SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings All!

Didn't think I would be contemplating another OSD so soon, BUT my better half's 04 3 series went kaput last weekend--needs a complete engine rebuild!

Needless to say, we won't be doing that, so we are suddenly in the new car market again. She is taking a hard look at the XC40 and we were pondering whether or not we could get by with one car long enough to do another great OSD trip.

I know last year we chatted with other OSD folks and I saw plenty of forum fodder about how tough it was to get an XC40 on the program given the demand. Wondering if anyone slightly ahead of us in the process, can give me a sense of the current lay of the land with regards to XC40 sales either domestic or OSD? Is it any easier/faster to get a non OSD XC40? We are weighing the pros and cons of the wait vs the trip, and just want up to date information to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

·
Registered
27 Posts
My wife ordered her XC40 in mid-May, and our delivery date is October 8th (so we'll probably have it here in Seattle by Januaryish). The last time I looked, there are only a few of them at the dealerships around, and they're not cutting any deals -- one was even asking $3000 over MSRP...

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Interested in this as well as we are planning our first OSD for next spring/summer on an XC40. I think we're going to get the ball rolling in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Greeting All!

Didn't think I would be contemplating another OSD so soon, BUT my better half's 04 3 series went kaput last weekend--needs a complete engine rebuild!

Needless to say, we won't be doing that, so we are suddenly in the new car market again. She is taking a hard look at the XC40 and we were pondering whether or not we could get by with one car long enough to do another great OSD trip.

I know last year we chatted with other OSD folks and I saw plenty of forum fodder about how tough it was to get an XC40 on the program given the demand. Wondering if anyone slightly ahead of us in the process, can give me a sense of the current lay of the land with regards to XC40 sales either domestic or OSD? Is it any easier/faster to get a non OSD XC40? We are weighing the pros and cons of the wait vs the trip, and just want up to date information to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Scott

I believe the landscape is totally different now compared to last year. We tried custom orders and OSD options in April/May 2018 and ran into brick walls. We actually placed a custom order but the dealership couldn't get an allocation, so we bailed. The XC40 was just too new. In July of last year (about this time) we found the car we wanted in a different color at an Atlanta dealership and they were willing to negotiate some. We came away with a deal that work for us. Fast forward to July 2019 and I see huge stocks of XC40s near me and within 500+ miles of us "with deals". Some are several thousands of dollars off. However I think this situation may be regional and I hear the west coast still has a bit of a shortage. If you are willing to search dealerships east of you you may find something but transporting or tripping to get that car may not be something you are intersted in doing. The only way you can get the current reality on OSD is to talk to a salesman for the official word. Not sure if XC40 allocations are more prevalent now or not but no way to know unless you talk to a salesman. Either way you end up getting the car it is fantastic. I actually like it better than my XC60. Drives, steers and rides way better! And Thunder Gray is an amazing new color. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
This year OSD is based on dealer allocation. We have much better availability for XC40 this year than last with increased production. Inscriptions are the hardest to get. R design can be found and you shouldn't have any trouble finding an open Momentum slot. They are booking into November currently with the holiday break going from Dec 23 to Jan 7th

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discouraged about lack of EV and plug-in hybrid options

When I checked the Volvo OSD website, they have pricing for models available, but there are no listings for the EV option or the plug-in hybrid (the latter hasn't been announced in the US, but is supposed to be coming late this year or early 2020. Does anyone know if they update the pricing list on the website, or are the models listed currently for 2020 all that will be available?

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I checked the Volvo OSD website, they have pricing for models available, but there are no listings for the EV option or the plug-in hybrid (the latter hasn't been announced in the US, but is supposed to be coming late this year or early 2020. Does anyone know if they update the pricing list on the website, or are the models listed currently for 2020 all that will be available?
The website you’re looking at hasn’t been updated yet, but all 2020 info is out and your dealer should have it available. You could use the info on the following link as reference.

http://www.flyvolvo.com/msg4.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts