SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Re: 240 Engine in a 740 (leemillerjr)

There are some differences, but a B230 (block) is a B230. The only thing you'd need to sort-out is if the various sensors (ECT, MAF etc.) will interface with the 740's wiring harness and ECU.

If you can tell me more about the model/year of 740 you have and the year of the 240 engine, I might be able to help out...

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote, originally posted by leemillerjr »
IA guy has offered me an engine from a 240 for my 740. Will it work?Modified by gdill2 at 9:18 AM 4-9-2009

While I have never done this swap myself, I have seen it done. The car ran fine and the only way I knew was the distributor was in the 240 spot (in the front on the side, in the block) instead of the 740 spot (on the back of the head). So the answer to your question is yes it will work.

Benjamin Florence

·
Registered
28 Posts

Sorry for the loss of the GLE motor. I had a '85 745 GLE w/auto ZF trans, was really nice.

The swap is not as straight forward as it sounds, especaially if you're not the do-it-your-selfer. The 740 motor having the rear mounted distributor has the cam with a slot, and you woulld need to find a cam with one, because the 240 one may not, unless you want to put the block distributor in there (which I personally wouldn't do)

Also, the 'ancillary' items like alternator/ a/c, and power steeroing pump get mounted differently than a 240, so extra work must be added for that task. It is not a drop-in.

Oh, since your 740 is an '85 GLE it would have3 a B230F engine with LH 2.2 EFI. any 240 motor from '85 through 88 will work, otherwise you will need to put a new sensor for the Coolant temp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts