SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm the size of our fuel tank? I've read in previous posts that it's 18.5 gallons, but I can never fill it up past 15 gallons. I was at 30 miles left on the tank and I topped it off (even a little coming out), and it was only a little past 15 gallons. I doubt there's 3.5 gallons in reserve (i guess with 30 miles left that's another gallon and a half possibly), or 2 gallons reserve after 0 miles.

· Registered
MY22.5 XC90 Recharge Extended Range in Birch Light and Blond, Lounge, Advanced, Climate, Air and B&W
453 Posts
I have personally put 16.2 gallons in my 2022 XC90 Recharge, and also put 18.2 gallons in my 2017 XC90 T6 which is supposed to have the same size tank.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had a 2019 xc90 R design previously and was able to fill about 17.5 gallons.

I naturally assume the t8 extended range has a smaller tank due to batteries in place. Just curious if manual actually says 18.8 and then it becomes false advertising.

· Registered
MY22.5 XC90 Recharge Extended Range in Birch Light and Blond, Lounge, Advanced, Climate, Air and B&W
453 Posts

· Registered
2022.5 Volvo XC90 Recharge Inscription T8 Extended Range Plug-in Hybrid eAWD TZEV 275/45R20 110VM+S
73 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Can anyone confirm the size of our fuel tank? I've read in previous posts that it's 18.5 gallons, but I can never fill it up past 15 gallons. I was at 30 miles left on the tank and I topped it off (even a little coming out), and it was only a little past 15 gallons. I doubt there's 3.5 gallons in reserve (i guess with 30 miles left that's another gallon and a half possibly), or 2 gallons reserve after 0 miles.
Hahahaha I must have been on a subconscious swedespeed mission to find this out. Check the post I just made! After empty, I filled it with just over 18.2 US gallons! You're welcome!

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hahahaha I must have been on a subconscious swedespeed mission to find this out. Check the post I just made! After empty, I filled it with just over 18.2 US gallons! You're welcome!
So strange.. I drove until the gas motor said 30 miles.. I assume that's about 1.5 gallons.. but when I filled it and topped it off, it only read 14 gallons.. Is there really 4.8 gallons hidden somewhere? lol..

· Registered
453 Posts
The funny thing is, the manual in the app has the old capacity 13.2 gal
Fortunately, the rest of the app is pretty accurate. For example, since I started tracking my mileage, I've put 7,221 miles on the car and just filled up. The actual gallons I've added during that time is 161.81 gallons. for a very respectable 44.6 mpg average. The number of gallons consumed according to the app over that period 160.309, a difference of 0.93%. I think that is remarkable:giggle:

Reactions: rpmccormick

· Registered
22.5 XC90 Recharge Inscription Expression ER Denim Blue
131 Posts
Someone needs to do an experiment by charging their car and then turn on the ICE and HOLD the battery and drive until the ICE can’t fire up anymore. Then use the Pure mode to get to a gas station and see how many gallons you get. Also, I wonder if the car automatically goes to electric only after depleting fossil juice…

edit: just kidding! Just read gudfart’s post! Now we know!

· Registered
2022.5 Volvo XC90 Recharge Inscription T8 Extended Range Plug-in Hybrid eAWD TZEV 275/45R20 110VM+S
73 Posts
Fortunately, the rest of the app is pretty accurate. For example, since I started tracking my mileage, I've put 7,221 miles on the car and just filled up. The actual gallons I've added during that time is 161.81 gallons. for a very respectable 44.6 mpg average. The number of gallons consumed according to the app over that period 160.309, a difference of 0.93%. I think that is remarkable:giggle:
The manual is for the wrong year or something like that but good to know about the mileage. I do wonder about how accurate the kWh consumed and regenerated is.

· Registered
453 Posts
The manual is for the wrong year or something like that but good to know about the mileage. I do wonder about how accurate the kWh consumed and regenerated is.
While the manual that pops up may be incorrectly identified, you can see from the link on the Volvo site that it was for a late year 2022 XC90 Recharge, which is the Extended Range Version. As to the accuracy of the KWh's reported, I can only say that my car has never shown a "net electric" (i.e., consumed less regenerated) figure in excess of 14.2 KWH. Based on the accuracy of the fuel consumption figures, and what I'm seeing for the "electrics", I'm led to believe the KWh figures are fairly accurate.

Reactions: vonogo

· Registered
73 Posts
While the manual that pops up may be incorrectly identified, you can see from the link on the Volvo site that it was for a late year 2022 XC90 Recharge, which is the Extended Range Version. As to the accuracy of the KWh's reported, I can only say that my car has never shown a "net electric" (i.e., consumed less regenerated) figure in excess of 14.2 KWH. Based on the accuracy of the fuel consumption figures, and what I'm seeing for the "electrics", I'm led to believe the KWh figures are fairly accurate.
I'm talking about the Owner's Manual inside the app. It's wrong.

I've seen a similar number for net electric used, around 14. Seems odd when you charge it with 20kWh. I know battery conditioning uses some in charging. HVAC eats up some in use but we typically have it more or less off, just A/C to keep the windshield fog-free.

Just did a very short trip earlier. Consumed was <0.1, Regenerated was 0.2 yet the battery dropped 8%. I think the details of it all are interesting but not something that will end up being neat and tidy.

· Registered
2,763 Posts
This reminds me of our old 2001 V40 which has a 15.8gal tank and it seemed no matter how far I pushed beyond the ”--“ to zero range indicator I couldn’t put in more than 13gal. Looking back at history the most I ever put into it was 12.985 and it may have been one of the times I even went just over 50mi beyond the “--“ range to zero mark.

One the other hand on our 2010 and 2017 XC90s I’ve been right at capacity a number of times which is too close for comfort. Once on the 2017 I filled it back up with 13.337 gal… it has a 13.2 gal tank! The last 10 or so miles I pulled into the station on battery. Would have been interesting if I’d not had enough battery. I’ve read mention on this forum that T8s will shut down if they experience out of fuel situation even if they have battery to continue.

Anyway, I realize this is different than your T6 but every model is different. On the other hand on our 2005 Boxster, one time I was driving home I hadn’t realized I was low and about 4mi before getting off the highway on my route home it indicated 4mi to zero. At the bottom of the exit ramp at the light… plop. Out of fuel. There was a gas station around the corner and embarrassingly I got out and pushed it through the intersection and coasted downhill into the gas station. I learned at least on the Boxster, Porsche gives you ZERO grace. It took on 17.338 gal at that fill up into its 16.9gal tank.

· Registered
2022.5 XC90 ER T8, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV, 2023 LR Model Y, 2024 EX90 on order
169 Posts
We are averaging 200+ mpg on 2022.5 extended range and just did my first fill-up ever after owning the car for 8 months since I was on an errand and was going to be right next to an Ethanol free pump (ethanol free fuel is not allowed in our metro eco zone within 25 miles of the city). I was able to fill-up 17 gallons. I took the opportunity to use the Ethanol free fuel since our fill-ups are very infrequent and didn't want aged fuel to cause issues. However based on 17 gallons and the fact that I had 50 miles of gasoline driving left I would imagine the fuel tank is larger than 18 gallons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts