SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2112 s60 brakes groaning (edit: actually 2012)

Been loving my s60 T6 for a year now. The last few months, my brakes will periodically "groan" right before the car stops. No squeal during when brakes applied, just a groan as the wheels stop rotating. Seems to happen randomly with no regard to temperature, time of day, cold car, warmed up car.

I've been to my local dealership twice. The first time they said it was a buildup of brake dust on the rotors. The second time, they sprayed a brake lubricant on the pads, and made some generic statement like "those brakes have known issues" and implied that I would have to live with it.

Anyone else had this issue? Any resolve?

I'm new to Volvo, so I'm not sure at what point I should start asking for parts to be replaced.

Also feel I should mention, that this the best car on the planet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
MagoonR - yes, I dig Rush, but sadly, it was just a typo.

I sure hope folks get that I DID NOT travel 100 years into the future and purchase a S60 with groaning brakes. I do, however, feel comfortable in saying that if the next owner of my 2012 S60 takes good care of it, there should be no problem driving it to a Volvo dealer in 2112 for an oil change and tire rotation....

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What the hell is the dealer doing to your brakes??? Brake lubricant???

My dealer said that too much of the number 7 plastics can result in less than optimal energy generation in the Mr. Fusion energy reactor. Not enough to stall the boosters, but you'll feel the car being sluggish. Unless you've already updated the OS to fusionOS 8.31. I'd also check the flux capacitor. Specifically the dilithium fuse #45. That can throw the anti-gravitational field off when braking and make some strange sounds. But remember to first debug using the a OBD10 scanner. Use port 108 to connect it to the car and you'll access the braking module in real-time.

Oh wait... you've got a 2012 S60. Nevermind. :p

But really, my s40 will groan now and then, but not too often. It's especially bad after it's been sitting out in the rain.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Does the groaning also happen when you're sitting on the brakes and ease up a bit as the car moves forward slightly? If so, my S80 does it and so did my Infiniti before it. Neither car squealed or anything during braking but they were definitely a little noisy when inching forward and what not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the groaning also happen when you're sitting on the brakes and ease up a bit as the car moves forward slightly? If so, my S80 does it and so did my Infiniti before it. Neither car squealed or anything during braking but they were definitely a little noisy when inching forward and what not.
The noise happens during the last half second before the car comes to a complete stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dealer said that too much of the number 7 plastics can result in less than optimal energy generation in the Mr. Fusion energy reactor. Not enough to stall the boosters, but you'll feel the car being sluggish. Unless you've already updated the OS to fusionOS 8.31. I'd also check the flux capacitor. Specifically the dilithium fuse #45. That can throw the anti-gravitational field off when braking and make some strange sounds. But remember to first debug using the a OBD10 scanner. Use port 108 to connect it to the car and you'll access the braking module in real-time.

Oh wait... you've got a 2012 S60. Nevermind. :p

But really, my s40 will groan now and then, but not too often. It's especially bad after it's been sitting out in the rain.
Lots of funny folks on this site...glad I made the typo! Good stuff.

I know what you are talking about with the wet brakes. I washed my s60 and after drying off the outside, I put it in the garage. A few days later, when I went to back it out, it lunged a little bit when the corrosion busted free. A few stops and no more noise. That all made sense, so no worries.

The random groaning that I am hearing does not make sense, and that's what worries me. It is nothing like the wet brake sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.