SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at my Volvo dealership in New Hampshire getting service on my 2018 XC60 Rdesign. In showroom they had 2019 XC60 Rdesign with 21” tires with this weird looking black plastic around wheel wells . I have the 22” wheel option on my 2018 XC60 but came with full body color extended fender . This had a cheap black hard plastic stricken out Acting as a fender flare I guess ? So this the new thing if you get 21” wheels? I would rather just get 20” wheels have nothing or go all in and get 22” and get real body color fender put on. Skip the 21” wheels if going look like this video. https://youtu.be/qloyb4rxUI8
I didn’t see this on VOLVO build site.
I also pointed this out to a salesman who walk by and he never noticed it and didn’t know what it on there for. So I told him what Volvo does with 22” wheels you get fender flares. So maybe with 21” you get this.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Was at my Volvo dealership in New Hampshire getting service on my 2018 XC60 Rdesign. In showroom they had 2019 XC60 Rdesign with 21” tires with this weird looking black plastic around wheel wells . I have the 22” wheel option on my 2018 XC60 but came with full body color extended fender . This had a cheap black hard plastic stricken out Acting as a fender flare I guess ? So this the new thing if you get 21” wheels? I would rather just get 20” wheels have nothing or go all in and get 22” and get real body color fender put on. Skip the 21” wheels if going look like this video. https://youtu.be/qloyb4rxUI8
I didn’t see this on VOLVO build site.
I also pointed this out to a salesman who walk by and he never noticed it and didn’t know what it on there for. So I told him what Volvo does with 22” wheels you get fender flares. So maybe with 21” you get this.
It’s funny you mention this - I was at my dealer a couple of weeks ago getting my new windshield installed and noticed the same thing. It does look odd as it’s not a full fender flare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was funny the salesman desk was right next to car and he never noticed it. So I pointed to other XC60 with 18”-20” tires and none had it. Looks cheap and funny. I would just stick with 18-20 wheels then or 22” and get real fender flares. This my 2018 with 22" with real fender flares .https://youtu.be/MzHWC-7y040

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just noticed while watching my video of my fender flares that the back wheels only has little extra extension at 10:00 o’clock looking at your wheel . At dealer on that same car had only about 4 inches black hard plastic stricken out at 10 o’clock also. Sorry didn’t take picture of that today.
So I am guessing that the main area 10 o’clock on wheel wear you need fender extension to help with debri & water splashing on vehicle. Then back wheels look more funny with only about 4 inch part stricken out on 21” wheels.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
That piece is called a Retaining Strip, it is included with the Fender Extensions if you get the 22" Wheels. I wonder if they added this because customers with the 21" wheels were complaining about excessive spray on the fenders?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That piece is called a Retaining Strip, it is included with the Fender Extensions if you get the 22" Wheels. I wonder if they added this because customers with the 21" wheels were complaining about excessive spray on the fenders?
You mean must be included with 💥21”💥 wheels. My 22” don’t have that black piece, I just look in my garage. Look at video I post earlier. My 22” have real fender flares.
Yah they must be there because the excessive spray you get with 21” compare too 18”-20"👍🏼

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
You mean must be included with 21” wheels. My 22” don’t have that black piece, I just look in my garage. Look at video I post earlier. My 22” have real fender flares.
Yah they must be there because the excessive spray you get with 21” compare too 18”-20"
Sorry I was looking at the wrong installation instructions showing the Retainer Strip being removed before the Fender Extensions were put on.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Went through my Google Photos from when I test drove a 2018 XC60 RD and those Retaining Strips were on 2018's with 21" wheels. Never paid attention until now.

Sent from my Samsung S9+

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup that them👍🏼 Wait until you se back wheels. The retain strip only about 4 inches,at 10 o’clock looking at wheel straight on.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The excessive spray is inside the rear door. Mud flaps contain the spray on the body panels very well. The inside of the doors are a mess and there is an aftermarket molding kit for that, but it's kinda ugly.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
The excessive spray is inside the rear door. Mud flaps contain the spray on the body panels very well. The inside of the doors are a mess and there is an aftermarket molding kit for that, but it's kinda ugly.
I'm aware of the rear doors getting dirt inside of the frame meeting the rear wheel well. That aftermarket piece is kinda ugly like you mentioned and I don't plan on getting it. I coated that area of the rear doors with ceramic coating and it really keeps the dirt from building up; I also hand wash my cars and make it a point to make sure the mitt gets in there, lol!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts