SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just got my new 2019 XC90 T6-R about a month ago and it now has about 1500 miles on it. Today while driving, anytime I am doing medium-hard acceleration, this loud metallic noise comes into the car. I was able to repro the noise repeatedly for about 20 minutes and was able to record the noise which I've uploaded here: https://youtu.be/zOALSahd5gg

The tested conditions where the noise increases with RPM:
1. Radio on/off
2. AC on/off
3. Automatic or e-shift

The only time the noise isn't present regardless of engine throttle is when the car is shifted into neutral.

I will be scheduling a service appt tomorrow morning but wanted to see if anyone here has experienced this problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am not hearing any harsh metallic sound. What I am hearing is what sounds like some kind of a short in the sound system (as it gets louder / more pronounced as the revs rise).

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sounds like an exhaust or turbo / super charger from my end.

And since you’ve mentioned it doesn’t appear in neutral. I’m guessing it’s the supercharger.

Try accelerating from stop “before the turbo” kicks in.

Have a feeling it’s the supercharger bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
To me, it sounds like a supercharge whine gone wrong

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Exact same sound about 30 days ago with my two month old 2019 XC 90 inscription. I did a search online at the time and I believe I found people mentioned that the car has a sound cancellations system. I believe it was some sort of defect with it and that for some reason it was making that horrible noise while accelerating. It has never made the sound again so I haven’t done anything more about it. Please post what you find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts