SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 XC 90 T5 and the driver seat belt has begun to fray. A case was opened with Volvo no word yet. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Where was the belt fraying? The side of the belt (as if it's rubbing against something coming in/out of the B-pillar)? A specific area across the belt face or back that makes it appear fuzzy, has teeth marks like a gear may have made them, or as if someone had scraped it many little times? Is it on any area that normally touches your body when positioned in-place (like around the belt buckle area on your pants), or only an area that first pulls out and generally repositions back in the B-pillar? Or something else?

I ask because on another non-Volvo forum I used to help moderate, I remember multiple seat belt situations and over the years at least one, maybe two, where the physical safety mechanism in the B-pillar was causing the issue and needed to be replaced. It certainly wasn't a common problem with that other brand, and I of course assume your auto has not been in an accident or a situation where the belts auto-tightened (and maybe didn't even then self-release) on you. You're having the problem in the driver's seat so its obviously not caused from holding down a flawed child seat or from an attached animal harness in the back seat (yup, real examples of owner complaints in that other premium brand.) Without a picture, it may help others take a little closer notice on their Volvo belts. Good luck on the repair!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The belt is fraying by the latch so the area around where the belt would slide

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thx for the photo. :) Yup, looks like what I seem to remember was happening on just one side of another guy’s Lexus years ago. IIRC, the internal mechanism in the B-pillar (and a new seat belt) ended-up being replaced for him under warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update This issue will soon be resolved. Volvo USA authorized replacement A new seat belt has been ordered by the dealer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Good to hear they are taking care of you, with what is hopefully a more obscure problem. Thx for the update. Enjoy that XC90!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Mine got pinched, at the same level. Substituted at no cost, but I think there is some design problem here. Pull angles were not well calculated...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also own 2015.5 xc 60 and the seat belt has a roller / guide definitely more thought went into the design.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts