SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I just purchased my car. It’s a 2020 S60 T8 Polestar.

I’m a bit concerned about the car because it was from Ontario. The cars in ON rust quickly because that province uses salt and other chemicals on the road which are known to cause rust.

During my pre-purchase inspection, I found a small amount of rust on one control arm, the centre exhaust hanger was rusty (but isolated to that part) and some really minor amounts of rust was starting at some seams in the front of the vehicle in the passenger side wheel well (just under the wheel well plastics - I didn’t remove them, just pulled them back with my hand). This makes me think I should do something about the rust, but maybe I’m crazy.

So, because of what I saw, I’m looking at getting Krown rust coat, but I’ve never purchased a newer car (especially one this expensive) from out of province. Instead of Krown (or in combination with it) I thought I should pull all the plastics and do a course of rust converter and spray a layer of new paint/undercoat wherever I see any rust on the vehicle.

What do you think? Is this crazy?

I just have never owned a vehicle this expensive and I’d like to keep it at least until the extended warranty ends in 2029 and still be able to sell it then without it having any holes or be rusted out.

Any advice on mitigating the risk of the car disappearing into rust powder in the next 5-8 years?

Your advice is appreciated!

· Registered
681 Posts
I hear Volvos are not very prone to rusting, with the exception of some Ford parts on P3 models (are we surprised?). Luckily, that era is behind us.

I might look into a little supplementary rust-proofing, but cars do get splotchy underneath pretty fast. Ask a trusted mechanic and see what he says. Chances are you're probably fine. Cars these days do not flake out the way they used to.

Reactions: Cincyspeedracer

· Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
3,661 Posts
I think that despite your concerns being valid, the car won't rust out or see a noticeable amount of rust form on actual body panels in the foreseeable future ~10 years. If P2s are relatively fine after 12 years and begin to rust around 13-15 years, SPA cars will be even more so.
I'd probably get a Krown, but apart from that, nothing drastic.

· Registered
2,683 Posts
Certainly could do a coating like Krown, but otherwise the best thing you can do is any time it's above freezing take a sprinkler and stick it under the car and rinse the crap out of it. Volvo generally already has very good anti-rust measures on most surfaces.

Reactions: Flyfazynga

· Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Cars just rust. Automakers are pretty good at the important parts, like body panels and whatnot, not like the old days, those 80s japanese cars all turned to dust in MA! That's why I always loved visiting the west coast, all them old cars still running!

Chassis parts, subframes etc they are coated but not to prevent rust forever just a reasonable life, too costly to make a car immune to rust nobody would buy it. If parts are thick and hefty like a chassis it takes a looong time to rust to where it's a problem, as long as they don't mess something up and cause accelerated rust through a design flaw.

I been under my S60 enough, it had a little rust already on the subframes in some spots after the first winter. Such is life in the salt belt...

OP I'm wondering what "rust" you found on a control arm? Almost every suspension arm is aluminum which contrary to popular belief does corrode...but it doesn't rust which is specific to iron based metals. There is 1 rear arm which is steel I think?

· Registered
1,637 Posts
Volvos are not prone tu rust. My 2008 XC90 had no rust after 230k km.

As.you said, it's an expensive car, but it's built like one too.

We're not talking about Mazda here!

· Registered
691 Posts
Hello all!

I just purchased my car. It’s a 2020 S60 T8 Polestar.

I’m a bit concerned about the car because it was from Ontario. The cars in ON rust quickly because that province uses salt and other chemicals on the road which are known to cause rust.

During my pre-purchase inspection, I found a small amount of rust on one control arm, the centre exhaust hanger was rusty (but isolated to that part) and some really minor amounts of rust was starting at some seams in the front of the vehicle in the passenger side wheel well (just under the wheel well plastics - I didn’t remove them, just pulled them back with my hand). This makes me think I should do something about the rust, but maybe I’m crazy.

So, because of what I saw, I’m looking at getting Krown rust coat, but I’ve never purchased a newer car (especially one this expensive) from out of province. Instead of Krown (or in combination with it) I thought I should pull all the plastics and do a course of rust converter and spray a layer of new paint/undercoat wherever I see any rust on the vehicle.

What do you think? Is this crazy?

I just have never owned a vehicle this expensive and I’d like to keep it at least until the extended warranty ends in 2029 and still be able to sell it then without it having any holes or be rusted out.

Any advice on mitigating the risk of the car disappearing into rust powder in the next 5-8 years?

Your advice is appreciated!
I live in upstate NY. From what I've seen, the bodies on P3 cars hold up well, but the subframes and suspension components are prone to rusting. Mostly this appears to be surface rust and I've been spraying my cars with fluid film to keep it from getting worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.