SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three months ago I purchased a 22 B5. It had multiple check engine lights right off the bat. In the latest iteration, the dealer had to contact Volvo because of codes that were unfamiliar to them. They are now in the process of replacing check valves and hose. Due to supply issues its a two week wait on parts.

The service techs are working hard and I have no issues with them. The issue is this a 3 month old car. First time I had a new car have so many issues. A caution to those considering this luxury car.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Unfortunately I had a much worse experience than you. Of course individuals attacked me on the forum when I complained.
Answers, all manufacturers have problems, exist factory warranty, Volvo service technicians will fix the problems and similar answers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry to hear about your experience. Both with the car and with the forum.

I can’t imagine anyone would not be frustrated by needing to have a brand new car be serviced so many times.

Was yours also a 22 B5 xc60 ? And what issues did the car have?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
@BigBang is a bit of a troll, probably by his own admission as well. He DOES have some useful info, and certainly is willing to dig for research, so unlike many, I don't have him blocked. Having been in the industry for over a decade, with several brands, it's actually not uncommon at all to have some issues, especially for a brand new power train (well it's new for the US). Most cars don't, but it's not unusual either. As far as parts go, everything is in an incredible shortage right now, that's just a challenge of the times. Lemon law varies by state, but it would have to be out of service for 30 days or 3 times for the exact same problem in a year for PA as an example. Check Engine Light on is not an example of the same problem. Lemon law isn't a quick and easy solution either. You'd be better off probably trading it in for something different if you don't want the car anymore and don't want to wait a long time. Resale values are pretty strong.

There have been growing pains with the B5/6 motors and getting all the software happy. I don't think we've had any with a check valve though. The one memory battery has been the only repeat hardware part I've heard of, most of the challenges have been with software thus far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you DFrantz.

Yes, Lemon Law is not applicable…yet. Frankly I am also hopeful it won’t get to that point. But this feels problematic enough to flag it for those considering purchasing this model car.

I am glad to hear you have mot encountered valve issues, though should that make me extra worried that I got a “lemon”?

At the end of the day its just quite frustrating.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Don't kill me for asking this, but are you absolutely sure that you are not eligible for lemon law? Lemon law is usually repairing a problem more than three times or being off the road for a certain period of time (I think 30 days).

I'm really, really sorry to read about this. getting a new car should be fun and exciting. What you are going through here is just not right.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
403 Posts
Unfortunately I had a much worse experience than you. Of course individuals attacked me on the forum when I complained.
Answers, all manufacturers have problems, exist factory warranty, Volvo service technicians will fix the problems and similar answers
I don't think you were ever attacked for your initial posting. It's the 3 years of bitter ex posting that people are frustrated about. You've been talking about selling that car and buying a new BMW for at least 2 of those years and I think at this point we'd appreciate if you did that and stopped posting here, but hey, Christmas has already passed so maybe for my birthday?

+1 to checking lemon law rules in your state. I personally try to avoid new model years (SPA '18 comes to mind) but I hope they're able to get this resolved for you.

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
Again, it's perfectly normal to have a car need something when new. It's great that you've never had that before... There is an entire study from JD Power every year on initial quality, it's because it's absolutely assumed some cars will need some repairs.. it's not indicative of having a lemon at all. Case and point... the number one ranked brand is Ram... and they have 128 problems per 100 vehicles... so on avg, every car comes back in, and that's the best! Now realistically, it's one car with 2 or 3 problems, but by the numbers... that's how they break it down. For Volvo it was at 210. Again, mostly this has been software. I expect the number to get higher with the launch of the google system, though I'm very much a fan of it.

However, with parts delayed, it can put cars into legal lemon status that wouldn't normally. The laws exist for a reason, but I would say it's putting the cart before the horse at this point, still it's good to be an educated consumer.

Reactions: northcar

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
@BigBang is a bit of a troll, probably by his own admission as well. He DOES have some useful info, and certainly is willing to dig for research, so unlike many, I don't have him blocked. Having been in the industry for over a decade, with several brands, it's actually not uncommon at all to have some issues, especially for a brand new power train (well it's new for the US).
After all, I don't care if someone blocked me or not.
There are problems with all the cars in the world, I have written this many times, but what I experienced with the new Volvo I will never forget.
I do not mean problems such as parts that fall out, or white spots that appear on the interior trim of the door or poor design of the rear fender, ie the door on which mud / snow collects ........ and other software or hardware problems
An experience that can never be forgotten and for which Volvo is responsible, ie the department that writes the software for the gearbox and engine, although they knew about the problem, they never warned anyone about it.

To all who think that what I have experienced is insignificant, I wish them to experience the same in their beloved Volvo with their family - only those 5-6 sec
Nothing less and nothing more

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don't think you were ever attacked for your initial posting. It's the 3 years of bitter ex posting that people are frustrated about. You've been talking about selling that car and buying a new BMW for at least 2 of those years and I think at this point we'd appreciate if you did that and stopped posting here, but hey, Christmas has already passed so maybe for my birthday?
What you write about?
I have been attacked by individuals since the first post with a problem that I waited 8 months for Volvo to solve

Yes, exactly my intention was to sell Volvo, but even after 8 months of selling, I did not receive an offer and I gave up selling
In the country where I am, Volvo is not a popular car at all Believe it or not, there are more Ferrari on street than Volvo cars

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't kill me for asking this, but are you absolutely sure that you are not eligible for lemon law? Lemon law is usually repairing a problem more than three times or being off the road for a certain period of time (I think 30 days).

I'm really, really sorry to read about this. getting a new car should be fun and exciting. What you are going through here is just not right.
Thank you for your solidarity.

In my state Lemon Law doesnt kick in until the car can not be driven for 30 days.

·
Registered
95 Posts
@BigBang is a bit of a troll, probably by his own admission as well. He DOES have some useful info, and certainly is willing to dig for research, so unlike many, I don't have him blocked. Having been in the industry for over a decade, with several brands, it's actually not uncommon at all to have some issues, especially for a brand new power train (well it's new for the US). Most cars don't, but it's not unusual either. As far as parts go, everything is in an incredible shortage right now, that's just a challenge of the times. Lemon law varies by state, but it would have to be out of service for 30 days or 3 times for the exact same problem in a year for PA as an example. Check Engine Light on is not an example of the same problem. Lemon law isn't a quick and easy solution either. You'd be better off probably trading it in for something different if you don't want the car anymore and don't want to wait a long time. Resale values are pretty strong.

There have been growing pains with the B5/6 motors and getting all the software happy. I don't think we've had any with a check valve though. The one memory battery has been the only repeat hardware part I've heard of, most of the challenges have been with software thus far.
Ya know, I really think given so many computer controlled items in modern cars, companies need to start more heavily investing in coders. Computers run everything. Reliability isn't just about the mechanical portion of the vehicle (those are generally solid these days). Today having a fantastic motor, 100s of micro processors, and bad software leaves you just as dead on the side of the road -or at the least, unsafe. Don't 3rd party your code (car companies).

Sent from an annoying phone using unbridled frustration.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
403 Posts
What you write about?
I have been attacked by individuals since the first post with a problem that I waited 8 months for Volvo to solve
Ah, I see, you interpret basically every response to you as an attack. That thread actually looks fairly helpful. You're incredibly aggressive and that's definitely not the first post you contributed here because everyone is already calling you out for being aggressive.

Yes, exactly my intention was to sell Volvo, but even after 8 months of selling, I did not receive an offer and I gave up selling
In the country where I am, Volvo is not a popular car at all Believe it or not, there are more Ferrari on street than Volvo cars
You could still just... not post here. The complaint is that you're a broken record and rude to other members.

Ya know, I really think given so many computer controlled items in modern cars, companies need to start more heavily investing in coders. Computers run everything. Reliability isn't just about the mechanical portion of the vehicle (those are generally solid these days). Today having a fantastic motor, 100s of micro processors, and bad software leaves you just as dead on the side of the road -or at the least, unsafe. Don't 3rd party your code (car companies).

Sent from an annoying phone using unbridled frustration.
+1. Software Engineers are massively underpaid and underrepresented in the automotive industry. Part of the problem is that their culture is not conducive to writing good code. I worked at Cruise a few years ago, a self driving car company that was acquired by GM, and that company was basically left completely alone by GM because by their own acknowledgement, they couldn't retain or maintain a culture that allowed software engineers to succeed like they could in Silicon Valley. Their processes were slow and archaic which in some ways was a necessity driven by automotive safety culture, but it meant writing bad code that once released was rarely touched.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Ah, I see, you interpret basically every response to you as an attack. That thread actually looks fairly helpful. You're incredibly aggressive and that's definitely not the first post you contributed here because everyone is already calling you out for being aggressive.
I'm not interested in your opinion at all
Whether I am aggressive or not is decided by the forum administrator

You could still just... not post here. The complaint is that you're a broken record and rude to other members.
I will write where I want
If you don’t like my comments, you have two options
1. do not read
2. You have the ignore option

I am not violating the rules of the forum, because if I did, it would be banned

Relax and enjoy life

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
403 Posts
I'm not interested in your opinion at all
Whether I am aggressive or not is decided by the forum administrator

I will write where I want
If you don’t like my comments, you have two options
1. do not read
2. You have the ignore option

I am not violating the rules of the forum, because if I did, it would be banned

Relax and enjoy life
You're complaining about being attacked: I'm telling you it's not out of our love for Volvo, it's out of our lack of tolerance for your attitude. If you don't want to be attacked, tone down the aggression. If you want to keep being a rude prick, expect to get treated in return.

Sorry to hijack OP, this is recurrent and I shouldn't take the bait. I hope you're able to resolve your issue.

·
Registered
353 Posts
IMO, some of you Volvo diehard fans need to grow a thicker skin. When an unhappy owner expresses his dissatisfaction with Volvo, it’s not an attack on YOUR decision/selection in vehicle. Gosh, don’t take the criticism so personal. Different opinions make the world go around. Some people will be satisfied, others will not. I‘d like to hear from both. This place would be a much boring place if everyone shared the same exact opinion.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
403 Posts
IMO, some of you Volvo diehard fans need to grow a thicker skin. When an unhappy owner expresses his dissatisfaction with Volvo, it’s not an attack on YOUR decision/selection in vehicle. Gosh, don’t take the criticism so personal. Different opinions make the world go around. Some people will be satisfied, others will not. I‘d like to hear from both. This place would be a much boring place if everyone shared the same exact opinion.
To be clear, I don't think anyone has ever gone diehard fan on BigBang. He complains, someone says "ya that sucks, hope it goes well" and he launches in to some tirade about Volvo is the worst thing since climate change and they're trying to murder his gene pool, etc.

In general, I think this forum is pretty balanced. There's one or two fanboys that you'll get with any brand but in general we're just sick of his crappy posting. If he communicated with like 20% more politeness and 50% less drama and condescension, we'd have a much higher tolerance for his complaints (because his helpful posts tend to be pretty good).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts