SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading my 2016 T8 to a 2020 T8 as my lease is coming to an end. I absolutely love my T8 and I may just buy it out and keep her as she has been really good to me. Or I may get into a new lease for a 2020. Of course I would love newer, shinier, updated, longer range, etc. The longer range battery is a big draw for me.

That said, I am confused as to the brake by wire info the official literature from Volvo mentions. They say the new T8s have the brake by wire system. That sounds fantastic but there seems to be conflicting / inconsistent information as to whether or not it is the same as the KERS system they are putting into the new B models.

Per the NA news release dated Feb 22, 2019 Volvo states:

“This new powertrain, electrified via brake-by-wire energy recovery, offers drivers up to 15 per cent fuel savings and emission reductions in real world driving.

The new brake-by-wire system interacts with the energy recovery system and reduces fuel consumption and emissions by recovering kinetic energy under braking.”

Further down they state:

“The upgraded T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid with up to 420 horsepower features a new battery and brake-by-wire advanced battery charging. The range of the T8 powertrain has increased by around 15 per cent and this powertrain is available on all 90 and 60 Series cars.”

The way I read it, the T8 has the new KERS system but it isn’t explicitly stated. I am not entirely convinced by News Releases as they are often misleading or very generic in the overall message.

The Product Brochure the dealer shared with me specifically states the T8 does have a “brake by wire system”. But again it doesn’t state if it is KERS or not. The dealer doesn’t know for sure but they are looking into it for me.

Is there any real world experience out there with the new Brake by Wire system?

Any info, insight, comments?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Those are just marketing term for T6 buyers. The regenerative braking on T8 is much better than those light hybrid B power train.

Technically, "brake by wire" and KERS just means same thing as regenerative braking, eg, use e motor to brake and recycle kinetic energy.

The 15% more range could be true from better battery. From specs available, the 420HP doesn't seem to go to plain T8 car. Maybe it is for P*engineered cars.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Those are just marketing term for T6 buyers. The regenerative braking on T8 is much better than those light hybrid B power train.

Technically, "brake by wire" and KERS just means same thing as regenerative braking, eg, use e motor to brake and recycle kinetic energy.

The 15% more range could be true from better battery. From specs available, the 420HP doesn't seem to go to plain T8 car. Maybe it is for P*engineered cars.
The regen braking is a new system on the 2020 T8, not the same as the existing system (16 - 19 MY). The existing system is just using the electric motor to as a generator to feed back into the battery. The new KERS system uses flywheel technology and would be better than the existing regen braking. That is what has piqued my interest.

What isn’t clear (at least to me) is if the KERS flywheel technology is the same thing as the new brake by wire system they talk about in the T8.

Totally agree re the 420hp. The product guide has the 2020 T8 listed at 400hp so the 420hp is probably P* to your point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
I don't think it is a new system in T8 unless they use a different ERAD motor, which is unlikely.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The Feb 22 release is also suspect as to whether it even applies to NA MY20. I’ve not seen any new information supporting 420hp in NA and the OSD order guide for the 2020 XC90 T8 has it spec’d at 400hp which was disappointing to see.

An Extra 20HP out of the ERAD would be fantastic - it would help me get up some hills without losing too much momentum. Currently, I either find an alternative/longer route home that has a less traffic, is a shorter uphill and I only slow down to about 25-28mi (temp dependent) without engaging ICE. Similarly on the way to work on the highway there’s an uphill that fortunately has my exit as the highway crests and I have learned the sweet spots of when to apply max ERAD throttle and keep it above 50mph (on 60F+ days). The new regenerative braking promised sounds great - I get great regen from the hills here but faster/more efficient regen would be fantastic as well as higher capacity (battery and fuel tank).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Feb 22 release is also suspect as to whether it even applies to NA MY20. I’ve not seen any new information supporting 420hp in NA and the OSD order guide for the 2020 XC90 T8 has it spec’d at 400hp which was disappointing to see.
The News Release I previously mentioned was specific to the US market:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/...future-with-a-range-of-new-hybrid-powertrains

In the news release specific to the Canadian market there is no mention of 420hp, which is interesting:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/ca/...m_medium=Email&utm_source=media.volvocars.com

I am not holding my breath on the 420hp. Frankly the 400hp we currently have is more than adequate for my day to day needs.

I had further correspondence with the dealer over the weekend and they are receiving additional training mid-July on the 2020 models. He said that he will ask specifically about the brake by wire. Interested to hear what he comes back with.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it is a new system in T8 unless they use a different ERAD motor, which is unlikely.
I think you are right, but holding onto the hope you are wrong :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts