SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm looking to avoid spending $1400 on the dealer installed tow hitch by installing a third party hitch myself given there are plenty of options for around the $200-$600 mark.

However I'd like to use the OEM control unit to ensure maximum compatibility with Volvo's electrics. I regularly wrench on my other car, so have no issues doing the work myself.

Has anybody done something similar themselves? Particularly I'm hoping for advice on which third party hitch to select that will easily be able to mount the control unit for the trailer brake lights. When looking at the available third party options, many seem to not include a mount for the lights connector unless you purchase fully inclusive packages.

Options I'm considering, but hoping to find a solution for where to mount the connector.
Draw-Tite 76245 Class III $163.02 from Amazon $297 from etrailer
Reese Towpower 84245 Class III $148.91 from CarId

I believe what I need is a 'mounting' part like this etrailer product, minus the OEM wiring (which I've secured from a black friday sale directly from Volvo).

My thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an xc40 on order and have similar questions so, in the interests of not reinventing the research, am curious what you were able to determine. I have read through the installation instructions for the unit and it does seem to be low-skill labor, so not worried there, but am concerned about how aftermarket designs could be inferior to volvo's in regards to ground clearance, stability (geometry/rigidity), effect of a rear-end impact. Thanks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts