SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a 2018 T8 that is leftover stock. It has 12,000km on it. I do a lot of short city driving and drive less than 10km to work. I feel like I could use the battery a lot and burn very little gas thus reducing my carbon footprint.

I am concerned about long term reliability? So if you have one, please share your stories.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Looking at buying a 2018 T8 that is leftover stock. It has 12,000km on it. I do a lot of short city driving and drive less than 10km to work. I feel like I could use the battery a lot and burn very little gas thus reducing my carbon footprint.

I am concerned about long term reliability? So if you have one, please share your stories.
Nothing big so far. Only got brake replaced due to squealing. And sticky cup cover blinds replaced. And the hybrid coolant thermostat for service action and trunk struts per recall.

It is great for city driving on battery. This saves a lot on engine and transmission life.

Is it used as a shuttle or by the dealer manager? Weird it got 12k km and still not a used car. If you can get them CPO it would be even better for one year longer warranty, and you can extend it to 10years unlimited mileage.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had my xc60 inscription T8 since Feb 2018 with the upgraded seats. A pleasure to drive and teh seats are amazing .. I have 3 miles left after round trip to work on the battery.

Has been in the shop 3 times in a year and a half for about 5-6 days each time!! Have never had this kind of trouble with a volvo before (first was purchased in 1984). My Feb 2019 visit to the dealership in Pasadena required replacement of the thermostat and some temp controller module. The dealership made the experience a nightmare. Most recent visit to a much better dealer, required replacement of the charging module. each of these replacements is associated with several days to order them.

Sadly, the car was noted on MSN recently to be one of the cars to avoid in 2019 and consumer reports notes reliability issues (for what CR is worth), and so do other car eval sites.

Am deciding currently what to do when the lease expires in 1.5 years ..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had my xc60 inscription T8 since Feb 2018 with the upgraded seats. A pleasure to drive and teh seats are amazing .. I have 3 miles left after round trip to work on the battery.

Has been in the shop 3 times in a year and a half for about 5-6 days each time!! Have never had this kind of trouble with a volvo before (first was purchased in 1984). My Feb 2019 visit to the dealership in Pasadena required replacement of the thermostat and some temp controller module. The dealership made the experience a nightmare. Most recent visit to a much better dealer, required replacement of the charging module. each of these replacements is associated with several days to order them.

Sadly, the car was noted on MSN recently to be one of the cars to avoid in 2019 and consumer reports notes reliability issues (for what CR is worth), and so do other car eval sites.

Wow. Thanks. I will google that. I really want to be an early adopter of this kind of tech. :(

·
Registered
7,362 Posts

I was lucky on the thermostat as they have the last parts in stock. But it is not a big issue and you can still drive while waiting for the parts.
The charging module is critical and luckily it doesn't fail so often.
Dealer experience all varies. No loaner is offered by my local dealer. I had to pay Lyft from pocket once, round trip.
But the car is very good. lol. I'd not hesitate to get a CPO one if need another car in future.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Generally speaking most people really love their T8 whether the XC90 or the XC60 version. The fact that the vehicle has some miles is good in that probably most things have been done to the car saving you the hassle. I would research the service history of the car, and also look at what options the car comes with. If you are going to get a used vehicle I would try and get one that is loaded with all the goodies. B&W Sound, Air Suspension, Inscription Edition (nice Napa Leather Seating) and a few other options.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I’ve loved the car but the reliability has been terrible. It’s currently in the shop for the sixth time. I’ve had brake pads replaced (squeaking issue), boot struts (recall), a blown engine valve and cat converter, and have had an issue all this year where the car refuses to go into electric mode randomly for half a day at a time. There has been no error code for the hybrid system issue, so they’ve been unable to diagnose the issue. A week ago I finally got a orange engine warning light and they’ve diagnosed it as a cam shaft sensor that need replacing. It’s been in the shop for a week. I’m concerned that the sensor is not the problem, but we’re going to have to wait and see what the latest fix does.

I’ve warned Volvo that I’m one more issue away from getting rid of the thing which makes me really sad because I love it. I’ve done 14,000km at an average of 1.7km/100km. That involved a long road trip so it threw the numbers out. I usually run at 1.2|1.3 litres/100km.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also, when you're not sure if you should get the T8 or T6, get a quote from your insurance as well.

Turned out the T8 is an extra $70/month more than the T6 which basically meant I would have to send all my gas savings to my insurance company instead.

That's one reason why I'm leaning towards the T6.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I picked up our '18 T8 in May 2018 via OSD. Since then we've put about 17k miles on it with no major issues. I drove it around Europe for a week when I got it, and since it's been Stateside it's been my wife's commuter vehicle (along with Mom Taxi duties). We've also done a few day long road trips with it (500+ miles each time).

She can charge it at work, which is awesome because her commute is 8 miles each way and the full charge at work covers her round trip. We only charge it at home on the weekends.

It's fantastic for the short commutes because of how cheaply it runs. It's amazing on the long haul drives because of the seats and the ACC and Pilot Assist. It's pretty great at traffic, too. The only thing I wish Pilot Assist/ACC did better was handle stop and go traffic, actually starting up on it's own after a full stop in traffic. It would be PERFECT if it did that.

It's only been in for regular service and the hatch strut recall.

The T8 system has been on the XC90 for a few years prior to the XC60 intro. For that reason I don't really consider it a first year system. Sure there are some differences, but they truly are minor.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
FWIW, a MY19 T8 will have a bigger gas tank.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wow. Thanks. I will google that. I really want to be an early adopter of this kind of tech. :(
Consumer Reports does not rate the XC60 as a model to aviod for reliability reasons. The SPA XC60 is average per CR, and about on par with the competition. CR rates the big brother (XC90) as below average. Note that reliability for the T5, T6, and T8 is aggregated in their data. There aren't enough T8s on the road to rate the vehicles separately.

I will say that my XC60 is very new (just a few months) but the initial build quality far exceeds anything I've owned. Whether that means anything down the line remains to be seen.

CR does not recommend the XC60 because of the stiffish ride and because they don't like SENSUS though - they didn't see reliability as a downside. I do like SENSUS myself but it could use buttons and I agree with CR about the ride.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
CR is ridiculous. They have had 5+ years to figure out how Sensus works and yet they can’t seem to figure it out. It took me less than an hour.

Also, they do not verify that the people who respond to their surveys actually own the cars they are responding about. This opens up their data to insider industry manipulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
724 Posts
CR is ridiculous. They have had 5+ years to figure out how Sensus works and yet they can’t seem to figure it out. It took me less than an hour.

Also, they do not verify that the people who respond to their surveys actually own the cars they are responding about. This opens up their data to insider industry manipulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CR's reliability data are pretty reasonable and have been correlated with outside sources, such as warranty claims. And, if the survey data was manipulated that easily I'm pretty sure some brands (like GM) would not constantly be ending up on the bottom of the pile. The problem is that fudging data like that is illegal, and its not hard to trace each individual response. Their reliability data is pretty rock solid. My only real concern is that even below average cars tend to be fairly reliable these days so that the surveys are no longer as meaningful.

I'm sure CR's testers figured out how to work SENSUS just like you and me. They just are down on that kind of screen only interface and routinely pan it.

I think you have to look at CR as one source of data. Its objective, but you and I don't have to agree. I like SENSUS and don't care about the ride quality in the XC60 that much. I really couldn't give a hoot if CR doesn't like the XC60 - I love mine.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Also, when you're not sure if you should get the T8 or T6, get a quote from your insurance as well.

Turned out the T8 is an extra $70/month more than the T6 which basically meant I would have to send all my gas savings to my insurance company instead.

That's one reason why I'm leaning towards the T6.
This is a new one. I figure the insurance cost on a T8 wouldn’t be that much more. I’ve been shopping insurance for a new Model S and X, and so far it’s only been $50-60.00 more a month than I’m paying for my 2018 xc60 T6 Inscription.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Since this post is about reliability, I read multiple reviews and place my own reliability rating on them. CR does not make my top ten.

Since insurance was invoked in the context of reliability, my comments follow and maybe it is worthy a separate thread.

Insurance varies greatly by region, miles, driver, driving record, claims history, and coverage. The make, model and year of the vehicle affects the premium are certainly factors, too.

The distinction T8 v. T6 is immaterial and inconsequential - at least in MN.

My premium is exactly $62.77 per month on my MY16 XC90 Inscription T8 with a $250 deductible.

That includes full comprehensive and ~$300K liability, uninsured and underinsured, windshield replacement, $50/day rental, and so on.

The original premium for my T8 when new in 206 was originally $46.67 but with only a $25/day rental.

I would think that an XC60 and X90 would be comparatively close in terms of premium and reliability.

BTW:

My wife’s premium for her 2012 Camry has always been 25% more than my MY16 XC90 and we both have excellent driving records.

A quote for Tesla 3 was $166/month (+163%).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
415 Posts
My insurance didnt really change going from a 2016 Outback to a 2019 T8......it did go up because of the new policy....I guess I was locked into a "price" but with a new policy the insurance rate for my wifes car was recalculated...wasnt a lot though.....No issues with my 2019 T8..I only have like 4500 miles on it..ride my motor cycle whenever I can, so it tends to sit all week in the comforts of the garage.

·
Registered
102 Posts
One of the vehicles we currently own is a 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid. Compared to that, the T8 would be only about $10/month more. However, if the MKZ would be replaced by a T6, the charge would go down almost $60/month.

I calculated that this difference between the two would basically covered by the savings in fuel (on 15K miles/year) so that wouldn't really be an issue for us.

When we're ordering in January, I will compare lease prices/incentives of the two and if the lease rate on the T8 is not more than an additional $100/month on the T6, we'll probably go for that.

After all, the T8 is probably a bit more fun to drive and that has a value, too...

·
Registered
415 Posts
In the USA..u get a $5002 federal sales credit on the T8 and many states over incentives as well for electric vehicles...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here is the issue with data like CR or other sources: the T8 is sold in such low volume in the States that the reliability estimates are never broken out by drivetrain.

I don't know what the exact distribution of drivetrains is as far as sales but I'd bet that most respondents have a T5 rather than a T6 or T8. So reliability data are all biased toward the most mechanically simple drivetrain.

The T8 is discussed frequently here because it's an enthusiast forum. And, enthusiasts like you guys, are always drawn to the cutting edge options.

This is probably the one situation in which is recommend ignoring data and sticking with anecdotal reports on car forums.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The T8 is discussed frequently here because it's an enthusiast forum. And, enthusiasts like you guys, are always drawn to the cutting edge options.
Yeah, I also noticed that on this forum, the share of T8-owners among the XC60 forum-members seems to be far higher than the actual share on the road. This is something you see on other forums as well (The BMW-forums of the X7 and X5 make you believe that every second vehicle sold is a V8 - LOL!).

With that said, in regards to reliability, I would assume that with a higher number of T8 owners present, you would see far more complaints on this forum about the T8 if this vehicle would basically be an expensive POS...;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts