SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My T8 stopped charging from the 220 or 115 v charger about two weeks ago. I have two 220v chargers that have been working fine for a 1.5 yrs and charge in 3 hrs. 11v v 15 amp standard also has worked fine.

Starting about two to three weeks ago, the charging became erratic, with the iphone app telling me the charging was "paused". I could do nothing from the app to start the charging. connecting and reconnecting worked transiently. finally two weeks ago just a couple days before i left town it would not charge at all from the plug. However, i can charge it while driving. this works fine.

The iphone app was just updated before this started, so i suspect there is some issue with the app and older software in the car.

I would appreciate any advice.

I will take it to the dealer when i get back. I must say, i am getting pretty fed up with all the problems with the XC60 .. I have been to the dealer more in the past 1.5 years than in the whole 10 years with my S80.

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you can reboot the charger (ChargePoint chargers occasionally have this problem), that's the first thing I would suggest.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can reboot the charger (ChargePoint chargers occasionally have this problem), that's the first thing I would suggest.
Thanks for the response .. i have a Clipper Creek HCS40 charger .. However, i have the same problem if i use the 115v cable that come with the car, or the same cable with with the 220v adapter ... or the Charging station .. The chargins station responds when i plug the car in and the lights indicate it is charging .. then the charging pauses.

So, it is the car, not the charger .. Actaully have the same response at two difference charging sites ..

Tom

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Bring it to service. Maybe the charging module....

·
Registered
1 Posts
My T8 stopped charging from the 220 or 115 v charger about two weeks ago. I have two 220v chargers that have been working fine for a 1.5 yrs and charge in 3 hrs. 11v v 15 amp standard also has worked fine.

Starting about two to three weeks ago, the charging became erratic, with the iphone app telling me the charging was "paused". I could do nothing from the app to start the charging. connecting and reconnecting worked transiently. finally two weeks ago just a couple days before i left town it would not charge at all from the plug. However, i can charge it while driving. this works fine.

The iphone app was just updated before this started, so i suspect there is some issue with the app and older software in the car.

I would appreciate any advice.

I will take it to the dealer when i get back. I must say, i am getting pretty fed up with all the problems with the XC60 .. I have been to the dealer more in the past 1.5 years than in the whole 10 years with my S80.

Thanks

Tom
Hello Tom

I'm assuming you had this resolved as it's been a while. I am having similar symptoms with my xc60 T8. When I plug the charger in the blue lights on the charger blink and the light on the cars charging port flashes yellow, the status on the Volvo on call will not change from paused.

Like you mentioned charging with the engine is fine.

Thanks
Assam

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This happened to me once when I plugged into a outdoor gfci at a park. I saw paused in VOC so I went to go check on the car and saw the light on the turbocord was out.

Reset the breaker and it started right up again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Because I am having the same issues, wondering what's the solution for this problem?

Regards,
Michael
It's most likely a false reading in the app. Nothing nefarious just let it charge - most likely not updated and caused by unlocking/locking doors while it was plugged in. I sometimes get that but have learned to ignore the app as long as the charge status light at the port indicates charging. It happened a few times recently so perhaps it's a system wide (cloud) issue. Check your charge indicator light - that will tell you directly what's really happening.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This happened to me once when I plugged into a outdoor gfci at a park. I saw paused in VOC so I went to go check on the car and saw the light on the turbocord was out.

Reset the breaker and it started right up again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unfortunately it doesn't load at any charger with different cables.
Will go to the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's most likely a false reading in the app. Nothing nefarious just let it charge - most likely not updated and caused by unlocking/locking doors while it was plugged in. I sometimes get that but have learned to ignore the app as long as the charge status light at the port indicates charging. It happened a few times recently so perhaps it's a system wide (cloud) issue. Check your charge indicator light - that will tell you directly what's really happening.
Unfortunately it doesn't load at any charger with different cables tried. Loading with the engine is working.

Will go to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had this problem also. The mechanic told me the “hidden high voltage fuses” had blown. When he replaced them, they kept blowing, so he came to the conclusion that the on-board charger was broken and replaced it.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
There's a definite trend here. My on-board charger died after 2yrs.

If you have an '18 XC60/90, expect your charger to die soon. They clearly weren't built for longevity, despite being liquid cooled.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Brought my 2018 XC60 T8 (yes....just turned 2yrs old) to the dealer yesterday with the following complaint:

• The vehicle stopped charging 3 weeks ago. The VOC app shows charging "Paused". When plugged in, the turbo cable blue light blinks for about 3 minutes then goes to steady blue but no vehicle charging has taken place. The vehicle does charge while being driven. The charging cord is in the back of the vehicle.

My dealer just called and advised that they have contacted Volvo and set up a Technical Case as they are not sure what the problem is. I'll update when they hear back from Volvo. I suspect it may be the charging module referenced in this thread.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the info. The dealer advised yesterday that they probably won't have news until next Wednesday at the earliest. The shop manager is working on the car and he is out until next Tuesday. Good news is that my loaner is a 2020 V60 with 200 miles on it. Nice vehicle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just to close the loop on my issue, the good news is the repairs have been completed and the car is back to charging as it should. The repairs were exactly as lamarguy indicated above. Thanks again. They ultimately replaced the On Board Charging Module after starting with the blown fuse. The bad news was that it took 2 full weeks between having to go back and forth with the "Technical Case" with Volvo Sweden and the work schedule of the shop manager, who is the only one who handles T8 issues at my dealer. I had thought of printing out lamarguy's comments when I brought the car in but I know how much the shops dislike that. Here's the invoice write up.

CUSTOMER STATES THE VEHICLE IS NOT CHARGING. THE VOC APP SHOWS
CHARGING "PAUSED" WHEN THE PLUGGED IN. THE TURBO CABLE LIGHT
BLINKS ABOUT 3 MINUTES THEN GOES TO STEADY BLUE. NO VEHICLE
CHARGING HAS TAKEN PLACE. THE VEHICLE DOES CHARGE WHILE
DRIVING. THE TURBO CORD IS LOCATED IN THE CARGO AREA; CHECK AND
ADVISE.
CAUSE: Vehicle high voltage battery not charging
30 PERFORMED OBC REPLACEMENT PER VOLVO GUIDELINES
101 WS (N/C)
1 31483292 *TOTAL UPGRADE (N/C)
1 36011611
BATTERY CHARGE (N/C)
CORE CHARGE W (N/C)
-1 36011611CORE RETURN (N/C)
1 31453866 OBC RELOAD (N/C)
2 985868 FLANGE LOCK NU (N/C)
2 1268176 CLIP (N/C)
1 31346235 FUSE (N/C)
FC: PART#: 31483292 COUNT:
CLAIM TYPE:
AUTH CODE:
PARTS: 0.00 LABOR: 0.00 OTHER: 0.00 TOTAL LINE B: 0.00
VERIFIED CONCERN OPENED TECH CASE PERFORMED TEST PLAN PER TECHLINE.
FOUND THE FUSE FOR THE OBC (ON BOARD CHARGING MODULE) BLOWN. REPLACED
FUSE, CONTINUED TEST PLAN PER TECHLINE. EVENTUALLY REPLACED THE OBC PER
VOLVO GUIDELINES. CHARGED VEHICLE SLOW INSIDE WITH GUESTS PROVIDED
CORD, AND CHARGED SLIGHTLY BACK TO FULL WITH 220ANP CHARGER. THE
VEHICLE VEHICLE IS OPERATING AS DESIGNED AFTER REPAIRS. NO FURTHER WORK

Coincidentally I had complained of my right wiper blade not fully returning to its full rest position and it turned out to be the recent recall on the loose wiper arm nut. The recall was issued while the car was in the shop. They ended up replacing the entire motor assemble. The loose arm/nut gouged out an area on the lip and underside of the hood that their body shop will be fixing in connection with the issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts