SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was at the dealership the other day getting my XC60 serviced, I was speaking to my salesperson about possibly getting the 2020 XC90 in the 6 seat configuration. He disclosed to me that it is actually the same exact seats and setup as the 7 seater, with just the middle part removed. He even said that the dealership was required to remove the middle portion at the port and install bolt coverings and a cupholder to make it a 6 seater.

Has anyone heard of this and possibly looked into making their 7 seater into a 6 seater?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yes, it's completely possible for an owner to convert from 7 to 6 seats. Someone posted in the forum a year or two ago about removing their 2nd row middle seat in their pre MY2020 (2017?) to make it a 6 seater. I don't recall how he handled any protruding bolts or whatnot after the middle seat was removed. Just execute a search.

Note that the "proper" MY2020 6 seat configuration has 2nd row seats without any center aisle armrests. So only the door armrests. Why exactly I do not know.

·
Registered
953 Posts
When I was at the dealership the other day getting my XC60 serviced, I was speaking to my salesperson about possibly getting the 2020 XC90 in the 6 seat configuration. He disclosed to me that it is actually the same exact seats and setup as the 7 seater, with just the middle part removed. He even said that the dealership was required to remove the middle portion at the port and install bolt coverings and a cupholder to make it a 6 seater.

Has anyone heard of this and possibly looked into making their 7 seater into a 6 seater?
I can't speak to making a 7 seater into a 6 seater, but the dealerships are not converting them at the port. In fact, the dealerships have nothing to do with the ports. The 6 seater XC90s arrive at the dealerships as a 6 seater. They also have cupholders moved to behind the front tunnel, since the cupholders in the 7 seater are housed in the middle seat arm rest.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Everything is possible, but not practical or as easy as some might think.

We've been told the 6 seaters have a little more bolstering than the 7 seaters, but I've only seen 2020 inscriptions as 6 seaters and we haven't had a 7 seater inscription for me to personally compare yet.

The center section carpet is different and the support under it is different, so you would need whatever is involved in that.

I'm sure it will interfere with several computers systems from the seat belt sensor to the pretensioner. You could disconnect the wires to test this and see the results ahead of other parts purchases.

"the dealership" has nothing at all to do with these seats other than placing the order. While it's not unheard of to ship a car with seats and then remove them (a la Ford Transit Connect) I can't think of a reason for Volvo to be doing this, but I suppose stranger things have happened. Obviously the core of both cars are the same.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Note that the "proper" MY2020 6 seat configuration has 2nd row seats without a center aisle armrests. So only the door armrests. Why exactly I do not know.
Volvo hasn't figured out how to include armrests that meet their own crash safety standards (they meet various national requirements, Volvo just goes beyond the tests). I think we'll see them in the future though.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Volvo hasn't figured out how to include armrests that meet their own crash safety standards (they meet various national requirements, Volvo just goes beyond the tests). I think we'll see them in the future though.
Agreed, seems most likely. I'm guessing they wanted to get something out quick just to meet the demand or present the option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been looking at the 2020 6-seat option. Any idea why the cost is $8k more than the 7-seat momentum? Doesn't look like you get any additional packages included as standard... $8k extra just for the bucket seats?!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
From looking at the overhead photos of 7 vs 6, it appears that the outer 2-row seats have identical width. I don't know whether or not the 6 seater version gets extra adjustability.

From a thread discussing middle 2nd row seat removal (link here), there are 4 bolts that mount the middle seat, and a connector for the seatbelt & occupant sensor, that need to be removed/disconnected. Beyond that, there will be 4 openings in the felt-like flooring that shows the bolt holes. You may want to get a matching carpet for that area.

In contrast, a 6-seater will have all that sorted out. I'm not sure if it is possible to install a middle seat; I'm sure the bolt holes are there, but the carpeting might obscure them, plus the wiring harness for the seatbelt/occupant sensor may be missing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From looking at the overhead photos of 7 vs 6, it appears that the outer 2-row seats have identical width. I don't know whether or not the 6 seater version gets extra adjustability.

From a thread discussing middle 2nd row seat removal (link here), there are 4 bolts that mount the middle seat, and a connector for the seatbelt & occupant sensor, that need to be removed/disconnected. Beyond that, there will be 4 openings in the felt-like flooring that shows the bolt holes. You may want to get a matching carpet for that area.

In contrast, a 6-seater will have all that sorted out. I'm not sure if it is possible to install a middle seat; I'm sure the bolt holes are there, but the carpeting might obscure them, plus the wiring harness for the seatbelt/occupant sensor may be missing.
All of that may be true, but $8k upcharge over the 7 seater?!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
All of that may be true, but $8k upcharge over the 7 seater?!
There are some options that can't be had in the 6-seater. For the USA (link here, visited today), the 7-seater can be had with the T5 engine and FWD (US$48,350). The 6-seater starts with the T6 engine and AWD (US$56,800). If the only difference between the two are engine (T5 = 2 liter Turbo, T6 = 2 liter Turbo + supercharger) and drivetrain (front wheel drive only vs AWD), then a ~8k difference seem reasonable to me. There could also be other differences in the interior trim and dashboard screen. (In earlier years, T5 comes with a smaller screen instead of the 12.3" digital display dashboard)

The T6 AWD version of the 7-seater lists at US$56,300; which is closer to the 6-seater number above. It's probably not because of a $250 cupholder and a $250 floormat.

Seat width (outer 2nd row) seem to be identical.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I removed my middle seat in my 2018 XC90-R. SRS service required light does go off and you need to create a dongle that you plug in that has the same resistance as the middle seat tensioner. After following the steps in this thread and creating a dongle my XC90 is SRS error light free and I retain the luxury of switch back to the 7 seats if I choose.

Post #67. Followed his steps and it worked out perfectly.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/show...90&p=6414898&viewfull=1#/topics/298241?page=4

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

Whoever told you this should not be selling Volvos until he goes through some thorough training on product knowledge and also a course on not to spread misinformation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts