SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i got this problem where my 92 wagon 240 keeps draining the battery when i park it over night<p> You know how the head lights turn off auto when you shut off the ignition? well sometimes they dont shut off and i have to manually shut it off from the switch, when that happens the battery drains over night. i hate it when you get in your car to go to work and it doesnt start. when the head lights dont act up its fine, i went through 2 new batteries and i dont leave anything running at night, SOMETIMES IT TAKES TWO DAYS OF NOT DRIVING IT TO DRAIN , SOMETIMES ITS OVENIGHT,any help please????

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Re: 240 keeps draining (turkishroyal)

Record the radio code.<p>Turn EVERYTHING OFF.<p>Disconnect the negative battery cable.<p>Disconnect the positive battery cable(s).<p>Clean the battery, all cables and associated ground wires and fusable links, if any.<p>Using a test meter, check between the two battery posts. This is your base battery reading in volts.<p>Connect the negative cable and repeat the test. You should get the same base reading.<p>Now connect the positive cable and repeat the test. You should get the same base reading.<p>If you are still in the dark this is good because now you don't need the meter - just watch closely when you re-connect the positive cable and you may see a strong, distinct spark - this means that something is sucking juice from the battery even with everthing off.<p>I would suspect the headlight switch could be failing.<p>George Dill<p>

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: 240 keeps draining (turkishroyal)

With everything turned off the current drain on the battery should be somewhere around 5 milli-amps, depending on what's installed. Mine is about 4mA. The clock draws current, maybe the radio.<p>Measure that current by disconnecting the negative battery cable and inserting an ammeter in the circuit. Use the 20A scale first then drop it down.<p>Isolate which circuit is causing the drain by removing fuses one at a time and noting the battery current.<p>Once I had a dome light drawing current. Another time a glove box light.<br>

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you think the ignition switch might be bad considering the fact that battery only runs out when the head lights stay on when the ignition is off, it doesnt run out when the head lights turn off automatically when the ignition is off, like its supposed to!

·
Registered
371 Posts
This probably doesn't have anything to do with anything, but I had a battery drain over a couple of days. I used to live in a house with a steep driveway, and occasionally, I'd leave the car parked in the driveway facing out. Drove me nuts, but I never made the connection that the battery was only going dead with the car parked in the driveway facing the street. Turns out that the trunk light was coming on at the same angle that it would with the trunk lid beginning to lift and the downward facing angle was enough to turn on the light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts