SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So, the girlfriend has set her sights on getting an S60R and has found one at a local reputable Volvo dealer. The car is a 2007 with 32k miles, it's a 1 owner lease return (5 year lease), it's bone stock, and appears to be in excellent condition both cosmetically and mechanically. Tires and brakes were just done by the dealer to prep for sale. Unfortunately, according to the dealer it is too old to be CPO.

So, the question is -- she was able to talk them down to $22,500 (I think they were originally asking something like 26k). Is this a reasonable amount for a car with such low miles? It's also probably worth noting that we are in an area where car prices are typically inflated just a bit.

KBB seems to under-value the car (17k) and NADA gives it a value somewhere around 22k. I know that with limited production cars such as the R, true values can be different than what the generic book values state.

Any input would be greatly appreciated -- so thanks in advance!

·
6,436 Posts
Remember - it's a 2000 Design - not worth it for that much. i can think of a handful of cars withing that price range

Spend ~ $25K and get the 2010+ S60

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree. Bit high but with limited production performance cars, people are willing to pay more for something with low miles.

I bought my '06 S60R with 33k miles in March of 2011 with a CPO until Aug 2012 for a tad under $20k (plus taxes, etc.). It's not too late to have them do a CPO on it unless it has an in service date of 10/11/2006 or earlier. They just don't want to do it.

Personally I did not know about how many problems the R's had until recently when my CPO covered my angle gear and head gasket. That was just short of $3k in repairs. She might want to consider something with a warranty instead.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Got my 05 with 37k for 20 grand I think 4 years ago now. If you like it and can afford it buy it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
See if you can get them to add the Volvo VIP warranty. VIP comes in different flavors, but 2 years with a $100 deductible is typical. I can't see spending $22K on a car with no warranty.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I agree with getting a warranty from either the dealer or an outside source. All it takes is one or two things and you'll be glad you have that safety net.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I got a 2007 6-Speed with every feature aside from ground effects (including nav) with 43,000 miles (1-Owner) at a no-name used car dealer back in May. It had no paint-work and completely stock for $20,500.

If I were you, I'd try to talk them down more. It's a total niche car - nobody is going to randomly walk into the dealer looking for a used car and 'end up' with an R. I'd try to get another $500 at least.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I got a 2007 6-Speed with every feature aside from ground effects (including nav) with 43,000 miles (1-Owner) at a no-name used car dealer back in May. It had no paint-work and completely stock for $20,500.

If I were you, I'd try to talk them down more. It's a total niche car - nobody is going to randomly walk into the dealer looking for a used car and 'end up' with an R. I'd try to get another $500 at least.
+1 If they won't budge on price, get them to throw in lots of warranty and goodies. Sometimes it's understandable when they can't move on numbers. But wait a little longer and you might just make them drop it.

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
793 Posts
I was able to extend my Volvo CPO Warranty through the Dealership when I purchaed my 2005 T5M in 2010. I extended it until the 7 year, 100K mile mark. It was a pricy addition, but good peace of mind. The price doesn't seem too far off, given the miles on the car. I would try to have them include all licensing and other fees in with the final purchase price.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I used to live in STL but now live in Indiana. I am visiting family right now in STL and I am so tempted to drive over to this lot and pull a "shutup and take my money". I am a sucker for impulse buys. I already have an R tho for a year w/o any warranty and have had 0 problems (knock on wood). I feel like owning a second would just multiply the chances of expensive repairs so I am going to control myself on this one.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I can get you a (used with very low miles) 2012 S60 T5 (FWD) for 23-24K

·
Registered
520 Posts
Seems a bit high - but if it's what she has her heart set on, can afford it, is willing to live the potential repair issues, go for it - It's obviously a really low mileage car - can be good or bad - low mileage could mean not driven enough for things to break yet...

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
$22,500 is a decent price if you ask me. That is exactly what I paid in the end. I think originally I got them down to $20,500.

I had a very similar buy too, 2006 with only 30,000 miles. The lot I bought the car from was in Chicago and they do a great job of recruiting imports with unnaturally low miles. They had two R's, a black manual with 80,000 and an automatic Titanium grey with 29,050. I actually went to the dealer with the black in mind because I wanted a manual but there was another guy there already finalizing his papers. The Ti grey was listed at $24,500 and I talked them down to $20,500. I feel they are justified to charge a little above average because the R model is rare to begin with and to have low mileage just amplifies the rarity. All in all I still believe you get what you pay for. So many R owners are willing to pick up a defective R with the hopes of fixing it. Some are successful, some are not. I paid top dollar for my car but the Carfax read a perfectly clean 1 owner title. The previous owner also took it in for point inspections at least twice a year. One year of ownership and not a single problem. Keep that in mind too.

During my test drive I took the car to a place called "Ken's Volvo". Good ol Ken was willing to take a look at the car for no charge at all. Very nice guy. He checked it out and assured me everything was in tip top shape and that the car had been garaged its whole life. Before I knew anything about the angle gear, he took a look and it and said it was a good sign that there was no evidence of leaking. Didn't know until later how important that was.

Look at the bright side, at least you aren't shopping for an STI. My friend payed the same for his STI (also 06) as I did for my S60R and his has double the mileage and a jacked up paint job and jacked up window tint. Not to mention the S60R is 100x more luxurious and should be worth more to begin with. Certain cars just demand top dollar.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Just reread post and realized this is for your GF. Is she a fanatic of nice cars? If not, why not go with a non R model? I know my GF wouldn't give a flying F about an R model car.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
During my test drive I took the car to a place called "Ken's Volvo". Good ol Ken was willing to take a look at the car for no charge at all. Very nice guy. He checked it out and assured me everything was in tip top shape and that the car had been garaged its whole life. Before I knew anything about the angle gear, he took a look and it and said it was a good sign that there was no evidence of leaking. Didn't know until later how important that was.
I've heard great things about Ken's. A bit far from me, but apparently its worth it from what I've heard from folks that have been there. An old school very sharp old gent.

PS I did the same with my car--paid a bit more ($23,500 in March '10) for a 34K CPO 2007 SR GT that was a 1 owner. PO is a repeat customer of the dealership, originally sold & serviced from where I bought it. The way I see it, I paid for peace of mind, and thankfully so--CPO came in handy with the valvebody swap, compressor and evaporator replacement. Dealer took care of me and the car has been totally solid ever since.

Just reread post and realized this is for your GF. Is she a fanatic of nice cars? If not, why not go with a non R model? I know my GF wouldn't give a flying F about an R model car.
Funny, my wife convinced me to go with the R over a regular S60 AWD. She's a keeper...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If they did at least a 3/36k VIP warranty with the $100 deductible on that for the price out the door I would consider it if that is what you really want. I had my angle gear, axle and radiator replaced under my GMAC warranty that was very similar in terms to the VIP warranty. 4k in repairs, 3k in just parts alone if I didn't have it. Make sure you have something, as cool as the R is, it will break and it will cost money. At almost 6 years old, I don't care what mileage it is stuff is going to start breaking. If they won't, run away. If it sits for a couple of months see what they will do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gents,

Thanks for the feedback, this has been quite helpful. It seems as though the general concensus is that the price may be a tad high, but not ridiculously so. I am going to try and see if they will include a VIP warranty for that....and if not, perhaps get them to drop the price a bit.

And yes, its for the girlfriend....and yes, she is a keeper! It's not so much the performance she's after, but she has a soft spot for Volvos, wants AWD, and prefers the look of the R to the standard T5 and to the new S60. I think she's ready for a nice, somewhat unique car (her previous car was a Camry after all).

I do understand the maintenance requirements of such a car, as I have previously owned a higher mileage E39 540i sport....here's to hoping its no more needy than that car was!

Thanks again guys....and keep the feedback rolling if you have more to give!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Either get them down to NADA (or even below) or forget it! Don't ever pay $5k over retail - they'll laugh all the way to the bank! Browse cars.con or autotrader, find a nice deal, have it shipped to you & save big $$. That is, unless you want to poop away $5k. My bank won't even finance a car over NADA. To give you a reference, I bought a mint, loaded 2005 w/body kit, w/42k miles from a Volvo dealer in NYC & paid $14,500.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts