SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got out of my XC90 T6 today while it was running and in park with it in dynamic mode and noticed a very noticeable high pitch whirring sound coming from the transmission. Note, my XC90 has the polestar optimization. I transitioned it in and out of dynamic mode and it went away when other modes were selected. Is this sound normal? If so, what causes the sound?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I got out of my XC90 T6 today while it was running and in park with it in dynamic mode and noticed a very noticeable high pitch whirring sound coming from the transmission. Note, my XC90 has the polestar optimization. I transitioned it in and out of dynamic mode and it went away when other modes were selected. Is this sound normal? If so, what causes the sound?
My 2019 S60 T6 R-Design w. Polestar does the exact same thing while at Idle while in Polestar/Dynamic Mode. I believe (don't quote me on this) that this is the car priming the supercharger for quicker reaction and launch. A few updates ago, the T6's would instead increase revs at idle to a default JUST under 1k. I think the switch away from this to the supercharger priming was the increased idle greatly affected gas consumption, whereas the supercharger priming did not. TBH, I have a 2017 S90 T6 that does not have Polestar, and hasn't been updated to remove the increased idle while in Dynamic, and I think it initially responds quicker than my S60. I would rather deal with a little increase in consumption for the initially quicker acceleration but that is just me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2019 S60 T6 R-Design w. Polestar does the exact same thing while at Idle while in Polestar/Dynamic Mode. I believe (don't quote me on this) that this is the car priming the supercharger for quicker reaction and launch. A few updates ago, the T6's would instead increase revs at idle to a default JUST under 1k. I think the switch away from this to the supercharger priming was the increased idle greatly affected gas consumption, whereas the supercharger priming did not. TBH, I have a 2017 S90 T6 that does not have Polestar, and hasn't been updated to remove the increased idle while in Dynamic, and I think it initially responds quicker than my S60. I would rather deal with a little increase in consumption for the initially quicker acceleration but that is just me.
Thanks! Good info!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I thought the supercharger has a tank that refills in 2 seconds and is ready to go in any mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
Most likely supercharger whine (youtube it) rather than transmission noise, as stated above. Depending on the driving mode and the way you apply gas sounds more or less.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've noticed the same noise but not just in Dynamic. It stops a second or two after I let off the brakes, whether i touch the gas or not.

Whats this about the supercharger priming an a supercharger tank? Isn't it a standard belt-driven supercharger? What's there to prime?

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was talking about an article I’ve read but realized the Volvo PowerPulse system is for diesel only. Sorry for confusion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts