SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the 2023 XC40 (Gas) but am not a fan of the "Crystal Shifter" that seems to be included in all the "Plus" trims, which is what I will probably get..

The Ultimate Trim level says it uses a "Sculpted Gear Selector" instead of the "Crystal Shifter", but I have also seen dealer photos of Ultimate cars with the Crystal Shifter as well, so I'm a bit confused.

But if I end-up with one with a Crystal Shifter, Is there any way to swap-out the crystal shifter for the "Sculpted Black Gear Selector" in its place?
Anyone know the part number for a black shifter and if a swap out is possible?

Thanks.

Michael

· Registered
2022.5 XC90 T8 ER Inscription
143 Posts
I wish! We have a 22.5 XC90 with that godawful monstrosity of a shifter that others seem to like and our dealer told us we were stuck with it. It’s even worse at night when it’s the brightest thing in the cabin. I need to find out what fuse goes to the backlight…

· Premium Member
5,926 Posts
There had been a thread where someone did a swap, but it was far more involved than just physically swapping the part. I really like the crystal shifter both in looks, but more so in the feel. I'd check it out in person before passing.

I believe the sculpted shifter is on the Ultimate darks with the suede interior. Though It's not well defined or even listed in the order guide. I'm just going off early training memory and a few glasses of wine.

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There had been a thread where someone did a swap, but it was far more involved than just physically swapping the part. I really like the crystal shifter both in looks, but more so in the feel. I'd check it out in person before passing.

I believe the sculpted shifter is on the Ultimate darks with the suede interior. Though It's not well defined or even listed in the order guide. I'm just going off early training memory and a few glasses of wine.
DFrantz,

I played around with the "Build Your own" on the Volvo Website, and it looks like you may be right...

If you choose the 'Ultimate' or the "Plus" with "Dark Theme" and then choose the "Charcoal Connect Suede" interior, then the photo shows the interior with the "Sculpted gear selector" instead of the "Crystal shifter"..

But if looks like almost any other combination (using the "Leather" interior or changing to the "Bright" theme) gets you the Crystal Shifter...

Very strange, if really true...

Michael

· Premium Member
5,926 Posts
The vast majority of people like the crystal shifter... I had one customer almost order an XC90 Plus just to avoid it though... her family talked her out of it and she got the Ultimate and admitted to me it's growing on her.

Why they kept the suede interior is beyond me though. That's probably the least desirable part of the R-Design... and they dropped the black roof, which was one of the best parts... again... people at Volvo need to get out on the ground more.

Reactions: RamRickVo90

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The vast majority of people like the crystal shifter... I had one customer almost order an XC90 Plus just to avoid it though... her family talked her out of it and she got the Ultimate and admitted to me it's growing on her.

Why they kept the suede interior is beyond me though. That's probably the least desirable part of the R-Design... and they dropped the black roof, which was one of the best parts... again... people at Volvo need to get out on the ground more.
DFrantz,

Thanks.

I just find it big and bulbous and bright and think that it honestly looks like an illuminated adult marriage device.. if you get my drift....

But I also now see that the only way to get the "Sculpted Gear Selector" is to choose the "Charcoal Connect Suede Textile/Microtech in Charcoal interior"..

And I would have to see the Suede interior to see if I like it.. I tend to doubt it.. can't imagine sitting on "Suede" seats..

I haven't seen a car yet with the "Suede" interior.. they seem to mainly come with the Smooth leather...

What is strange is that when you choose the "Dark" along with the "Suede" interior, it also changes the Steering Wheel to "Tailored Sport Steering Wheel" as well..

And it changes the dash inlay to a weird looking metallic/aluminum trim instead of the driftwood, which looks a bit "classier" to me..

Strange combinations indeed...

I may end up just going with the Leather interior and living with the Crystal shifter.. maybe it will grow on me.. or I can always 'wrap' it with some sort of tape...

Michael

· Premium Member
5,926 Posts
DFrantz,

Thanks.

I just find it big and bulbous and bright and think that it honestly looks like an illuminated adult marriage device.. if you get my drift....

But I also now see that the only way to get the "Sculpted Gear Selector" is to choose the "Charcoal Connect Suede Textile/Microtech in Charcoal interior"..

And I would have to see the Suede interior to see if I like it.. I tend to doubt it.. can't imagine sitting on "Suede" seats..

I haven't seen a car yet with the "Suede" interior.. they seem to mainly come with the Smooth leather...

What is strange is that when you choose the "Dark" along with the "Suede" interior, it also changes the Steering Wheel to "Tailored Sport Steering Wheel" as well..

And it changes the dash inlay to a weird looking metallic/aluminum trim instead of the driftwood, which looks a bit "classier" to me..

I may end up just going with the Leather interior and living with the Crystal shifter.. maybe it will grow on me.. or I can always 'wrap' it with some sort of tape...

Michael
Yeah it's sorta a carry over of the old R Design elements. The suede seats are comfortable, but they're just not as as nice. I'd prefer fake leather myself. I don't think Volvo ever bothered to survey on the suede seats, they just assumed people loved them. In reality, people put up with them because they loved the rest of the sporty R Design.

· Registered
143 Posts
The trim levels are nicely designed to do their job—get you to pay for stuff you don’t want to get stuff you really want. We got the top package (Inscription at the time, Ultimate now) to get ventilated front seats and rear window shades. I’ll admit I’m now never going without a HUD so Volvo might know my needs better than I do. Except for the crystal monstrosity. The only saving grace is the seal (cue Arrested Development reference).

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The trim levels are nicely designed to do their job—get you to pay for stuff you don’t want to get stuff you really want. We got the top package (Inscription at the time, Ultimate now) to get ventilated front seats and rear window shades. I’ll admit I’m now never going without a HUD so Volvo might know my needs better than I do. Except for the crystal monstrosity. The only saving grace is the seal (cue Arrested Development reference).

unfortunately, I don't believe the XC40 have ventilated seats or HUD.. I think I would need to move up to the XC60 for those, but that is a bit bigger and more expensive then we wanted (.. we already have an XC90 Inscription and love it!).

· Registered
31 Posts
DFrantz,

Thanks.

Michael
I promise you Michael you will indeed grow to love the crystal shifter. I think it looks super classy and everyone comments on mine. I am thankful for this small piece of luxury. ~Rick

· Registered
143 Posts
unfortunately, I don't believe the XC40 have ventilated seats or HUD.. I think I would need to move up to the XC60 for those, but that is a bit bigger and more expensive then we wanted (.. we already have an XC90 Inscription and love it!).
Darn! I want a C40 or XC40 Recharge to replace my commuter car (or EX30…). I’ll just have to remind myself that my CR-V also doesn’t have a HUD :p

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I promise you Michael you will indeed grow to love the crystal shifter. I think it looks super classy and everyone comments on mine. I am thankful for this small piece of luxury. ~Rick
Yep.. I just purchased an XC40 Plus with a bunch of additional tech packages in black with the black interior and the crystal shifter...

Agree the suede interior isn't worth it just to get the other black shifter.

Certainly not a "deal killer" by any stretch.. great car otherwise...

And hopefully, it will grow on me as you say...

Regards,

Michael

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep.. I just purchased an XC40 Plus with a bunch of additional tech packages in black with the black interior and the crystal shifter...

Agree the suede interior isn't worth it just to get the other black shifter.

Certainly not a "deal killer" by any stretch.. great car otherwise...

And hopefully, it will grow on me as you say...

Regards,

Michael
Wish the steering wheel heater also heated the crystal shifter..

Dang that thing is cold after leaving the car out over a very cold evening... like grabbing a hunk of ice... 🥶

1 - 15 of 15 Posts