SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

22K service and dealer is trying to hose me

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  flybynight 
#1 ·
I brought my 04 V70r to Martin's Volvo in Manhattan yesterday for 22K routine service and to fix my brake squeal. I got a call this morning saying that they were working on everthing, but the mechanic noticed "extra sludge" in my oil and recommended a "Power Flush" of the engine and Fuel injector cleaning for an additional cost of $600!!!?!?!!!! The service rep say that since I drive in New York and the car is a whole 2 years old and has massive 22.5K miles on it it should be done.

I passed http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif and frankly I was offended that if this type of maintenance is critical to the protection of the engine it should be covered under warranty period.

Has this happened to anyone else lately?

-MikeB

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 22K service and dealer is trying to hose me (mike9186)

My R is a bit over two years old and I only have 16K on the odometer. My dealer has yet to pull something like this and frankly, knows that I know better.

http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif to your dealer for trying a hose job.

On a side note, I hope you're changing the oil more frequently than the 7500 interval and of course, using synthetic. If not, you may have a bit of build up but not enough to warrant this BS.

#3 ·
Re: 22K service and dealer is trying to hose me (MagoonR)

I have really been doing the 7500 mile service almost to the mile and use synthietic oil. I feel that with synthetic, you really can go that long between changes, unless you race, which I don't.

The other thing that is a pain in the rear is the amount of wheel alignments I have done to this car (3 so far). I have never owned a car that can fall so quickly out of alignment even on NYC roads.

Up until now, Martin's has been really great. Now my trust in them has been completely eroded after this money making sceme they are trying to pull on me.

#4 ·

Did the FDNY show up to give you that hose job or just the service manager!
He must have worked at Jiffy Lube in the past.

Mangoon is right, though, you DON"T need this but you should be changing your oil frequently in the city...every 3k miles at the most. If you do have a buildup, a couple of changes with synthetic should clean it out.

Sheesh. Dealers never cease to amaze me.

#5 ·
Re: 22K service and dealer is trying to hose me (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »
Mangoon is right, though, you DON"T need this but you should be changing your oil frequently in the city...every 3k miles at the most. If you do have a buildup, a couple of changes with synthetic should clean it out.

Since I am a low mileage driver, I split the difference and change every 3750.....with M1 of course.

#6 ·

Quote, originally posted by mike9186 »

I have really been doing the 7500 mile service almost to the mile and use synthietic oil. I feel that with synthetic, you really can go that long between changes, unless you race, which I don't.

It's your car and your money, but if you're in the city and driving the car in the 5 boroughs a lot, that's pretty hard on the whole car, especially the engine. I would definitely drop the oil change interval to 3,000 miles.

Modified by needsdecaf at 8:11 AM 7-25-2006

#7 ·

Agreed. Synthetic oil should (and IMO does) last MUCH longer than standard oil. In my previous turbo car which I drove pretty hard I changed the oil every 5000 and I had zero problems for almost 60k miles.

As long as you are CHECKING the oil every now and then to ensure that it is not too low, I think going the 7500 on Mobil 1 synthetic is not an issue.

#8 ·

First of all, NEVER, EVER go to Martins. They are well...... I won't say for possibility of liable.
You do NOT need a flush
As for your alignment, I have aligned mine 6 times
, (23K miles)

#9 ·
Re: 22K service and dealer is trying to hose me (Tekk)

Quote, originally posted by Tekk »
Agreed. Synthetic oil should (and IMO does) last MUCH longer than standard oil. In my previous turbo car which I drove pretty hard I changed the oil every 5000 and I had zero problems for almost 60k miles.

As long as you are CHECKING the oil every now and then to ensure that it is not too low, I think going the 7500 on Mobil 1 synthetic is not an issue.

Hard driving does not necessarily equate to high RPM's. One could argue that "stop and go" driving is harder on oil.

#10 ·

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

Hard driving does not necessarily equate to high RPM's. One could argue that "stop and go" driving is harder on oil.

True true. I did quite a bit of both tho (high RPMs and stop/go traffic in the blazing summer SoCal heat) and everything still worked flawless.

Maybe my previous car was a freak but I still think that 5000 is the perfect time frame for someone using synthetic.

#11 ·

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

much harder...as the oil is constantly changing temperatures in stop and go...loosing and gaining viscosity...that is why stop-n-go is that much harder on your car. Racing the engine is actually good (well to a certain point)...

#14 ·

I brought my 04 V70r to Martin's Volvo in Manhattan yesterday
-MikeB

Why would you do such a thing?

Kundert Volvo of Englewood is right across the GWB - GO THERE IN THE FUTURE!

Martin's is TERRIBLE!

#15 ·

the mechanic noticed "extra sludge" in my oil and recommended a "Power Flush" of the engine and Fuel injector cleaning for an additional cost of $600!!!?!?!!!!

-MikeB

next they'll want to sell you magic pixie dust which will forever negate the need to obtain routine maintenance--honest! But if they put it in writing, the pixies get really mad so you just have to take their word for it.

...jeez, what douchebags; makes me appreciate the well-meaning if not always on-the-mark dealer I have

#16 ·
Re: 22K service and dealer is trying to hose me (kenschel)

Quote, originally posted by kenschel »
next they'll want to sell you magic pixie dust which will forever negate the need to obtain routine maintenance--honest! But if they put it in writing, the pixies get really mad so you just have to take their word for it.

I think you're referring to the "never wax coating".

#17 ·

"extra sludge" in my oil and recommended a "Power Flush" of the engine and Fuel injector cleaning for an additional cost of $600!!!?!?!!!!

-MikeB

Wow! I thought this type of thing went out with short sticking the dip stick and telling the owner he was a quart low on oil!

Just how can the technician look at the oil and tell there is sludge build up? To look for such a thing you would look at the engine internals, such as oil passages and valleys. This must be some tech to just look at oil and do an instant analysis! It appears some of the "factory trained professionals" took a different curriculum than others.

How does cleaning the injectors have anything to do with the oil sludge? They are not in the same circuit! The fuel injectors do not know if you are dogging the car in New York traffic or out on the highway. Just keep clean fuel in the fuel system and they are fine.

I think I would run, not walk away from this dealer, and if they have done any work before, I would certainly double check that work.

#20 ·
Re: 22K service and dealer is trying to hose me (RearWheelPaul)

This post was from last summer, any real reason to bring it back??

#21 ·
What kills me (besides a knife in the heart) is that some people are stupid enough to do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.