SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted before that my 2018 xc60 t8 plugin charger stopped working more or less gradually over the last two months. the charger cable looked like it was charging .. but the iPhone app said it was PAUSED .. and i could not restart it from the app. three different charging cables 220v and 115 didnt work. It would charge fine from the engine. The fact that is was charged was accurately noted on the iPhone App (so the app is connecting).

came back from 4 weeks out of the county hoping my absence would magically fix this, but no luck!

The thing would not charge at the dealer. turns out two fuses were blown in the plugin charge system. These have been ordered .. and i hope to ave the XC60 back this week .. (after a week ! ).

Does anyone have have any ideas regarding what may have caused this?

My 220v plug supports 30 AMPS, which is more than the care needs .. from my understanding of Ohms law, the current should be determined by the voltage and the resistant of the car ... so i dont see this as the answer but mention it incase there is something i dont understand (i am not an electrical engineer).

I am considering a charging station, figuring this may add additional level of regulation. Is there an approved charger list for Volvo? i cannot find one .. there are many chargers that say they are compatible, but this is not the same as Volvo saying they are. Are there any to avoid?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TDC

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
It is more than easily understandable stuff inside, to convert to 400V, and distribute charging current to battery pack.
So I would think the converter module may somehow mis-function and the fuse is to prevent further damage...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You likely had a power surge, man-made or lightning.

The EVSE doesn't protect against surges. The onboard charger does, which explains the blown fuse.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
You likely had a power surge, man-made or lightning.

The EVSE doesn't protect against surges. The onboard charger does, which explains the blown fuse.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Volvo has a very specific way in which they allow the charger to be pulled from the car. Their approach is very conservative. My other electric vehicles allow me to just yank it out. As for charging devices: You really don't need to worry too much about whether or not Volvo approves. The car will only accept a maximum in amps at 110/240 volts. I personally purchased a Tesla portable charger and had the Tesla business end cut off and a J1772 connector attached. I like them because they come with or you can buy different plugs. The plugs determine what amperage will potentially flow. They are good up to 40 amps (older one) and 32 amps (newer ones). Very portable. Another good selection is a older Leaf unit (Panasonic). For around $200 you can have the 110 volt unit modified to handle 220 volts. Another one that will work with 220 volts is the Kia charger. All you need do there is change the plug end. So there are a number of units that are portable. That way you can carry more easily in your car. There are some on the eBay as well that sell for $300 +. Fixed units are very plentiful. I really like Juice Box (great little company started up in the Bay Area) There are some kits you can buy and put together as well. While Volvo is new to this stuff, the chargers have been around now for about 10 years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply .. i figured the XC60 controlled the current, not the charter. I am intrigued by your comment about the "specific way Volvo wants you pull the charger from the car". I noticed that occasionally, the charger gives a "charging fault" when i pull the cable.

tdc

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
When I use the Volvo Charger at home I must lock the car then unlock before I can manage to pull the charger from the car. This process probably first shuts down any power transfer. So when you yank it out you will not cause a surge or damage the electronics in the car. Interesting that you have actually had a charging fault register even after going through the process?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to unlock to be able to remove the charging cable ... and i do get the charge fault ... I lock the car at night so in the AM i unlock it before i pull the charging cable, and with this procedure, i do get the charge / power fault .. not all the time .. i will try unlock-lock-unlock a few times and see this makes any difference.

you mentioned a special way Volvo has to remove the cable in a previous response in this thread. is this what you were talking about?

tom

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Are you unplugging from the car before unplugging from the wall? Unplugging from the wall first while charging or preconditioning will likely cause a fault - assuming that wall receptacle is hot/on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts