SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've been driving the new-to-me V50 T5 for a couple of months now. I absolutely don't expect a turbo 5 cylinder engine in a reasonably heavy car with AWD to be fuel-efficient. Not in the least. I just want to verify if 22 MPG avg is pretty normal for my situation, or if I should be getting say 25 or 27...

My daily work commute is less than 10 miles each way. Consists of 10 minutes of stop-and-go, 10 minutes of nice 45-50MPH country back roads. I run 93 octane all of the time with the usual 10% ethanol. AC is turned off maybe 1/3 of the time. Just me, no cargo. I'm NOT easy on the throttle but not suicidal either. Mix this with an occasional weekend trip on the highway (20 miles or so).

22 MPG pretty normal, given this? 74k miles on a maintained engine, mobil 1 5w30 inside.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I see about that or maybe a bit higher. There are a lot of factors including tire pressure, local ambient temp, driver etc... If you reset you should see around 30+ highway at 65ish. I can sometimes manage 34avg hwy. My heavy foot gets me down to around 23 with mixed diving. I did pick up a couple MPG changing out the intercooler and spark plugs though. Watch the gap on your replacement plugs. Sometimes it is out of spec.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I get around 22-25mpg in my 2007 V50 T5 AWD w/ 97k miles on it. I use midgrade (89 octane) gasoline and do a mix of highway/city driving normally.
Seems like you're right within range of what I'm getting, and as far as I know this is fairly normal fuel economy for these cars.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
plugs were replaced, air filter, PCV recall/warranty update... timing belt, WP, etc etc. Running synthetic oil for a while too.
Tire pressure is around 35 PSI. Ambient temps range from 65-95F with humidity about the same. This is Raleigh after all :)

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
That's perfectly normal for your car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
my s40 awd 6 spd gets 25-27 mpg with mixed driving. I wish they were a little more fuel efficient. I guess I'm about average with being turbo and awd.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have an awd m66 s40 t5. i honestly dont drive it aggressive, and seldom lean on it. i shift at 3000 rpms and generally maintain speed at 1800- 2000 rpms. i average 20/21 mpg. when i shifted at 2500 rpms id get 22 mpg. i have a mixed commute i guess you could say, but a majority of my driving is suburban oriented roads.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I just want to verify if 22 MPG avg is pretty normal for my situation, or if I should be getting say 25 or 27...

My daily work commute is less than 10 miles each way.
Totally normal. Short trips will give about 20-22, highway cruising 25-27. The AWD cars have a shorter final drive ratio, and get slightly less mpg than FWD, btw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts