SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I finally found a dealership in the country that has a new S90 as close as possible to the build specs I was looking for. I've owned two Toyota 4Runners (last one purchased in 2006 and still driving it) and so Volvo and how they handle pricing is new to me. The listed MSRP is about 70k after options which is about normal from what I can see. What I am trying to determine now is if I had my local dealership here in Las Vegas do a dealer trade to get that one, would the A-Plan pricing (drops it to around 66K) I have access to still be applicable? And after that, is there usually any negotiating past the listed A-Plan prices or is that usually the bottom line?

This forum has been a treasure trove of information for me and I appreciate all the help everyone provides!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Hi. Yes, your retailer can do a dealer trade, if they want to.

If you chose to go A-plan, there are no further negotiations, allowed. If the retailer sells the car $1 below the designated A-plan price, they will not get the A-plan incentive which will result in a higher price for you.

Let me know if you need help; they are good people there, they are one of the retailer (I work for VCUSA).

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you chose to go A-plan, there are no further negotiations, allowed. If the retailer sells the car $1 below the designated A-plan price, they will not get the A-plan incentive which will result in a higher price for you.

Let me know if you need help; they are good people there, they are one of the retailer (I work for VCUSA).
Right now I have a colleague who works at corporate who is searching for a vehicle for me as my local dealership here in Vegas claims they couldn't find any builds similar to what I wanted within the US. The one I found is VERY close but I figured if it took me 5 minutes and I found one, theres a slight chance there may be another one in the country that has everything I want, rather than conceding on the exterior color and removing the luxury package. If I can find one then its time to start looking at numbers. Right now with the build for the one I did find it was about 5.88% discount which is great for not having to negotiate but that seems a little low from what I am hearing about what I could potentially get. So for now its just waiting on my colleague to get back to me (and hoping the one I found doesn't get sold before she does in case she couldn't find another).

·
Registered
323 Posts

Can't you still do a custom build with A-Plan? We've bought 2 cars using A-Plan, but in both cases the dealer had what we wanted on the lot so it wasn't an issue.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't you still do a custom build with A-Plan? We've bought 2 cars using A-Plan, but in both cases the dealer had what we wanted on the lot so it wasn't an issue.
You can but you can't get anything custom for S90's as there is nothing being imported from China due to the high tariff's on each unit. So for an S90 I am limited to whats already in the country.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I’m “just a guy in a diner”, not an expert, but I think you can do better than A Plan pricing. These cars are ice cold as far as I can tell but you may have to buy one from the dealer who has it in inventory. The reason i say this is because if your preferred dealer wants to trade for it the dealer that has it will want something that is a hotter seller. Why would your dealer want to give up a hot seller for a car with little to no profit? I think they would do it for AS Plan pricing but not much better.

Just some thoughts.....I repeat, i am not in the biz and my advice could only be worth the .02 Im offering. Just a guy who’s bought a lot of cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
I'm "just a guy in a diner", not an expert, but I think you can do better than A Plan pricing.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seconded. You can do a lot better than the A-Plan pricing! Especially on S90s. To give you an idea, I did not qualify for the A-Plan or the Costco pricing plan and I still got an almost 20% discount on my MY18 when purchased new in June last year.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm "just a guy in a diner", not an expert, but I think you can do better than A Plan pricing. These cars are ice cold as far as I can tell but you may have to buy one from the dealer who has it in inventory. The reason i say this is because if your preferred dealer wants to trade for it the dealer that has it will want something that is a hotter seller. Why would your dealer want to give up a hot seller for a car with little to no profit? I think they would do it for AS Plan pricing but not much better.

Just some thoughts.....I repeat, i am not in the biz and my advice could only be worth the .02 Im offering. Just a guy who's bought a lot of cars
Seconded. You can do a lot better than the A-Plan pricing! Especially on S90s. To give you an idea, I did not qualify for the A-Plan or the Costco pricing plan and I still got an almost 20% discount on my MY18 when purchased new in June last year.
Thats what have been reading. While I don't think I may be able to do as much as 20% I certainly think I can get more than the 5.88% off the APlan is providing. The more entertaining part now is that the dealership who has the car hasn't returned my calls. The manager called once, left a voicemail and I've reached out multiple times with no further responses. I keep trying (and searching for another) and hopefully I'll find a car and a dealership who wants to sell it rather than sitting on inventory.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
Expand your search area. I had to buy out-of-state as well even though Michigan had almost 50-60 V90CCs as none had the build/spec that I wanted. The nearest one was in IL, 5 hours away from me.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Expand your search area. I had to buy out-of-state as well even though Michigan had almost 50-60 V90CCs as none had the build/spec that I wanted. The nearest one was in IL, 5 hours away from me.
Yup I did. The Volvo inventory search on their website however has a limited range so I have been choosing zip codes progressively further. As the local dealership came back with nothing, I also reached out to a colleague who works at Volvo corporate who asked someone in the sales team to look for me as well which hopefully is a much larger search of the entire US.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,100 Posts
Yup I did. The Volvo inventory search on their website however has a limited range so I have been choosing zip codes progressively further. As the local dealership came back with nothing, I also reached out to a colleague who works at Volvo corporate who asked someone in the sales team to look for me as well which hopefully is a much larger search of the entire US.
I always used cars.com or cargurus.com for any (new/cpo) inventory search. They are very accurate and you can expand your search to the entire USofA. Infact, never used the Volvo inventory search on their website.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always used cars.com or cargurus.com for any (new/cpo) inventory search. They are very accurate and you can expand your search to the entire USofA. Infact, never used the Volvo inventory search on their website.
Awesome, good to know. I didn't think we could select packages or options on those sites but I'll check again today.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
I agree with expanding the search and using a third party website. I'd look in the entire country. If you get a good enough deal it will more than make up for the $1k in shipping cost. Or better yet, fly somewhere to pick the car up and take a vacation driving it back.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea the issue really is finding a model with blonde interior, advanced package, luxury package, air suspension and B&W sound. I found a single model in MD that has everything but the luxury package though interesting enough I can't find anything via cars.com or cargurus.com that come close. Seems to be a combination that was either not popular or was extremely popular and has already sold inventory of them given the lack of imports. I'm trying to work with the dealer in MD as I wouldn't mind settling on that one if I can get it but also have my friend at corporate walking over to her sales team right now to get a status on their search for me.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the dealer in MD dropped the ball and just can't seem to make up their minds on prices so I am walking away from them. I got a response from my friend at Volvo Corp who did a search and found two more vehicles, one in MN and apparently one at the port still (funny how the dealership I started working with said there was nothing at the port)! The question I haven't been able to find out is would an independent dealership be able to claim a new car at the port or would it have to be a Volvo dealership? Does anyone know? Also anyone know what port the S90's come in to? I assume somewhere in CA?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well the dealer in MD dropped the ball and just can't seem to make up their minds on prices so I am walking away from them. I got a response from my friend at Volvo Corp who did a search and found two more vehicles, one in MN and apparently one at the port still (funny how the dealership I started working with said there was nothing at the port)! The question I haven't been able to find out is would an independent dealership be able to claim a new car at the port or would it have to be a Volvo dealership? Does anyone know? Also anyone know what port the S90's come in to? I assume somewhere in CA?
I don't understand what you mean by 'independent dealership' vs 'Volvo dealership'. I didn't think Volvo owned any dealerships and that they were all independent.

With regards to Volvo finding one at port your dealer didn't -- I don't know about Volvo, but what I did learn with Audi (so possibly applies to other foreign manufacturers) is that they use an east coast port for eastern US dealers, a west coast port for western US dealers, and Houston for the central US. When I was in Chicago, then Dallas, those Audi dealers had access to only those cars coming into the Houston port, which makes sense since they'd have distribution and transportation routes already in place between certain ports and certain dealer locations. It seems that if Volvo would tell you at which port the one you want is sitting, it should be a simple matter to call a couple local dealers and ask if they can lay claim on it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't understand what you mean by 'independent dealership' vs 'Volvo dealership'. I didn't think Volvo owned any dealerships and that they were all independent.

With regards to Volvo finding one at port your dealer didn't -- I don't know about Volvo, but what I did learn with Audi (so possibly applies to other foreign manufacturers) is that they use an east coast port for eastern US dealers, a west coast port for western US dealers, and Houston for the central US. When I was in Chicago, then Dallas, those Audi dealers had access to only those cars coming into the Houston port, which makes sense since they'd have distribution and transportation routes already in place between certain ports and certain dealer locations. It seems that if Volvo would tell you at which port the one you want is sitting, it should be a simple matter to call a couple local dealers and ask if they can lay claim on it.
Sorry, may just not had the wording right there. I have a friend that runs a small auto sales group - buys/sells all sorts of vehicles. I asked him but he wasn't sure if he can (he is looking into it) but I was curious if a group like his could claim a vehicle. I have the FYON number of the vehicle but my corporate contact doesn't have any more details than that in terms of which port it was in or anything. I figured it may be a way to try to claim the vehicle easier than blind calling dealerships and all.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Different time. You will not get that now as incentives have changed.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Again, I think you are making your life very difficult without having to. Work with your Las Vegas retailer or any of the Southern California Volvo retailers.

All S90s come through a port in the Bay Area (Swedish/Belgian made cars headed to the West Coast and Mountain states come through the port outside of Los Angeles).

There are not too many more S90s being imported at this stage, so work with a local store to get what you want or as close as to the one you want; trying to do this long distance will only add to your frusations. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. who is your corporate contact (PM me if you want); he or she should be able to tell you where the car is if you have a FYON.

Send me the FYON and I will tell you where it is.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Sorry, may just not had the wording right there. I have a friend that runs a small auto sales group - buys/sells all sorts of vehicles. I asked him but he wasn't sure if he can (he is looking into it) but I was curious if a group like his could claim a vehicle.
Of course, not. Only an authorized Volvo retailer can obtain a new Volvo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts