SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@JakeInPA - Maybe try a different dealership? I understand you already contacted Volvo but wouldn't hurt to just call up a nearby dealership, tell them you have an MY18 S90 T6 and want to get the Polestar optimization installed. Don't mention anything about it being an L model or the talk you've had with the other dealership. Worth a shot, IMO.
I've tried three dealerships. They say yes initially and then when they search for the part based on the VIN they then say it's not available (and are as surprised as the rest of us). They basically tell me that they can try to shoe-horn in the update for another S90, but if it fails for some reason I won't get my money back. The common speculation is that all of the VINs beginning in L (Assembled in China) are excluded from this list... though nobody is sure if that's for a technical reason, an oversight, or politics.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
I've tried three dealerships. They say yes initially and then when they search for the part based on the VIN they then say it's not available (and are as surprised as the rest of us). They basically tell me that they can try to shoe-horn in the update for another S90, but if it fails for some reason I won't get my money back. The common speculation is that all of the VINs beginning in L (Assembled in China) are excluded from this list... though nobody is sure if that's for a technical reason, an oversight, or politics.
Wow. I'd never heard of that before but from your detailed response maybe there is no missing link in the communication. Although, on the other hand, I bet there are MY18+ S90 T6 owners here on Swedespeed who have the P* tune. Tough luck if what the dealers have told you is, in fact, true.

EDIT: I'll be dropping off my V90CC for its 80k mile service tomorrow and will make sure to speak with my SA and check to see if MY18 S90 T6s have the P* tune available. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
That seems a little odd to me that the dealer would charge you for software that your car won't accept.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That seems a little odd to me that the dealer would charge you for software that your car won't accept.
All of them have said that they have to pay for the software at the time of download and it's non-refundable on their end.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Okay so I ran your VIN.

The Polestar software does show up as available. Part number 31679394.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Okay so I ran your VIN.

The Polestar software does show up as available. Part number 31679394.
Thanks! Can you take a picture or something? The parts guys around here are telling me other things...

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
It's the same part number that was linked earlier in this thread. I'm guessing that there's something else going on here if three different dealerships told OP he couldn't get the download.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Yep, that's correct. If a download isn't confirmed, there should be no charge.

Not sure why it isn't listed on the Polestar site but you can't really blame whoever you were talking to. That screen is more on the technical side rather than parts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just got mine installed at Culver City Volvo. I think the correct part number for T5 is 31679396. Can someone confirm? This thread should be bookmarked for all S90 owners interested in Polestar as you will run into the same problem as me and others.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
An update on my ‘18 T6: Lehman’s service department confirmed today that the Polestar was successfully installed. Sadly I have to wait a few more days to pick it up as it’s been sent off to the body shop to for some minor fixes. Getting excited!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I picked up the '18 S90 T6 last night in a severe thunderstorm and didn't get to sufficiently test the new Polestar mode until today. We were running errands most of the day, with the car in use for several hours in comfort mode. I filled with 93 and kept things mellow in the 90f+ temperatures. I finally put in P* mode on the highway. At one point I punched it up to about 85 while overtaking some cars and immediately both the orange [check] Engine light appeared along with the Turtle and a message about Reduced Engine Performance. 😥

Any thoughts here? I have to admit in the small amount of time I had P* activated I'm not noticing a significant performance bump with the upgrade like I did with my '18 V60 CC. That has a very noticeable boost in mid-range torque in both standard and Sport modes.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Wow, that is very strange, the check engine light and turtle sign! Did the turtle go away after restarting the engine?

You are right, the improvement bump is not very significant, your butt dyno can probably feel some improvement but nothing very dramatic...it should shift faster and more accurately now though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wow, that is very strange, the check engine light and turtle sign! Did the turtle go away after restarting the engine?
Turtle and CE went away after only 15 seconds or so. It sounds a lot like the same experience a number of folks had documented years ago on this forum under a turtle thread re: their MY18 90s.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts