SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I have a 2019 XC60 T5 Momentum with about 5,000 miles on it.

We've consistently seen failures of the brake autohold system. It will annunciate an error and disable the feature. Sometimes it corrects itself after turning the car on and off, other times it stays disabled until brought in for maintenance.

We've also had several times where the parking brake has failed to fully disengage after starting the car and putting it into reverse or drive. I've been able to resolve this by manually applying and removing the parking brake using the switch and/or restarting the car.

I'd taken the car in for service three times and they have updated various bits of software in an attempt to fix it. I believe the brake control unit was also replaced on the last visit.

Last weekend, I received, simultaneously, another brake autohold failure annunciation, along with an SRS air bag failure annunciation.

I brought the car back to Volvo this week for the fourth time and have now been told that Volvo is aware of a problem with multiple vehicles and is trying to diagnose it and find a fix. In the meantime, the recommendation was to not use the autohold feature.

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar problem?

·
Registered
78 Posts
15000 miles on mine- no issues

·
Registered
442 Posts
8900 on mine. Also no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hi all:

I think the question is clear and simple.

If you do not have a similar problem, I think it's unnecessary to answer, it would be stupid that 100 or more people from the forum write that they do not have a problem. That's my opinion

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yes and that is why I will use it for a bit to see if my car has the problem. As a long time manual transmission driver I always use the parking brake to keep it from corroding and seizing up. But I have just been pressing the button.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Can you take a picture of the error messages?

I never had nor heard of a similar problem.

·
Registered
364 Posts
When you have these errors do you have your seatbelt on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you aware that the SPA vehicles don't have a traditional parking brake? The vehicles all apply pressure on (all four) rotors via the brake calipers used for regular braking. You can also apparently deploy the 'parking brake' whilst the vehicle is moving and it will modulate the brakes to bring the vehicle to a complete stop as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
No, the parking brake is just on the rear wheels. The rear calipers have electric motors that engage the pistons.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Are you aware that the SPA vehicles don't have a traditional parking brake? The vehicles all apply pressure on (all four) rotors via the brake calipers used for regular braking. You can also apparently deploy the 'parking brake' whilst the vehicle is moving and it will modulate the brakes to bring the vehicle to a complete stop as quickly as possible.
All modern cars, for a long time do not have a classic handbrake.

On all wheels? Where did you get this information?
No pressure is used - hydraulics, but they use rear-wheel electric motors that run rear calipers. Audi has been using this system since 2008

·
Registered
142 Posts
No, the parking brake is just on the rear wheels. The rear calipers have electric motors that engage the pistons.
My Audi Q5 worked exactly like that. Also, holding the button while moving would apply the rear brakes to slow the car down.

I wonder if echemus is thinking of the system also on Audi where the pads are touched gently on the rotors to dry the disks. This is done when the wipers are on to slightly speed up brake application in rain by having the disks predried.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all:

An update here -- apparently there is a TIE bulletin about this problem. "SPA - Auto hold service required message displayed" issued on July 11th. Supposedly a software fix is being investigated. In the meantime, Volvo is recommending keeping the auto hold functionality off.

Frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been playing with the auto brake thing.
As far as I can see if the green led in the switch is on and you stop in drive...a normal traffic stop, then the green brake symbol will light and it all works.
But if you stop and go into Park then there is no brake led lit and to me it feels as if the car moves that inch onto the transmission parking pawl. However when you restart the engine the green brake symbol light comes on until you try to move.
So I am not sure that the real parking brake works until you lift the handle. Is this a bug or a feature. I think it is a bug probably introduced by a Swedish engineer who has used the parking brake on his car since he first was licensed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exact Same Issue

I have just under 7,000 miles on my 2019 XC60...same exact issue. The SRS Airbag light comes and goes, but the auto hold service required light won't go away. Any chance the dealers have figured this bug out by now?

Hi all:

We've consistently seen failures of the brake autohold system. It will annunciate an error and disable the feature. Sometimes it corrects itself after turning the car on and off, other times it stays disabled until brought in for maintenance.

We've also had several times where the parking brake has failed to fully disengage after starting the car and putting it into reverse or drive. I've been able to resolve this by manually applying and removing the parking brake using the switch and/or restarting the car.

I'd taken the car in for service three times and they have updated various bits of software in an attempt to fix it. I believe the brake control unit was also replaced on the last visit.

Last weekend, I received, simultaneously, another brake autohold failure annunciation, along with an SRS air bag failure annunciation.

I brought the car back to Volvo this week for the fourth time and have now been told that Volvo is aware of a problem with multiple vehicles and is trying to diagnose it and find a fix. In the meantime, the recommendation was to not use the autohold feature.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine just makes some kind of mechanical noise when they are engaged 98% of the time, and sounds horrible but subtle like the car wants to move but it's stuck (that kind of noise). I asked the dealership to check it out but as usual they say there's no noise. I bet they just engaged without driving it around and testing them. So they dismissed it by saying no noise are found. Wonder if anyone else have these "normal" mechanical noise. As for errors I haven't had any of those.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have had some auto hold issues but none that posted a warning. I have had it not want to hold when ICE is running and the car slowly lurches forward bit by bit until I take auto hold off and use the brake. Only 5k miles on this car, and the auto hold seems to not have any issues when I am running on battery.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I have just under 7,000 miles on my 2019 XC60...same exact issue. The SRS Airbag light comes and goes, but the auto hold service required light won't go away. Any chance the dealers have figured this bug out by now?

Hi all:

There is a software update for the Auto Hold message.

·
Registered
2018 XC60 T6 Inscription
96 Posts
I sometimes get a message that autohold requires service. (It's happened maybe 10 time in the two years I've had my XC60.) The problem always goes away next time the car is started.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts