SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the Volvo scene and just aquired a 1992 240 (110k). What sort of performance mods are there for the engine (b230....???)? It is an auto. Oh and by the way, I can get some 240 Turbo wheels for $15.00 each. Is this a good deal? And can a turbo set up from an earlier car fit up to an engine like mine (do the exhaust ports on the heads match up)? Sorry for the random questions......this stuff's been on my mind! Thanks!!!

socalsean

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: 240 Power Mods (socalsean)

That's a nice deal on the wheels.

You could do a cam, adjustable cam gear, exhaust etc. but that won't give you huge gains.

As for the turbo, it'd probably be easier and less work to just swap in a turbocharged motor.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 240 Power Mods ([email protected])

Whats involved in swapping a turbo motor into this car? DO custom mounts need to be made? And adapting the engine computer to the one in my car....how is that accomplished? Thanks again!

socalsean

ps...maybe you could suggest some website for me to gaze at.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

Adding a turbo to your engine is a lot of work, but can be done using parts salvaged from a junkyard from the 240 Turbo, and 700 and 900 series Turbo. It requires a turbo, exh. manifold, oil/water lines, oil cooler, trans cooler (and maybe trans since you have the AW70), downpipe, exhaust, injectors, FPR, ECU, AMM (if you use a different LH injection), wiring harness, airbox, intercooler kit, ignitions parts (adjust timing w/boost), and some other stuff. You also need to add an oil return to the oil pan, or to the block if you pull the engine (block drain is preferred over the pan).

The engine swap to a turbo motor is best done with an entire donor car becuase you need to swap over almost everything, including the fuel system and ignition. Check out http://www.turbobricks.org for some good info. Go through the old posts and look for topics about adding a turbo to a normally aspirated engine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Re: 240 Power Mods (towerymt)

quote:

Adding a turbo to your engine is a lot of work, but can be done using parts salvaged from a junkyard from the 240 Turbo, and 700 and 900 series Turbo. It requires a turbo, exh. manifold, oil/water lines, oil cooler, trans cooler (and maybe trans since you have the AW70), downpipe, exhaust, injectors, FPR, ECU, AMM (if you use a different LH injection), wiring harness, airbox, intercooler kit, ignitions parts (adjust timing w/boost), and some other stuff. You also need to add an oil return to the oil pan, or to the block if you pull the engine (block drain is preferred over the pan).

The engine swap to a turbo motor is best done with an entire donor car becuase you need to swap over almost everything, including the fuel system and ignition. Check out http://www.turbobricks.org for some good info. Go through the old posts and look for topics about adding a turbo to a normally aspirated engine.

Good luck.
Let me just start off by saying I OWN several Turbo cars and the compression is higher on a NON turbo car. You will need dished pistons or a thicker COPPER head gasket.Turbo cars also have stellite valves ( SODIUM FILLED valves)You also have to have a OIL feed not just a drain.Do your self a favor and talk to someone who knows!!You would be MUCH better off switching everything IE engine harness and all from a turbo car use a 1991 and above. Feel free to drop me an E mail.. http://www.swedespeed.com/resources/gallery/auto_shows/westchester_1/rwd/pages/05.html

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Re: 240 Power Mods (Turbo16psi)

quote:

Let me just start off by saying I OWN several Turbo cars and the compression is higher on a NON turbo car. You will need dished pistons or a thicker COPPER head gasket.
Those things aren't required, but obviously they would help the engine handle more boost. What you NEED is good engine management. The B230F can handle boost, but chances are you won't be able to safely run much more than 8-10psi. This is meant to be a low pressure turbo.

quote:

You also have to have a OIL feed not just a drain.
True. I did say "oil/water lines", but I specifically mentioned the oil drain because that's the hard one.

·
Registered
314 Posts

I have a good friend who works for a Soquel, CA Volvo shop (Valle Volvo) who swears by "performance via overboost" on the B230FT engines. He is a crazy guy when it comes to boost. In fact, he recently plopped a B230FT into his 145 wagon (complete with 4.30:1 gears and LSD of course!) with intercooler, etc.. Car hauls ass, but he is having the same luck with M41 transmixers I've been having in my NA Volvos - 2nd gear synchromesh going to the sh***er!!! Anyhow, he says that you can hook up an anti-knock sensor from a Saab and then just crank up the boost for serious fun. Apparently there is over 225 reliable HP to be had and cubic buttloads of torque to be had with overboosted B230FT motors, but one has to periodically check their head gaskets and change the oil at regular intervals.

-he who stacks pork

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.