SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed this from Volvo US website "build your car"???

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Yes. I believe new colors are coming with the MY2020 XC90 refresh and those will likely trickle down after they're revealed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, I thought something was up when the OSD price lists changed "Maple brown metallic" to a custom color about 6 months ago (for the V90 CC only) and eliminated all custom colors for the XC90 a couple of months later.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This seems to go against their sales statistics, and eventually against their chances of selling more V90 CCs, as Maple Brown Metallic accounted for 66% of V90 CC's sales, according to a comment I read in this forum.

Perhaps, because the color is so popular, Volvo's strategy is "if you want a Maple Brown Metallic, you're gonna have to special order the V90", which might be their way to increase sales in those models.

·
Registered
670 Posts
This seems to go against their sales statistics, and eventually against their chances of selling more V90 CCs, as Maple Brown Metallic accounted for 66% of V90 CC's sales, according to a comment I read in this forum.

Perhaps, because the color is so popular, Volvo's strategy is "if you want a Maple Brown Metallic, you're gonna have to special order the V90", which might be their way to increase sales in those models.
A little misquote from my post about the 66% thing. My post was in response to porschie356 stating that where he lives that 66% of the three V90’s in the are Maple Brown. I have no idea how many 90’s of the total 600 or so are Maple Brown. Who would know the real totals, they’re so rare!

Cheers!

·
Registered
228 Posts
...as Maple Brown Metallic accounted for 66% of V90 CC's sales, according to a comment I read in this forum.
I've noticed that many of the v90 CC automotive mag website reviews feature maple brown...and our local dealer had (3) executive demos with less than 6k miles...also have seen other dealers online with maple brown stock...wondering if this is a color than volvo views as "stock"...hence the 66%...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little misquote from my post about the 66% thing. My post was in response to porschie356 stating that where he lives that 66% of the three V90’s in the are Maple Brown. I have no idea how many 90’s of the total 600 or so are Maple Brown. Who would know the real totals, they’re so rare!

Cheers!
Oops, thanks for the clarification!

A popular color nonetheless.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
Oops, thanks for the clarification!

A popular color nonetheless.

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk
No worries!

I find it hard to understand why Volvo hasn’t done more aggressive marketing of the V90, it’s had a lot of positive reviews in the automotive press, but I’ve never seen even one TV ad featuring this excellent automobile. Since the S60 and the XC40 were introduced I’ve seen hundreds of TV ads for these models.

So, the V90’s will remain rare.

Side note: Saw a reference today about the 15 most beautiful cars in an article by Car and Driver. The V90 Inscription is on that list. I concur. 🤓

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've noticed that many of the v90 CC automotive mag website reviews feature maple brown...and our local dealer had (3) executive demos with less than 6k miles...also have seen other dealers online with maple brown stock...wondering if this is a color than volvo views as "stock"...hence the 66%...
That is exactly what I'm thinking. There is a nice loaded 2019 Maple Brown V90 CC in Worcester MA with about 7K miles on it. I got the Maple Brown V90 Inscription from a dealer close to Boston. Mine also had about 7K miles on it. A lot of the tester reviews received Maple Brown V90 CC's or Inscriptions. Not a coincidence methinks.

Lots of demo Maple Browns selling at a good deal. Both of these local Maple Browns were available for less than $50K. It is a good deal.

It is also very hard to get Maple Brown accessories I am finding. Maple Brown is far from my favorite color in this car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is exactly what I'm thinking. There is a nice loaded 2019 Maple Brown V90 CC in Worcester MA with about 7K miles on it. I got the Maple Brown V90 Inscription from a dealer close to Boston. Mine also had about 7K miles on it. A lot of the tester reviews received Maple Brown V90 CC's or Inscriptions. Not a coincidence methinks.

Lots of demo Maple Browns selling at a good deal. Both of these local Maple Browns were available for less than $50K. It is a good deal.

It is also very hard to get Maple Brown accessories I am finding. Maple Brown is far from my favorite color in this car.
...for less than $50k - totally true...for loaded B&W+ versions...tempting...but i got my V90CC OR for a tad more... :) ...well worth it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
...for less than $50k - totally true...for loaded B&W+ versions...tempting...but i got my V90CC OR for a tad more... :) ...well worth it!
The B+W system, vented seats, self piloting, and the HUD we're all a must for me.

I think I would have liked a CC more though in terms of ride. The V90 is super low.

·
Registered
228 Posts
...Saw a reference today about the 15 most beautiful cars in an article by Car and Driver. The V90 Inscription is on that list. I concur.
I may be biased, but in terms of overall styling/design/features and overall "beauty" - IMO, the v90 cross country ocean race is the best looking volvo in the line-up...hands down...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Originally I ordered the Maple with maroon brown interior. Too late for 2018 and Volvo wouldn't accept the combo for 2019. So I got "stuck" with an Ocean Race. Love it. Definitely a better color for Maine's winter grime. And that light gray cladding and wide spoke wheels.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
...Definitely a better color for Maine's winter grime. And that light gray cladding and wide spoke wheels.....
true that..same for Syracuse's winter grime...

SUVs are SUVs...dime a dozen...i continue to get compliments on my v90CC OR...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Originally I ordered the Maple with maroon brown interior. Too late for 2018 and Volvo wouldn't accept the combo for 2019. So I got "stuck" with an Ocean Race. Love it. Definitely a better color for Maine's winter grime. And that light gray cladding and wide spoke wheels.....
Eliot ME here. My Maple Brown looks filthy right now. Its already brown, oh well.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Dealers got one Maple Brown lux package and one Osmium Grey no-lux package as demos. So those statistics may be skewed by that. I've seen white and silver on the roads just as much more recently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts