SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up this S90L CPO and love it so far... but I was really hoping to ad some P* torque. Unfortunately, it appears that, while every service tech and parts desk person I talk to feels it should be upgradable, it somehow isn't. Everyone seems to feel it's a parts list oversight, but there's nothing they can do. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Reactions: JakeInPA

·
Registered
50 Posts
iirc in US all S90s after MY2018 are S90Ls
That's correct. In 2017, Volvo made the shorter S90 for the US market and the longer S90 for other markets. Starting in 2018, they changed over to producing the longer version of the S90 exclusively. Personally I wish they hadn't done this but that's a big part of the reason I bought a 2017 S90 rather than a newer one. I didn't want the extra vehicle length and to me the extra room in the back seat wasn't needed for my purposes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got this reply from Volvo USA yesterday. I'm still hoping for more of an explanation as they basically just circled back to the original "it's not on the list" answer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Something strange is going on here. My local dealer has links to Volvo Polestar upgrades and I pulled up the attached document that clearly states that there is a Polestar upgrade for the 2018 S90 T6. The original poster keeps referring to their vehicle as a S90L. I am wondering if that is confusing the people at his dealer and at Volvo USA. Starting in 2018, the S90 was only built in the longer configuration for the US market, but I wouldn't call it an S90L. It is simply an S90 and according to Volvo's own product information, the Polestar upgrade is available for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something strange is going on here. My local dealer has links to Volvo Polestar upgrades and I pulled up the attached document that clearly states that there is a Polestar upgrade for the 2018 S90 T6. The original poster keeps referring to their vehicle as a S90L. I am wondering if that is confusing the people at his dealer and at Volvo USA. Starting in 2018, the S90 was only built in the longer configuration for the US market, but I wouldn't call it an S90L. It is simply an S90 and according to Volvo's own product information, the Polestar upgrade is available for it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
JakeInPA - I pulled up a couple of 2018 S90 VINs that are for sale and put them in and did receive the same message that you are receiving. However, I still say that this makes absolutely no sense. The Polestar software upgrade is available for my 2017 S90 and the T6 engine is the exact same one that is in the 2018. The fact that the 2018 vehicle is a few inches longer shouldn't have anything to do with whether a software upgrade is available for the engine in the vehicle. I can't say with absolute certainty, but I'm pretty sure that there is a problem in the software that is driving Volvo USA's Polestar page.

In my opinion, you should see if you can identify a couple of members of this site with 2018 S90's that have gotten the Polestar upgrade and see if they would be willing to provide you with their VIN numbers. Then provide Volvo USA with those VIN numbers so that they can hopefully research the issue.

·
Registered
634 Posts
There are other alternatives to get more power from the car...downside to most of them is that transmission remains the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are other alternatives to get more power from the car...downside to most of them is that transmission remains the same.
I’m mostly interested in the torque bump, shifting, maintain the “drive modes,” and most importantly not damaging the remaining 7+ years of unlimited mileage warranty. This is my wife’s daily driver so I don’t expect her to pull an OBD accessory on the side of the road if she winds up needing a tow.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
This is really strange. I wonder why the MY18 S90 T6 does not have the Polestar option. I have an MY18 V90CC T6 and got it installed at the dealership when buying. Of course, V90CC and S90 are not the same exact vehicles, but it makes me wonder what exactly would the difference be. Maybe @Tech can chime in and educate us all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is really strange. I wonder why the MY18 S90 T6 does not have the Polestar option. I have an MY18 V90CC T6 and got it installed at the dealership when buying. Of course, V90CC and S90 are not the same exact vehicles, but it makes me wonder what exactly would the difference be. Maybe @Tech can chime in and educate us all.
Where was your S90 assembled?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
@JakeInPA - Maybe try a different dealership? I understand you already contacted Volvo but wouldn't hurt to just call up a nearby dealership, tell them you have an MY18 S90 T6 and want to get the Polestar optimization installed. Don't mention anything about it being an L model or the talk you've had with the other dealership. Worth a shot, IMO.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
Where was your S90 assembled?
I have an MY18 V90CC T6, not an S90. Assembled in Torslanda, Sweden. I do not think the country of assembly or maybe even the MY makes any difference (unless you're talking about the T8s). Hope you get the P* installed in your S90. I hope it's just miscommunication between the dealership and yourself and nothing more.

EDIT: This shows up when I google "Polestar Optimization 2018 S90 T6". Official Polestar US page.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
What is the country of origin on that vehicle?
All MY18+ S90s available in the US (the Long wheelbase versions) are made in China. Tech is also based in the US so the S90 he has hooked up will be from the same mfg plant yours is.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts