SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so are the 21s worth nearly $2500 as an option which is what we have to pay in the UK. Feels like a rip off to me - what are your thoughts?

Currently ordered T8 inscription in Ember Black with perforated charcoal seats and loads of tech including air suspension but with the standard 20s

·
Registered
91 Posts
The bigger the rim after 19, the bumpier the ride and the less gas mileage to carry around the extra weight. I regret getting the 21" option on my order.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I feel like this is at least the second exact same topic in a week or so...

In any event, I wouldn't pay a dime for the 21" wheels. I got them as part of the package with the FE but if I could have opted for 20" or even 19" I would have.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Citivas, sorry I posted twice not realising I had to wait for admin to authorise. Almost identical - you are not seeing double!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
FYI,

I now notice that Tirerack has the 275/40r21 Pirelli's for $305 now. I also noticed that Walmart has a Continental CrossContact for $373 in the same size. When i need to replace, I would probably opt for the Nokians at $332.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
if you have potholes, then you will be certainly spending more the $2500 fixing those bent rims
These rims w/ these tires will not bent that easily. It is not like having 21" rims on a sedan.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I feel like this is at least the second exact same topic in a week or so...

In any event, I wouldn't pay a dime for the 21" wheels. I got them as part of the package with the FE but if I could have opted for 20" or even 19" I would have.
Totally different ride, especially w/ the 19".

·
Registered
157 Posts
20" with regular springs very well tuned. Plus there are many more replacement tire options.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am so confused after reading about air suspension and tire/rim size. Here is what I understand. Grecian or anyone that has some experience in this area, can you please suggest what would be best for what I am looking for?

* greater rim/tire size gives you better handling but will be less comfortable (more bumps felt in the cabin). Of course the looks are great
* smaller rim/tire size absorbs more road irregularities and gives you more comfort (does not handle as well)

I am looking for something that can balance both of these - comfort and handling. If I need to choose between the two, I would probably go to comfort given that we have been Lexus fans until xc90 was launched.

Now, adding the air suspension to the mix, it gets me confused. I have read so many reviews here and on other forums warning of expensive repairs if the car is abused. If I am a careful driver that loves a car that handles well but want to look for more comfort, should I go with the 19 inch wheels with air suspension? The LDOC is tomorrow 10/8 for my order and would love hear from you fine gentlemen.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Keep the 20's, there's not much of a difference in looks between the two. Plus, I hear you folks in the UK have even worse roads than in the U.S.(!) Either way though, the ride is very nice with the air suspension. My friend's mom bought (we couldn't believe she bought it either) an XC90 T6 Inscription with air suspension and I've driven it 3 times and ridden in it 4 more times (heck yes we paraded that car around!!!), the ride is the best I've ever felt on a Volvo other than my mom's old 960. The amazing thing is how well the XC90 handles compared to even our newer S40 T5, it actually rolls less!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I am so confused after reading about air suspension and tire/rim size. Here is what I understand. Grecian or anyone that has some experience in this area, can you please suggest what would be best for what I am looking for?

* greater rim/tire size gives you better handling but will be less comfortable (more bumps felt in the cabin). Of course the looks are great
* smaller rim/tire size absorbs more road irregularities and gives you more comfort (does not handle as well)

I am looking for something that can balance both of these - comfort and handling. If I need to choose between the two, I would probably go to comfort given that we have been Lexus fans until xc90 was launched.

Now, adding the air suspension to the mix, it gets me confused. I have read so many reviews here and on other forums warning of expensive repairs if the car is abused. If I am a careful driver that loves a car that handles well but want to look for more comfort, should I go with the 19 inch wheels with air suspension? The LDOC is tomorrow 10/8 for my order and would love hear from you fine gentlemen.

Thanks
Pretty much. However, the diameter differences are more pronounced in a sedan or wagon vs. a car the size and height of the XC90.

In my opinion, 20" or 21" are the "right" (very subjective) sizes for the XC90. 19" a little softer handling and much bigger gap between wheel and fender, 22" looks fantastic but do expect a firmer ride.

The air suspension will firm up the car, measurably, when in Dynamic mode. Otherwise, it will aid in minimizing (not eliminating) body roll under more aggressive cornering and also absorb some minor road irregularities. I have driven both set ups and one does not make a huge difference over the other but you can tell one from the other. Regular suspension is simpler, the other one more complex but (like anything else in life), complexity does contribute to a little more flavor/flair.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Thanks
The wider tires give you more traction for sports-like handling under regular road conditions. But their handling is worse under adverse road conditions like snow, freezing rain, etc. So the wider tires are less versatile under non-optimal road conditions, whether seasonal or off-roading. The wider tires are also more susceptible to rim damage from potholes, etc. I wouldn't have them if they hadn't come with the package. They may look better but I personally would prefer function over form.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The XC90 has the peculiarity the overall wheel/tire diameter is about 29” for its 18” and 19” wheels but about 30” for its 20”, 21”, and 22” wheels. So the 20” wheels have a tire sidewall depth only slightly less than 19” wheels. On the other hand the 19” tires are narrower at 235mm vs 275mm for the 20”. On balance I prefer the 20”.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Keep the 20's, there's not much of a difference in looks between the two. Plus, I hear you folks in the UK have even worse roads than in the U.S.(!) Either way though, the ride is very nice with the air suspension. My friend's mom bought (we couldn't believe she bought it either) an XC90 T6 Inscription with air suspension and I've driven it 3 times and ridden in it 4 more times (heck yes we paraded that car around!!!), the ride is the best I've ever felt on a Volvo other than my mom's old 960. The amazing thing is how well the XC90 handles compared to even our newer S40 T5, it actually rolls less!
Personally, I think the 21" rims are one of the best looking rims I've seen. So, from a looks standpoint I think many do notice a difference between the two or many wouldn't be having this conversation. However, if you want the most comfortable ride, the Air suspension would be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The XC90 has the peculiarity the overall wheel/tire diameter is about 29” for its 18” and 19” wheels but about 30” for its 20”, 21”, and 22” wheels. So the 20” wheels have a tire sidewall depth only slightly less than 19” wheels. On the other hand the 19” tires are narrower at 235mm vs 275mm for the 20”. On balance I prefer the 20”.
This is a very good point to consider. Something I've been trying to wrap my head around but I think it makes sense now. Basically the sidewalls are nearly identical on the 19 vs 20 so dropping to the 19 for the sake of "more cushion" is not really going to work. But if you want narrower tires for handling then the 19s will give you that.

I have the 21s and I like the ride a lot but I'm interested in other options as well.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Pretty much. However, the diameter differences are more pronounced in a sedan or wagon vs. a car the size and height of the XC90.

In my opinion, 20" or 21" are the "right" (very subjective) sizes for the XC90. 19" a little softer handling and much bigger gap between wheel and fender, 22" looks fantastic but do expect a firmer ride.

The air suspension will firm up the car, measurably, when in Dynamic mode. Otherwise, it will aid in minimizing (not eliminating) body roll under more aggressive cornering and also absorb some minor road irregularities. I have driven both set ups and one does not make a huge difference over the other but you can tell one from the other. Regular suspension is simpler, the other one more complex but (like anything else in life), complexity does contribute to a little more flavor/flair.
Well stated. The 22s look great with the R-design pkg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts