SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Each year Volvo has been suggesting the new Android Based system would come in a few years. Most have assumed this would come in 2019 for 2020 model year when XC90 would get a minor refresh.

The Polestar 2 is getting Android Sensus this year. XC90 is getting a small visual refresh this year, 2019 so it would seem things are all pointing to the new Sensus coming to the 2020 models this year, but there is an officiai Volvo news post in late 2018 saying its not coming for "a couple years". That would seem to contradict 2020 but with Polestar getting it this year it would seem they were already wrong on that couple years estimate.

While no one except Volvo knows for sure, based on the above does anyone have an educated guess if in 2019, the 2020 XC90 will have the new Sensus (aka Google Maps in driver display, HUD, Google Assistant Voice Control and sorts? My lease is due in November which would seem to be a perfect time. However, life has changed and now my 10K lease will not be enough and may end up significantly over at trade it. Volvo has already reached out a few times asking if I want to trade in early and even up to 5K off 2019 model. Part of me says no way, since would be horrible to upgrade and be locked in another 3 years (or more if I do a loan this time), and just miss the new Sensus system by a few months. But if the system isn't coming until 2020 model year 2021, then I wouldn't want to wait since in November there will be no big discounts and instead I'll be paying a lot of over miles probably, and no Sensus to make it worth it. So if that were the case I'd rather trade in asap.

While a few weeks ago Car and Driver announced the basic official details on the car, no mention on Android Sensus. Any idea on when we might hear if its coming such as in next few months or will we not know until they officially release the car in August or so? Any advice would be most helpful. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
It was said that Android UI will come to CMA cars (XC40) first, then SPA cars (60, and 90).
So 2020 XC90 will not have it. Not sure if they put Android UI on first year SPA2 platform, it could be too big change to be done reliably.
But 2nd year of SPA2 platform is very likely to get it.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/volvo-google-android-infotainment-polestar-2/

"We're rolling it out starting in the CMA platform, and the first car will actually be the Polestar 2," Green said Wednesday in an interview. Expanding on that, Green confirmed the new infotainment interface "will follow afterwards in the Volvo CMA vehicles -- the XC40."

That said, it won't be long before every Volvo's in-car tech is powered by Google's Android software. "After [XC40], it will roll out in the SPA cars, the larger vehicles," Green said. "It will go into all of our Volvo vehicles. Even before we launch SPA 2 [in 2021] it will have rolled out in almost all the Volvo vehicles."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts