SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has more content than we want, so fine with base R-Design via OSD. But what are the chances a lower content OSD could be cheaper? Say half of that discount is for equipment we can live without...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Is the end goal to spend as little money as possible or get the nicest car possible?

Personally, I go with the later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheapest nice enough car. ;)

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Take the 16% off fully loaded one.
B&W, Air suspension are both very useful stuff.
If it was an Inscription with ventilated nappa leather seats with massage it would be even better.

An OSD base R-Design is not much less.

·
Registered
463 Posts
If you order an OSD, you can spec it out to meet your preferences (e.g., color, options). Also, don't overlook the value of the round trip air tickets, the hotel night, the savings from not getting a rental car in Europe, and the whole OSD experience.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If you order an OSD, you can spec it out to meet your preferences (e.g., color, options). Also, don't overlook the value of the round trip air tickets, the hotel night, the savings from not getting a rental car in Europe, and the whole OSD experience.
Yes, good comment. On top of that, as the two car scenarios are, these are two different scenarios. If the ultimate goal is to save every dollar, you can't compare OSD to a local deal since the value of the entire trip cannot be equaled to $$$.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, good comment. On top of that, as the two car scenarios are, these are two different scenarios. If the ultimate goal is to save every dollar, you can't compare OSD to a local deal since the value of the entire trip cannot be equaled to $$$.
Actually, it can. The trip would have value. Other than the intangibles of the factory experience, how much would travel and accommodations cost if one were to do it themselves?

Exterior color is right, interior not, but not sure the desired brown with charcoal headliner works anyhow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I faced a similar decision and opted for a steeply discounted 2018. More bells and whistles than I was willing to pay for in the OSD, and it was less expensive than the OSD, much so if I priced the OSD with the same gizmos. And I was able to find the colors I wanted.

Having said all that, I did seriously consider going the OSD route - the pricing is pretty good.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
It is easier to price out the OSD order with the OSD price list.
Say if the loaded one is 6k more than the configuraiton you want, you get 16% discount over 70k, eg about 11k, then the price is 59k, which is lower than OSD price (maybe 60k) order of a 64k car.

Not to overlook the pleasant OSD trip, but driving the car home tomorrow is also priceless, :) especially compared to months of waiting for OSD shipping.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Actually, it can. The trip would have value. Other than the intangibles of the factory experience, how much would travel and accommodations cost if one were to do it themselves?

Exterior color is right, interior not, but not sure the desired brown with charcoal headliner works anyhow.
Yes, if you approach everything without the "emotion" and lifetime memories you can experience by spending 2 or 3 weeks in Europe, driving your own car, not tied down by airplane/train schedules, etc.

I have done it numerous times and I simply cannot attach any $$$ figures to such experiences.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When it comes to spending more than $50k, I'm stone cold logical. 😐

·
Registered
442 Posts
2020 OSD versus 16% model year end discount on "loaded" 2019 XC60 T8 R-Design

Just wait. You’ll be back trying to figure out how to turn off auto start/stop “.

Just get the 2019 and be done with it. :)

ETA misread Brewster and 2018.

·
Registered
826 Posts

BTW, black is the only interior color offered on R-design in the US - OSD or not.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Agree with others that Inscription is superior. If you want the vacation, do the OSD. it is a terrific experience AND you get exactly what you want...

·
Registered
325 Posts
+1 for OSD. Newer model, unforgettable experience. Logic is all relative here. If they depreciate at the same rate, in a couple years, a 2020 will still have more residual value than the 2018 or 2019.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You still get the $5k tax credit with OSD, right?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
You still get the $5k tax credit with OSD, right?
Yes. OSD is the best of best if you want a vacation in a continent you like to visit.

Don't get low configuration just for 2-3k less though. I added advanced package at last chance of my order and feel very lucky I did. I only omit B&W and now it becomes my first thing of next car purchase.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
😃 Yeah, I'm a control freak. Actually pretty happy with the 2011 3.2 AWD with climate and convenience. Even the slow Sensus, parking sensors and motorized parking brake get irritating. All I really want is to save $2500 a year in gas costs. I actually seriously looked art adding switched reluctance motors to the C70!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
 Yeah, I'm a control freak. Actually pretty happy with the 2011 3.2 AWD with climate and convenience. Even the slow Sensus, parking sensors and motorized parking brake get irritating. All I really want is to save $2500 a year in gas costs. I actually seriously looked art adding switched reluctance motors to the C70!

Well if you are really about saving $2500 per year in gas, keep in mind the sales taxes alone will probably eat that up for the next several years depending on where you live. If you want the cheapest means of transportation keep your old car and just fix it when it breaks down. On the other hand if you want to have a new car with all the features then buying either the current year or newer model will work. Logic would say never put a lot of money into a depreciating asset.

·
Registered
473 Posts
When it comes to spending more than $50k, I'm stone cold logical. 😐
Looks like your decision is made. Get the local one.

I will tell you our OSD was one of the best trips we have ever done. We have a lifetime of memories. That sounds trite I know. Mrs Scrapr loved my OSD so much she wanted her own. My OSD was the last rip we ever had together as a family. She passed before we could do her OSD. We never know what our expiration date is whatever your age

1 - 20 of 25 Posts