SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long weekend ahead..seems like a good time to tear apart my front brakes, for the first time...rotors and pads. Any advice or tips I should know before starting? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: 240 front brake time (vaipunk)

Mark;<p>Is the Sienna gonna be available for back-up?<br>Do you have the new parts yet?<p>Scroll on this for a quick pic...<p><A HREF="http://www.vlvworld.com/200/Section_6_7.htm" TARGET="_blank">http://www.vlvworld.com/200/Section_6_7.htm</A><p>George Dill<br>

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 240 front brake time (gdill2)

of course the Van will be ready..how else will I go get help when I mess up?<p>havn't ordered yet..still not sure if I am ready to do it this weekend....

·
Registered
102 Posts
You may find that the rotors do not want to come off. If you are replacing them, you can pound them out. If not.... well... pull carefully.<p>Oh yes... A common problem on removing the rotors: forgetting to remove the locator pin (or screw) and wondering why the rotor won't come off.<p>Another tip... have an old metal coat hanger handy. You can use it to hold the brake caliper while you have it off. You don't want to let the caliper hang by the hoses.<p>Yet Another tip... get the anti-squeal compound. Most parts stores sell this stuff you squeeze onto the back of your brake pads before you put them in. It forms a shall rubber cushion to keep the brakes from squealing. Volvo brakes are known for squealing if you skip this step.<p>I would also take the time to bleed the brakes and change all the brake fluid with fresh stuff.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Re: (vaipunk)

Use a Bollo rotor/PBR Metalmaster combiniation up front and you will get superior stopping power and very long life. My mechanic swears by this combo for the fronts of the 240s he works on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts