SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a little off-season, but I was hanging upside down in my garage on my inversion table when I noticed two small air dams on the bottom side of my S60 just in front of the front tires. The ground clearance on these pieces of hard plastic is about 4 inches. That gives very little ground clearance for snow and ice!

The question I have: Has anyone driven the S60 R-Design (with 19" wheels) in the snow? And if so, do these hard plastic air dams survive or do they break? Can they be removed for the winter?

Otherwise enjoying my new S60 T6 AWD R-Design after one week (although it had to be returned to the dealer because of a software update issue causing an SRS warning). I do miss the 6 cylinder engine that was in my 2012 S60 T6 AWD and the vibrant copper paint. I have the fusion red which is OK, but I am not a "red'" person and all the other S60 colors are boring. But other than that, the 2019 is superior in every other way than the 2012.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sounds like you have the sport appearance kit. You'll probably be alright. I guess how often will you drive in greater than 4" of snow? It never gets that way on the road at least in MA, they plow the roads when it snows. you might move the car around when clearing snow but that should be fresh snow that can be pushed aside. I drove my Moms Quattro Audi down a crusty unplowed road with about 4" of snow when I was a young buck...and I got stuck. Unless you get some aggressive snow tires you probably are not going to be able to navigate any terrain that would rip the little air dam extensions off. Just a guess though.

Watch out for them curbs when parking though!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you have the sport appearance kit. You'll probably be alright. I guess how often will you drive in greater than 4" of snow? It never gets that way on the road at least in MA, they plow the roads when it snows. you might move the car around when clearing snow but that should be fresh snow that can be pushed aside. I drove my Moms Quattro Audi down a crusty unplowed road with about 4" of snow when I was a young buck...and I got stuck. Unless you get some aggressive snow tires you probably are not going to be able to navigate any terrain that would rip the little air dam extensions off. Just a guess though.

Watch out for them curbs when parking though!
Yes I have the sport appearance package. I would not have ordered it that way nor have the 19" wheels, but that was the car on the dealer's lot and I received a very attractive "Memorial Day" sale price. As a ski racing coach, I do drive several times a year in 4" to 8" snow falls. I am going to look at alternate rims and more aggressive snow tread. I guess I will have to jack the car up and see if they can be removed for the winter! I had no problems in the snow with the 2012 S60 T6 AWD in the snow with the 18" wheels (potholes were another story).

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge Pro AWD
457 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts