SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm new to Volvo and to this forum so bear with me please. Am in the market for a new compact luxury SUV type vehicle and so far, the ones that rise to the top are the XC60 and BMW X3.
I'm really leaning towards the XC60 based on style, standard features, safety, reviews, etc. However, I keep going back and forth between the T5 or T6 Momentum and the Recharge T8.
As I am retired, the bulk of my driving is for pleasure and performing the usual daily errands within a radius of between 5 and 25 miles. This vehicle would also be used occasionally for longer
road trips. I'm also aware of the Federal Tax Credit of $5400 for the Recharge model. Probably should be mentioned that I am not looking to add a bunch of options/packages to either
vehicle since the base models appear so well equipped.

One aspect that does concern me is the inherent complexity of a turbo and supercharged engine along with a battery and electric motor components. So this sways me to the T5.
However, since I don't have a daily commute and my driving is usually within fairly limited distances, perhaps the PHEV is a better way to go.

I would really appreciate any input from folks who have dealt with this decision dilemma and learning from your thought process.

Thank you for your patience.

Rick

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hello

I'm new to Volvo and to this forum so bear with me please. Am in the market for a new compact luxury SUV type vehicle and so far, the ones that rise to the top are the XC60 and BMW X3.
I'm really leaning towards the XC60 based on style, standard features, safety, reviews, etc. However, I keep going back and forth between the T5 or T6 Momentum and the Recharge T8.
As I am retired, the bulk of my driving is for pleasure and performing the usual daily errands within a radius of between 5 and 25 miles. This vehicle would also be used occasionally for longer
road trips. I'm also aware of the Federal Tax Credit of $5400 for the Recharge model. Probably should be mentioned that I am not looking to add a bunch of options/packages to either
vehicle since the base models appear so well equipped.

One aspect that does concern me is the inherent complexity of a turbo and supercharged engine along with a battery and electric motor components. So this sways me to the T5.
However, since I don't have a daily commute and my driving is usually within fairly limited distances, perhaps the PHEV is a better way to go.

I would really appreciate any input from folks who have dealt with this decision dilemma and learning from your thought process.

Thank you for your patience.

Rick
Pro T8:
With a limited drive, you might really enjoy the quiet and lack of vibrations of the electric drive.
More spunk.

Cons T8:
Greater complexity (which becomes an issue down the road, out of warranty).
More weight/less nimble.
Lose fog lamps.
Lost second-row climate control (I think that's still the case).
Brakes can take a moment to adjust to - seems to bother some people, not me.

If I was planning on keeping the car for only few years, I would go for the T8, no doubt. Longer term is where it becomes a more difficult choice. Volvo offers a longer-term warranty for the electric components, but I find the wording confusing and there are tons of exceptions. I would not (and did not) keep a T8 out of warranty.

But there are other intangibles which depend on your situation. Can you charge the car at night? Do you live in a cold climate (the T8 is a lot less appealing in cold weather, in my experience, when the usable range drops to the end of my driveway...)? Do you live in a state where the T8 gives you access to HOV lanes? Do you need access to "electric-only" parking (I really loved parking my T8 at my workplace, because it meant getting the spots by the door, avoiding a long trek in snow... same at the local airport)?

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
T8 for sure if not a budget issue. It is more complicated but engineering can make complicated stuff robust.
And you can buy extended warranty up to 10 years, then decide to sell or keep when there is several month warranty left.

T8 is really two cars in one, quiet and economic, or fast and powerful. And it is pretty much an EV for in town use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
We have a. 2020 XC60 T8 and love it. Great riding and quite vehicle. We did have a issue with a bad battery cell after 2 months of owning but all is good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Love my T8.....As well many states offer $$$$ tax incentives as well. At first I wasn't even considering a T8, was going to buy a T6 as I didn't think the electric range was sufficient. Then I found out the parking lot by work has chargers (no extra fee to use them) so I was able to go to work on battery, and home. Many of my Weekend errands are within battery range. On the few long trips we have taken, it gets in the mid 30s mpg and that's not babying it. I have found the car has actually made me a mellower driver, but if one wants to step on the gas pedal and go..it does. I'm very glad the T6 deal fell thru and went with the T8. Will one make up the price difference between a T5/T6 sand T8, prob not (even though it wasn't much for me) but sure is nice to charge at home. The beauty of the charging system is that it can charge off your normal 120 outlet, just takes around 6.5 hours (2019 model) getting 240 service to my garage was around $500, it cuts down the charge time to approx. 3 hrs, and you just need the correct receptacle. yes you can fork out some more $$$ for the fancy wall charging units, as they can be some benefit to them (able to set up charging times and take advantage of off-rate hrs, as one can not do that via the Volvo App in the USA) One has to keep in mind too it really isnt a 100% electric vehicle as there are times the gas engine will run, even if you dont want it too. Looking at my App, my Average fuel consumption since I have owned it is nearly 60 mpg, used to be a lot higher, but the past few months have been a little heavy on the gas pedal.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your comments so far. To address some of the intangible questions above: 1) Live in the Pacific NW near Portland so the weather is pretty temperate, 2) I do have daily charging capability via my garage, 3) I believe WA and OR permit hybrid vehicles to use HOV lanes.
My wife is itching to buy an EV and I've been suggesting that she look at the new XC40 Recharge as well as the Tesla Model Y (although I think the XC40 would be more comfortable). Having said that, I still wonder if also owning a PHEV in the household would be more suitable for longer road trips.

Keep the thoughts and feedback coming. Lots of food for thought.

Rick

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Thank you all for your comments so far. To address some of the intangible questions above: 1) Live in the Pacific NW near Portland so the weather is pretty temperate, 2) I do have daily charging capability via my garage, 3) I believe WA and OR permit hybrid vehicles to use HOV lanes.
My wife is itching to buy an EV and I've been suggesting that she look at the new XC40 Recharge as well as the Tesla Model Y (although I think the XC40 would be more comfortable). Having said that, I still wonder if also owning a PHEV in the household would be more suitable for longer road trips.

Keep the thoughts and feedback coming. Lots of food for thought.

Rick
PHEV is of course more suitable for long road trips than EV. And it is same as EV in town, just less powerful 87HP, adequate but not that fast. ICE will run on uphill or extra power is needed.
I don't know WA give PHEV HOV lane access though. We don't have EV HOV sticker here like CA.

WFH now and I still have almost full of tank since March because only driving it in town. Looks like after 6 months car uses fuel every time to burn the old fuel.
Still it would takes more than 200 miles (maybe another 6 months) to finished the tank so I added some fuel stabilizer to help keep the fuel longer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I cross shopped most luxury SUVs and TSLA. I opted not to go the TSLA route as we do take longer road trips and I jammed a couple of our previous ones in to calculators and really didn't like the math -- "3 hours at 51 mph" kind of thing -- which just doesn't suit my driving style. I ultimately bought a 2021 XC60 Recharge fully loaded (B&W, air suspension, advanced package) and couldn't be happier. I think this thread has mostly covered it for you but from my POV:

T8 Pros:
- More power and torque.
- Crazy acceleration for its class.
- The 2021 has the same 18.3 gal fuel tank as the T5/T6 + additional hybrid range. Great for road trips.
- Relatedly, I often don't refuel the car for a month or two at a time with lots of local city trips.

T8 Cons:
- Complexity, like you said. I'm not personally very worried about this -- modern cars are complex and not getting any less complex.
- Potentially eAWD. I haven't had any issues with this but note that the rear drive train is electric and the front drive train is ICE. This means that in AWD conditions they have to work in unison and torque is not even (which is kind of the goal of AWD, admittedly) but it's certainly "different".
- Climate control is 2 zone, not 4 zone.
- The battery adds about ~11% weight (400 pounds or so). I personally do some "spirited" driving on CA-1 up around Bodega Bay and I don't feel disadvantaged because of it but YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts