SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are XC60 veterans but new to the R-Design. Acquiring a 2019 Xc60 R design with 21 inch wheels. Wanted to talk about the seats and the wheels.

Seats: Our first Volvo was a 2004 V70 Titanium edition. To say we fell in love with the seats in that car would be an understatement. I often told my husband I wanted to be buried sitting in that car. Morbid, but true. So extremely comfortable. After a 14 hour car drive, still felt like you were home on your sofa.

Fast forward a few years. We have since had/have a V60 wagon (my husband drives) and two Xc60s. This time we are upgrading to an R design, for me. Have read on this forum discussion about Inscription versus R design seats and opinions vary. My husband is 6-2 and I am 5-6 and we are both fairly narrow framed. However we watched a video review whereby the reviewer felt the bottom cushion of the R seats in particular were firm, he thought too much so. We test drove an Inscription followed immediately by an R that night. Both were comfortable, Inscription seats perhaps *softer* and R design had more of a wrap around feel (similar to sport seats in our V60|) So we went for R design. Anyone currently driving an R design care to weigh in on whether seats feel firm (too firm or rigid?) on the bottom and whether the material (nubuck? Leather light?) starts to feel softer and less firm as the vehicle breaks in?? our other "pleather" Xc60 seats have always been just meh to us for comfort. Okay but not stellar. We think/hope we are getting an upgrade in the seat department.

21 inch wheels come on the car. They look really good. You feel bumps more than in Inscription for sure, but we both like feeling the road when we drive. We are in a northern climate (Ottawa Canada) so smaller winters will go on in November and assume they will be less low profile and perhaps a bit of a smoother ride. We don’t like SUVs eg Lexus, Ford Edge that float along like a boat. We think the R design will be a good mix of feeling the road and still give me the height I like in an SUV.

I realize both seats and wheels are subjective but any experienced XC60 R design owners with thoughts welcome as I tap my foot not patiently waiting for this new driving experience to start.

Kathryn

·
Registered
997 Posts
I recommend the seats over any other Volvo ones, and the 21's, but I have air susp, so that helps.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have R-Design with 21” wheels and I love it. I don’t notice any roughness and I’m often driving with the suspension in Power mode. The seats are a significant improvement from my 2010 XC60.

The Inscription luxury nappa seats are great, but the ventilation was too loud for my taste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
686 Posts
seats and wheels

I have R-Design with 21” wheels and I love it. I don’t notice any roughness and I’m often driving with the suspension in Power mode. The seats are a significant improvement from my 2010 XC60.

The Inscription luxury nappa seats are great, but the ventilation was too loud for my taste.

i irregularly drive to ottawa and back to central vt.
my 2018 xc60R has the most comfortable seats i've ever experienced in a car, long drives are more pleasurable as one should expect.
also fitted are the 21" wheels and tires for the non-inclement months. far better handling than the 19' wheels with winter tires. but the winter tread gets through the snow.
also greatly appreciated on long highway drives are the pilot assist and adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I realize both seats and wheels are subjective but any experienced XC60 R design owners with thoughts welcome as I tap my foot not patiently waiting for this new driving experience to start.

Kathryn
Seats are very subjective, indeed. But, the seats were a deal breaker for me with the Type R. I wanted a Type R because I love the bursting blue color and some of the sporty design elements. The bolsters on the seat bottom were uncomfortable for ME (and you may love them, every body is different). I'm not a large guy by any means (5'10", normal body weight). However, I tend to sit in the car with my legs somewhat spread and I hate seats with aggressive seat bottom bolsters because they cut into my leg and thighs. Admittedly, I'm a big overly sensitive about this aspect of seats because it was a major issue on my last car.

I opted for the Inscription, but would have gotten a Type R if had the inscription seats. This is also part of the reason, btw, I opted to avoid Audi and BMW - bottoms of the seats were too narrow and too bolstered.

As for tires, I have the 20" on mine and I think the XC60 has a stiff ride that can border on being slightly harsh at times (not horrible, mind you). The 21" doesn't make a lot of sense in this vehicle, and the lower profile tires will make your wheels a lot more susceptible to damage and you'll feel every bump.

IMO, there is not compelling reason to get the Type R other than cosmetics. Otherwise, the Inscription makes a lot more sense and will be easier to live with overall.

Incidentally, the Ford Edge does not handle like a floaty boat. My last vehicle was a Lincoln MKX (which is basically a Ford Edge with leather seats and a nicer interior). I like my XC60 way better than I liked that SUV, but the Edge/Nautilus had a nicer ride for sure and also handled just as well as my XC60.

Oh, and one last downside to the Type R - it comes only in a black interior. The combo brown and black interiors (I have what Volvo call's maroon but it's actually a saddle brown color) are stunning and you'll lose that option.

·
Registered
724 Posts

most Inscriptions do not come with nappa or ventilation. Those are features of the luxury package, which is actually rather rare on dealer lots (at least in the states).

·
Registered
724 Posts
I recommend the seats over any other Volvo ones, and the 21's, but I have air susp, so that helps.
The one option I didn't spec which I wish I had. Again, suspension preference is a lot like seat preference - its a matter of opinion. But, the XC60 with the air suspension has a more comfortable ride than the base suspension and feels more refined overall (again, totally my opinion rather than fact).

The next one I lease will definitely have the air suspension.

·
Registered
253 Posts

After owning & loving a 2015.5 R-Design with the most comfortable (& full leather) seats I ever sat in, I was convinced I did not want Nubuck so opted for a 2018 Inscription. I special ordered & waited 6 months, primarily because of the luxury seats. It took almost a year for me to decide that the luxury seats are as comfortable as the RD seats, although not as snug fitting. I rarely use the ventilation as I do not feel much difference & rarely if ever use the massage function. I have 20" wheels & the suspension can be a bit hard on bumps but otherwise feels good. The air suspension helps with handling/sportiness but I do not think the ride is any softer or smoother. Although I am now happy with the luxury seat comfort, I would still opt for the RD if those sport seats came in Nappa leather instead of Nubuck, especially given the cost of the luxury seat package.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the luxury nappa seats- Way too firm for me, am thinking of selling it. Cant hear the ventilation when its on. I think the massage function is what makes it too firm. Car has 7yr, 100k cpo warranty- anyone interested??? Has every option including B&W .

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the R-design but with 19" and no air suspension.

I really like the seats, but yes, they are firm. I don't care for the seat extensions, and the gap when you extend the seats is uncomfortable, but no bid deal, I just don't do it.

Air suspension: is there anyone who doesn't think it's superior? I wasn't sure if it was worth it, and didn't get it. And I'm still not sure, but I'm sure I'd love it if I had it.

21" wheels: I never understood getting wheels that are antithetical to the purpose of an SUV. But as most SUVs never see off-road, I'd imagine XC60s see even less offroad than most. But yeah, they look good.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have the R-design but with 19" and no air suspension.

I really like the seats, but yes, they are firm. I don't care for the seat extensions, and the gap when you extend the seats is uncomfortable, but no bid deal, I just don't do it.

Air suspension: is there anyone who doesn't think it's superior? I wasn't sure if it was worth it, and didn't get it. And I'm still not sure, but I'm sure I'd love it if I had it.

21" wheels: I never understood getting wheels that are antithetical to the purpose of an SUV. But as most SUVs never see off-road, I'd imagine XC60s see even less offroad than most. But yeah, they look good.
I agree with you about the tires/wheels completely. I just don't get the point of fat low profile tires on a SUV.

re: Air suspension. I do NOT have it so take my opinion with a huge grain of salt. I test drove an XC60 with the air suspension before I leased mine. I did think it handle road irregularities a lot better. In general, ride comfort is not a strong point of the XC60 but I thought it was noticeably better with the air suspension. I like my XC60 enough that I will likely lease another if this lease is up - and I will choose the air suspension the next time.

Every single word I just wrote is an opinion, and I have no hard data here at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Love my 2018 RD and have both the 21” and Air.

I find the ride extremely smooth and comfortable. The seats are also extremely comfortable but did take a little bit to get used to the bolsters.

As others have said... after long drives, you still feel like you’re on you comfy chair at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have the luxury nappa seats- Way too firm for me, am thinking of selling it. Cant hear the ventilation when its on. I think the massage function is what makes it too firm. ...
Agree, luxury seats could have used more padding (which probably would make the massaging less efficient though). At least they could have put more foam in the bottom cushion.

The one option I didn't spec which I wish I had. Again, suspension preference is a lot like seat preference - its a matter of opinion. But, the XC60 with the air suspension has a more comfortable ride than the base suspension and feels more refined overall (again, totally my opinion rather than fact).

The next one I lease will definitely have the air suspension.
Yep, air suspension is a must for anyone looking for ride comfort (most people). Extra complexity may make it more of a liability in the long run, time will tell. Still, I have it in my XC60, and would absolutely get it again.

+1. R-Design contour seats are the ones to get in SPA vehicles. I wish Volvo USA made them available in all trims.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Air suspension is awesome, although it was at the dealer for over a week after air compressor and distribution valve? failed around 16k miles. Working good so far. Primarily my wife's car, but when I drive it I do notice seats are a tight fit, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Air suspension is awesome, although it was at the dealer for over a week after air compressor and distribution valve? failed around 16k miles. Working good so far. Primarily my wife's car, but when I drive it I do notice seats are a tight fit, but you get used to it.
Is there a car with air suspension that *is* reliable? I had an LR4, never an issue, but man, that was the exception, not the rule!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts