SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The family needs a third car and I WAS thinking of buying a 1993 or so 240 (or 740, or 940). They seem to be about $6000 to $12,000 in SoCal. But then the cheaper side of me said why not a 1988 or so 240 for $3000 or so and blow the rest on Gateway stock. Whaddyathink?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The older car may need things like suspension bushings, motor/trans mounts, heater hoses, and other parts that deteriorate with age, but the car should be much cheaper. For more money, you could get a newer car with airbags ('90-on in the 240) and/or ABS ('91-on in the 240), that will likely have less miles. Basically, it's your choice whether you want to pay now or pay later. If you do a lot of your own work, look for an older car, but if you don't do most of your own work, find a newer car that has the added features. Either way, the engine and trans should last as long as you want to drive the car.<P>Good luck.<P>

·
Registered
37 Posts
Honestly, if you have the $, buy the newer car. I bought two $3000 Volvos, an 84 244GL and a 87 745ti. Neither of them had major problems, but they both had a lot of little things to fix. For instance, the 244 went through a mass airflow sensor, some bushings, and needed new transmission cooling lines (the old ones vibrated/cut through.) At least you don't have rust out there - most 240s here in the Northeast are starting to go.<P>The few thousands spent now can go a long way in reducing the hassle of older Volvo ownership. <P>Tom<P>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts