SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My pre-order Rivian R1S will start rolling out in August of next year. I'm really worried about a first year all new electric car, especially remembering how bad the 2016 Volvo XC90 was. If I recall correctly, the full electric / battery Volvo XC90 will be released in 2022.

I probably won't see my Rivian until late 2021 which will push up against the release of the electric XC90 in 2022 so I guess I just wait and see.

Maybe the all new battery Volvo will be no worse than the all new battery Rivian R1S. Anyone having thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
3,818 Posts
I like the Rivian A LOT, that said this is not a new phone. This is a MASSIVE purchase will major consequences if things go wrong. The hype is always easy to buy into dream of ownership but ask yourself the hard questions.

1. How is the support network, if something goes wrong how long will I be down a vehicle? Being a new car, from a NEW car COMPANY with with pre-orders how scarce are replacement parts?
2. How is the charging network? Will it be Tesla compatible?
3. How often are updates issued?
4. Ergonomics, established manufacturers know the in's an outs of daily use. It's the little things that count.
5. Warranty comparison (Motors and Battery)
6. Incentive comparison
7. Range Comparison
8. Lease or Buy options, if you plan on buying almost everything for Rivian will be direct repair from them only and thus cost of ownership could be VERY expensive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Considering the problems Tesla been experiencing with their fit and finish, i would not get a Rivian. Tesla been at it for years and they still have problems. I wouldn't get a 1st run model from even a established manufacturer, let alone a totally new company with a new design. I would wait for 2022 EV XC90- even then i wouldn't get it bc it will be the 1st model of full EV XC90.

If you have to have full EV by next year, Benz, i believe will have new one, and Jaguar already has one - however they are smaller than the XC90 i believe.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
888 Posts
Tesla been at it for years and they still have problems. I wouldn't get a 1st run model from even a established manufacturer, let alone a totally new company with a new design.
Keith22 absolutely nailed it. The data (and stories even here on Swedespeed) is all out there.
As an engineer in an automotive supplier, the amount of business / financial pressure to release something / anything asap is enormous, piled on top of the heap of technical challenges to be overcome. And I'm talking just about what happens at an established auto manufacturer.

It's exciting to be one of the first owners but is it worth the risks and time to deal with potential headaches? Will this vehicle be a required reliable daily driver or just an extra pleasure car and do you have backups? Are you yourself going to potentially drive the car for repeated service visits or have personal staff (or have the car company) do this for you?
I agree whether it's the Volvo and especially with the Rivian (maybe even longer) to wait at least 3 years. No matter the marketing hype, some issues aren't caught in accelerated pre-production testing and need real-world data to emerge, identify, and diagnose, before redesigning a fix, verifying/testing the fix, manufacturing the fix, and slotting the fix back into the production line, assuming the fixes work on the 1st try.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
I wish new car models are offered with a short period of subscription like the Car by Volvo.
After 4 months you decide to stay with it or go away.

This will give buyers a lot more confidence but big challenge on car makers and dealers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure the XC90 electric will be the first of it's kinda. I am going to wager it is going to borrow a lot from the Polestars. So you could see how the reviews of those cars go and use that at least as a baseline?
I generally stay away from first year models though. Fun enough to do with a computer since its a $2000 commitment tops, but not something like this.

If you are leasing then go for it :)

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
My pre-order Rivian R1S will start rolling out in August of next year. I'm really worried about a first year all new electric car, especially remembering how bad the 2016 Volvo XC90 was. If I recall correctly, the full electric / battery Volvo XC90 will be released in 2022.

I probably won't see my Rivian until late 2021 which will push up against the release of the electric XC90 and 2022 so I guess I just wait and see.

Maybe the all new battery Volvo will be no worse than the all new battery Rivian R1S. Anyone having thoughts?

Consider yourself a Beta Tester in the Rivian should you opt to purchase. An unproven Brand + First Model Vehicle Ever Released = Fasten your seatbelts, you may be in for one hell of a bumpy ride.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some people simply have to have the latest thing in their driveway. I have known many people like this, and if you are one of these people, well, there is no cure, grin, and I wish you the best of luck.

I am a retired design engineer and product manager, with many years of experience in the high tech world. I wouldn’t touch an all new vehicle from a manufacturing startup with a 10 foot pole. I’ve seen and been part of the problems with all-new designs, and even from well established companies the problems are never small and are often brutal. As with those who have the incurable condition of needing to have the latest thing, I am incurably cautious about being the first kid on the block with any expensive new toy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Keith22 absolutely nailed it. The data (and stories even here on Swedespeed) is all out there.
As an engineer in an automotive supplier, the amount of business / financial pressure to release something / anything asap is enormous, piled on top of the heap of technical challenges to be overcome. And I'm talking just about what happens at an established auto manufacturer.

It's exciting to be one of the first owners but is it worth the risks and time to deal with potential headaches? Will this vehicle be a required reliable daily driver or just an extra pleasure car and do you have backups? Are you yourself going to potentially drive the car for repeated service visits or have personal staff (or have the car company) do this for you?
I agree whether it's the Volvo and especially with the Rivian (maybe even longer) to wait at least 3 years. No matter the marketing hype, some issues aren't caught in accelerated pre-production testing and need real-world data to emerge, identify, and diagnose, before redesigning a fix, verifying/testing the fix, manufacturing the fix, and slotting the fix back into the production line, assuming the fixes work on the 1st try.
You say that the data and stories on the new XC90 are all out there. Can you give me a link to a good description? This is likely to be my next car, but I don’t have any details.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You say that the data and stories on the new XC90 are all out there. Can you give me a link to a good description? This is likely to be my next car, but I don’t have any details.
Not the new XC90, but data on the old XC90. I haven't seen any facts on the new XC90.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the Rivian A LOT, that said this is not a new phone. This is a MASSIVE purchase will major consequences if things go wrong. The hype is always easy to buy into dream of ownership but ask yourself the hard questions.

1. How is the support network, if something goes wrong how long will I be down a vehicle? Being a new car, from a NEW car COMPANY with with pre-orders how scarce are replacement parts?
<Snip>
Here is an article that seems to indicate a part shortage, so you were spot on with the above comment.

https://theglobalherald.com/technology/ev-startup-rivian-sees-production-constraints-through-2023/

·
Registered
914 Posts
The Rivian configurator is available and it costs pretty much the same as a loaded XC90 T8. I hope there is more competition soon and we can get less ugly cars at a decent price:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts