SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First time Volvo driver, first time I am starting a post in the forum.

I had a T6 ordered since July 2021 and it arrived yesterday.
I have been driving since 2017 an almost fully loaded BMW 420d Gran Coupe which had hp limited to 163 for company car fiscal reasons.

The new XC60 T6 with 350hp is just awesome.
I am still in discovery mode but here are my first impressions:
  • The drive is very pleasant. I know it is not correct to compare it to my previous car but still I was not expecting so much difference.
  • The engine is almost inaudible, despite 21" rims ride comfort is amazing.
  • The drive in electric mode has more than enough power for me to do all my daily driving comfortably (previous car had 163hp, the electric engine is 145hp so just the electric engine is close to what I had before)
  • The car is (or feels) huge, I need to get used to it
  • Real life range of the battery seems to be around 60-65 kms
  • Maps, Spotify, TuneIn works very well so far
  • Maps on digital instrument cluster has a great quality, looks sharp and clean

My current verdict is that as a car it is very good.

Now, cars are becoming more and more computers. I can confirm that I have all the shortcomings that is listed in various topics in the forum:
  • No CarPlay/Android Auto (I really hope this comes soon)
  • VOC app not having localisation
  • VOC app not being consistent (I had several times connection errors in less than 48hours)
  • Play Store offering is very weak
  • Digital Instrument Cluster blank screen is a shame
  • Regular Cruise Control gone (I have Pilot Assist) + arrows on left of the steering are useless
  • The level of detail available about the stats of power usage/fuel usage is close to none (this is very annoying, I'd love some e-driving stats)
I think all these can be addressed with Software Updates. I know some XC40 drivers have been waiting for more that a year, I hope waiting from this point on will be shorter.

The drive modes is gone as well but in the T6 Recharge the way the acceleration pedal is done makes you feel all the control is under your foot. I have managed to keep the car in electric with no adaptation time needed. But when you floor, the power is there very quickly.
I still think Volvo needs to put a small car logo on the opposite side of the camera button, when you touch it should give drive modes directly. Or implement Drive modes in the gear selector.

A strange thing: No more front fog lights (I don't care about them) but the button on the stalker is still there (why?)
Annoying thing: the wireless charger pad takes so much place in center console, I'd have loved to be able to free space by having it removable

All participants of the forum shared so much info while I was waiting for delivery that I felt home immediately, thanks to all of you for that. Here are some pics.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
358 Posts
Fog lights aren’t possible on PHEV models due to the extra fan + radiator in the lower right bumper area. As for the stalk module, since fog lights are an option on many models it wasn’t worth it to increase the amount of variation that already exists between heated steering wheel and knee airbags

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fog lights aren’t possible on PHEV models due to the extra fan + radiator in the lower right bumper area. As for the stalk module, since fog lights are an option on many models it wasn’t worth it to increase the amount of variation that already exists between heated steering wheel and knee airbags
This actually makes sense, thanks!

When I saw your name I thought for a sec you'll share a CarPlay update :):)

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are T6 recharge 355PS and T8 recharge 455PS versions in the EU

View attachment 143976
It appears unfortunately that the US-bound T8 ”extended range” has the new 18 kWh battery but retains the 87HP electric motor. With multiple vestigial switches and the complaints about the android infotainment system, it seems that the XC60 recharge is work in progress… or the supply chain challenges of the past two years have prevented the refresh of components… best wait for MY’23?

·
Registered
129 Posts
It appears unfortunately that the US-bound T8 ”extended range” has the new 18 kWh battery but retains the 87HP electric motor. With multiple vestigial switches and the complaints about the android infotainment system, it seems that the XC60 recharge is work in progress… or the supply chain challenges of the past two years have prevented the refresh of components… best wait for MY’23?

Apparently the jury is still out with regard to whether the U.S. gets the same motor in the US-bound T8 "extended range" despite what may have been suggested. Apparently the dealers have not been informed that the motor is remaining the same and will be less powerful than that in Europe. Extended Range XC90 models now being delivered in Europe have the boosted engine and no longer have the supercharger. This is what was expected for the U.S. as well. Would certainly welcome any confirmation one way or the other from insider adaone.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Volvo on EU market has replaced the current XC60 87 HP electric motor with a new 142 HP unit, raising total system power from 400 to 455 horsepower
It is likely that this T8 model with a stronger electric motor will soon be available on the US market

·
Registered
358 Posts
When changeovers happen, it’s all-or-nothing. When MY22 XC60s were released, all units have Android Automotive and the revised radar systems. All launches are developed for years in advance to have all systems integrated together.

Just as those two software/electrical systems are tied together, the different powertrain components of this hybrid refresh won’t be separated. Delays in supply chains/COVID restrictions around launch times don’t make it feasible to re-engineer the different versions of these systems and undo years of planning just for some straggling units before/right after the change is planned to be implemented.

What can happen is that the outgoing generation of components are sent to lower-volume factories (say US) to be used up while the bread-and-butter factories get the new stock.

Often times too, market-specific and special edition models are restricted/batched for when the time is right. Main examples are MHEVs which were produced since MY21 but restricted to US market until MY22. P*E units are often batched into specific production cycles and not an everyday occurrence. To me it looks like the MHEV plan is being adopted with the PHEV revision rollout. But this time it’ll just be a slower drip of units to the US since home market roll-outs always seem to be prioritized

·
Registered
9 Posts
When changeovers happen, it’s all-or-nothing. When MY22 XC60s were released, all units have Android Automotive and the revised radar systems. All launches are developed for years in advance to have all systems integrated together.

Just as those two software/electrical systems are tied together, the different powertrain components of this hybrid refresh won’t be separated. Delays in supply chains/COVID restrictions around launch times don’t make it feasible to re-engineer the different versions of these systems and undo years of planning just for some straggling units before/right after the change is planned to be implemented.

What can happen is that the outgoing generation of components are sent to lower-volume factories (say US) to be used up while the bread-and-butter factories get the new stock.

Often times too, market-specific and special edition models are restricted/batched for when the time is right. Main examples are MHEVs which were produced since MY21 but restricted to US market until MY22. P*E units are often batched into specific production cycles and not an everyday occurrence. To me it looks like the MHEV plan is being adopted with the PHEV revision rollout. But this time it’ll just be a slower drip of units to the US since home market roll-outs always seem to be prioritized
Thank you @adaone. What you write makes so much sense - it would be good to see this confirmed by Volvo. So far, both the price list and email communication point to the opposite. And my dealer can’t seem to get a straight answer. I’d love to order the car for OSD but I‘d like to know what I’m ordering first. I searched everywhere and the model number is of no use either.…does anyone know where to look this up?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thank you @adaone. What you write makes so much sense - it would be good to see this confirmed by Volvo. So far, both the price list and email communication point to the opposite. And my dealer can’t seem to get a straight answer. I’d love to order the car for OSD but I‘d like to know what I’m ordering first. I searched everywhere and the model number is of no use either.…does anyone know where to look this up?
No problem, I can’t speak as the propulsion engineer or PR mouthpiece, but that’s at least how it always works. Perhaps there’s some sort of approval needed for power listings. Say they can state the kWh has nominally changed yet the HP increase hasn’t been certified or something…

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

Volvo's factory in the US has nothing to do with the production of the XC60

And laws can be a problem. Maybe that model has to go through homologation.

There are countries where laws regulate the sale of modified engines of different power and specifications than those for which they have been approved.
The US has different laws from the EU
I remember an example that the SQ5 model was not sold on the US market as in the EU, because it was 30 mm lower than the standard model. SQ5 was sold on the US market as a regular Q5, it was not 30 mm lower due to legal regulations
You have more examples, active lights were not allowed in the US until a year or two ago and........

·
Registered
129 Posts
active lights were not allowed in the US until a year or two ago and........
if adaptive headlights are being referenced, they were offered as a listed included option on my Mercedes from over a decade ago. Interestingly when I picked up the U.S. spec car in Europe on European Delivery the feature was missing. To compensate Mercedes gave me an extra year on my warranty. I would be surprised to learn that it has taken over a decade to include adaptive headlights.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aaaaaaaand here we go!

My interior lights don't turn on when I unlock the car. Tried rebooting the system, no luck so far.
I left the car for the night and will check in the morning.

So much for hoping a "no bug" experience.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Aaaaaaaand here we go!

My interior lights don't turn on when I unlock the car. Tried rebooting the system, no luck so far.
I left the car for the night and will check in the morning.

So much for hoping a "no bug" experience.
A lightning bug. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts