SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go on a road trip from California to the Grand Canyon by way of Arizona. Loaded up camping gear and bikes this morning and headed to a halfway point near Parker, Az. Car drove fine the whole trip out which was about 4 hours. Stopped a half hour before our destination to eat. No problems at all. Drove down the road about 20 miles (60 mph) and then the last mile is a dirt road (15mph). Pulled up to the house, unloaded a few things and went to plug the car into a garage outlet but I had not parked close enough. Went to start the car and roll it up a few feet but when I turned the switch, the car wouldn’t start.

I tried several times and the gauges would initiate and then revert back to a message that said to turn the switch to start the car. Got out of the car and locked it. Used the Volvo On Call app and started the car remotely. Within a few seconds of being on (maybe 10) the engine kicked on. I unlocked the car and got in. There was the the standard message about it being started remotely, and tried the switch again. The ICE seemed to almost stall but kept running and the system displayed Hybrid System Failure.

I moved the car back and plugged it into a 110 outlet. Went inside and found the nearest dealership which was a few hours away in Scottsdale, AZ. Decided if I could get the car started, we’d try and get there before closing. The car had taken about a quarter of a charge and it started okay. Still displayed the error and kept repeating the error throughout our drive to the dealer.

During the drive I charged the vehicle to 3/4 charge and used Hold to assure I could restart if I had to stop. Aside from the Failure messages, the car drove fine.

So far, the dealer has been great. They had an XC60 loaner available so I’m currently experiencing a T5. I’d test driven one previously but it is different now that I have 6k miles behind the wheel of a T8.

Will post more as I find out what the problem is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hybrid System Failure is an error message that has appeared on many cars for various causes (or no cause at all). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what triggers it.

In many cases it has no effect whatever on using the car -- everything works normally except for displaying the message. When it happened to me it was fixed with a simple software update and the dealer told me that I could have kept driving it as much as I wanted to before bringing it in.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Hybrid System Failure is an error message that has appeared on many cars for various causes (or no cause at all). There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what triggers it.

In many cases it has no effect whatever on using the car -- everything works normally except for displaying the message. When it happened to me it was fixed with a simple software update and the dealer told me that I could have kept driving it as much as I wanted to before bringing it in.
We can't determine before getting the diagnosis code. It could mean minor or big things up to ERAD malfunction.
If the CEL code is read and we know it is something minor like the ERAD thermostat, of course it is not big deal. But a Hybrid System Failure message looks more serious than the CEL code for ERAD thermostat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No news yet although I do expect it is more serious than the thermostat. My thermostat was replaced back in November when the car had less than 100 miles on it. I let this dealer know and they said they aren’t replacing the thermostat anymore. As of two months ago they changed the parts and or the way it is fixed.

Not too worried about future costs. Hybrid System is under warranty for quite some time. In California, I believe the battery is for 10 years. I’ll likely be on to my next car well before then.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just heard back. The charging port is connecting and disconnecting. They ordered a new one and will be replacing it.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
No news yet although I do expect it is more serious than the thermostat. My thermostat was replaced back in November when the car had less than 100 miles on it. I let this dealer know and they said they aren’t replacing the thermostat anymore. As of two months ago they changed the parts and or the way it is fixed.

Not too worried about future costs. Hybrid System is under warranty for quite some time. In California, I believe the battery is for 10 years. I’ll likely be on to my next car well before then.

Glad it is only small charging port issue. so no worries.

Likely your thermostat is still old parts (find out in the invoice if it doesn't say T-connector on the part number line). Then you will still see the CEL about thermostat in a few years. Or you can ask your dealer to replace it with the new T-connector parts in next annual service.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since the original service was back in November 2018, they probably just replaced the thermostat. Maybe I’ll just ask this dealer if they’ll replace it with the t connector since I cannot pick the car up for a couple more days anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts