bars, painted lower from ground effect under the bumper (usually not painted on other 240s), heated seats, heat rests all around, no factory roof rack, all power windows, mirrors, etc. Most of these features were already standard on the SE. I think the actual difference was the name "super polar." Today, I regret selling it. It was a good ride with over 250000 miles. I recall other 240 owners asking me what a SP was... I wish i had an accurate answer for them.. oh well..

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: 240 SE (dagnelson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>dagnelson</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone have any opinion on the 1991 240 SE? I know it stands for special equipment, so is it just prettier than the others or are there technical differences as well?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>No technical differences -- only accessories, all of which were available in the 1991 MY to anyone with a parts catalog. This is similar to the 1993 240 Classic, whose only <I> truly unique </I> quality (apart from a few body colored exterior trim pieces and different juice in the aircon system) was a boot lid badge and a rather (ahem) inexpensive spray-painted dash plaque embossed with a serialized production number.<p>The significant engineering features for newer (86 or later) 240s were as follows:<p>1986 - 240s fitted with the new generation B200 & B230 engines. Bosch LH-Jetronic 2.2 engine management system, while new and much better than the LH 2.0 (which could be a bit of a dog), didn't permit self diagnosis.<p>1988 - Better wiring harnesses introduced in mid model year. Flame trap relocated higher up on the intake manifold for easier servicing.<p>1989 - 240s equipped with a Dana 1031 differential, featuring a heavier duty ring and pinion. The Dana 1031 had previously only been fitted to M47-equipped (86 & up) cars, the remainder having the Dana 1030. A revised B230F was introduced, with larger main bearings and connecting rods. The 89s and later models were fitted with Bosch LH-Jetronic 2.4 engine management systems that allowed easy retreival of fault codes. <p>1990 - The M47 II 5 speed manual transmission was introduced. It featured revised 5th gear shaft (lower in the case, below the fuild level in the transmission) for better lubrication and longer service life. Overall, much more reliable than the earlier M47s. <p>1993 - CFC-free (R134a) air conditioning introduced, but retrofit kits were still available for many older 240s. Sure makes it easy to charge the aircon.<p>All things considered, one would be well served to look for an 89 or 90 240. After 1990, there were no truly significant engineering features incorporated into the design of the 200-series.<p><br>Hope this helps,<p>Paul

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: 240 SE (RearWheelPaul)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>RearWheelPaul</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1989 - 240s equipped with a Dana 1031 differential, featuring a heavier duty ring and pinion. The Dana 1031 had previously only been fitted to M47-equipped (86 & up) cars, the remainder having the Dana 1030.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Most '80s 240s I see prior to '89 already have the 1031. I have an '88 auto axle (3.73) in my '87 that's a 1031. And M47 equipped would be '87 & up since the '86 had the M46. And many earlier 6cyl and Turbo models had the 1031.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1990 - The M47 II 5 speed manual transmission was introduced. It featured revised 5th gear shaft (lower in the case, below the fuild level in the transmission) for better lubrication and longer service life. Overall, much more reliable than the earlier M47s.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>As far as I know, all US 240 models ('87+) that got the M47 were the M47-II variety. The first generation in Europe introduced around '84 was the weaker version, as far as I know.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After 1990, there were no truly significant engineering features incorporated into the design of the 200-series.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>ABS doesn't count ('91-'93)? The '91+ flush trim windshield is a nice cosmetic feature, too.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: 240 SE (towerymt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>towerymt</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>Most '80s 240s I see prior to '89 already have the 1031. I have an '88 auto axle (3.73) in my '87 that's a 1031. And M47 equipped would be '87 & up since the '86 had the M46. And many earlier 6cyl and Turbo models had the 1031.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Wouldn't argue with that. The dates quoted were those that were officially released by Volvo. This data is also contained in the "New Model Features" manuals that Volvo released throughout the 240s product life.<p>As you're probably aware, the actual date of issue depended on when parts made it to the assembly line. Volvo has always had somewhat loose records keeping and has sometimes installed newer stuff on older chassis and vice versa. This is why:<p>a. folks who restore 240s and 740s have difficulty finding clear records on when certain equipment was introduced; and<p>b. dealers frequently ask for the VIN number when looking for parts on fiche or VADIS.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>towerymt</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> As far as I know, all US 240 models ('87+) that got the M47 were the M47-II variety. The first generation in Europe introduced around '84 was the weaker version, as far as I know.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I've seen a couple of M47-I trannies in North American 240s, most of which have faulty 5th gear bearings from marginal lubrication.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>towerymt</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>ABS doesn't count ('91-'93)? The '91+ flush trim windshield is a nice cosmetic feature, too.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Neither ABS nor windshield trim was unique to the SE, both having been introduced in 1991 as you very correctly pointed out. Nor were the Scorpius alloys, which were available in mid 1990 to anyone who wanted to order them with their 240. I can say this with some conviction as the original owner of an early 1991 240 with the alloys and ABS, all available to anyone walking onto the showroom floor.<p>Having a pretty fair idea of what was available to Volvo in 1993, I've always been somewhat critical of the company's use of the "SE" designator. Back in the day, there were many "real" pieces of equipment that could have been fitted that would have resulted in a special 240. <p>R sport springs and sway bars (neither of which are detrimental to ride comfort), various cam and head configurations (remember, the 240 was one of the cleanest emitting engines of the day), turbo, limited slip differential, chassis braces, 15 or 16 inch wheels, engine oil coolers, were all readily available. And they didn't cost an arm and a leg, meaning that it would have been feasible to fit an SE without bloating the sticker price.<p>But what did Volvo choose for its last "limited" version? A few body colored moldings and a stencilled dash plaque. Pretty special, huh?<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by RearWheelPaul at 6:33 AM 5-31-2006</i>

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: 240 SE (RearWheelPaul)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>RearWheelPaul</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've seen a couple of M47-I trannies in North American 240s, most of which have faulty 5th gear bearings from marginal lubrication.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>I guess my '87 must have the M47-II...235k miles and counting, and just over 100k of those are mine. I've not been kind to it.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Neither ABS nor windshield trim was unique to the SE, both having been introduced in 1991 as you very correctly pointed out.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>OK. I wasn't talking about the SE specifically, and I didn't think you were either... "...the design of the 200-series." is not SE specific, nor were my comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts