SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to change the front Rotors and Pads. While I don't want to get the Volvo ones, I also don't want to spend crazy money on performance rotors or pads.

What are my options? I looked at the usual sites and can only find Zimmerman Rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. Is this really the only options we have?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I'm new to the Volvo world so i apologize. What's the reason for avoiding oem? Other than cost?

Don't get me wrong, i haven't used oem brake components in my 4runner in 14 years as aftermarket was way better.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I cannot speak to the Zimmerman rotors as I've always run stock rotors on my BMWs and Volvos. But I've used Akebono ceramic on both. The reduced brake dust is amazing. The only performance difference I see is they have less initial bite than the stock BMW pads. Adjustment was easy, it only took a few applications to get used to it. V90CC hasn't needed either yet but Akebono WILL be the replacement pad choice.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've been using crossed drilled rotors since the 90s. Stoptech makes good rotors that work well and last at a very reasonable price. Replacement for your OEMs costs only 30-40% more.

My front rotors got replaced under warranty at 17k miles (don't know the reason, previous owner) and my rear pads are about to go. Dealer said I needed to replace pads and ROTORs at the same time...I find that hard to believe. This weekend I'm going to check the thickness of the rotor and make a decision. If I have to, indeed, replace the rotors, I'm going to do all around rotors with Stoptech.

This is the link for your S90 at CarID, check them out: https://www.carid.com/2018-volvo-s90-brakes/

BTW, Zimmerman makes good products, if I remember correctly, they are the ones that make BMW's OEM rotors.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm new to the Volvo world so i apologize. What's the reason for avoiding oem? Other than cost?

Don't get me wrong, i haven't used oem brake components in my 4runner in 14 years as aftermarket was way better.

They seem to warp much faster than I have ever experienced on any car. By 10,000 miles, I was feeling a shimmy and now it's very noticeable. Searching the forums, there is a definite theme that while the OEM rotors and pads are very quiet, they are not handling the heat very well (and tend to warp).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using crossed drilled rotors since the 90s. Stoptech makes good rotors that work well and last at a very reasonable price. Replacement for your OEMs costs only 30-40% more.

My front rotors got replaced under warranty at 17k miles (don't know the reason, previous owner) and my rear pads are about to go. Dealer said I needed to replace pads and ROTORs at the same time...I find that hard to believe. This weekend I'm going to check the thickness of the rotor and make a decision. If I have to, indeed, replace the rotors, I'm going to do all around rotors with Stoptech.

This is the link for your S90 at CarID, check them out: https://www.carid.com/2018-volvo-s90-brakes/

BTW, Zimmerman makes good products, if I remember correctly, they are the ones that make BMW's OEM rotors.
Interesting, I somehow missed that page. I'll definitely check it out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
They seem to warp much faster than I have ever experienced on any car. By 10,000 miles, I was feeling a shimmy and now it's very noticeable. Searching the forums, there is a definite theme that while the OEM rotors and pads are very quiet, they are not handling the heat very well (and tend to warp).
Yea I've had my rotors replaced twice now for warping. First sign of any shimmy I take it in and the dealer replaces pads and rotors, not a bad deal but it sucks. Once they stop offering it for free then I'm going aftermarket

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yea I've had my rotors replaced twice now for warping. First sign of any shimmy I take it in and the dealer replaces pads and rotors, not a bad deal but it sucks. Once they stop offering it for free then I'm going aftermarket

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
My service dept said that only the rotors were replaced when they did my car. It may have been because it had 2K Miles on it. I now have over 5K miles and so far so good.

·
Registered
902 Posts
There is not much choices for s90 2018 compare for s60 2017 and older. i had to get original once for the car since there were cheaper than other choices i found

·
Registered
634 Posts
With 25k miles on the odometer, my dealer said my rear pads have little life on them, he recommended changing them within 3K miles along with the rotors! He states adaptive cruise control uses the rears to control speed and that explains the wear, which to him is normal.

He claims the rotors wear to the pace of one set of pads and one set of rotors at the same time. I've hears other manufacturers claim the same. When I had the E55 AMG, they used to say every second set of pads rotors needed to be replaced (I found that to be true for that specific car).

Yesterday, I took measurements of the rear rotors, while I don't remember the thickness, I do remember they had worn out very little, in fact, it was not even 1mm. So, I decided that I'll just replace the pads. It has also been my experience that you don't need to turn the rotors when you change pads...yes, I know every dealer and mechanic recommends turning the rotors but if you take your time to ease them into your rotors, the pads will work just fine without warping your rotors of getting vibrations (as long as you didn't have vibrations before). I've been doing this method for the past 20 years successfully, so I'm confident of good results.

I share this in case others have heard the same from their dealers claiming you need to change rotors that are not wrapped or damaged by worn out pads...check the thickness of your rotors. If 1mm or 2mm wear, consider just changing pads.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
With 25k miles on the odometer, my dealer said my rear pads have little life on them, he recommended changing them within 3K miles along with the rotors! He states adaptive cruise control uses the rears to control speed and that explains the wear, which to him is normal.

He claims the rotors wear to the pace of one set of pads and one set of rotors at the same time. I've hears other manufacturers claim the same. When I had the E55 AMG, they used to say every second set of pads rotors needed to be replaced (I found that to be true for that specific car).

Yesterday, I took measurements of the rear rotors, while I don't remember the thickness, I do remember they had worn out very little, in fact, it was not even 1mm. So, I decided that I'll just replace the pads. It has also been my experience that you don't need to turn the rotors when you change pads...yes, I know every dealer and mechanic recommends turning the rotors but if you take your time to ease them into your rotors, the pads will work just fine without warping your rotors of getting vibrations (as long as you didn't have vibrations before). I've been doing this method for the past 20 years successfully, so I'm confident of good results.

I share this in case others have heard the same from their dealers claiming you need to change rotors that are not wrapped or damaged by worn out pads...check the thickness of your rotors. If 1mm or 2mm wear, consider just changing pads.
Did you measure them with a micrometer? Interested because I am not far from a rear pad change on my XC60.

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
It has also been my experience that you don't need to turn the rotors when you change pads...yes, I know every dealer and mechanic recommends turning the rotors but if you take your time to ease them into your rotors, the pads will work just fine without warping your rotors of getting vibrations (as long as you didn't have vibrations before). I've been doing this method for the past 20 years successfully, so I'm confident of good results.
I've been doing this forever. Fun fact: when the pads set into the existing gouges, swept area is actually increased (over a new flat rotor).

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm glad to read I'm not the only one doing it. Not many people agree, much less do it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2018 S90 T6 just developed brake warping/shimming at 10K miles. So I just booked an appointment to get it looked at, hopefully they will just replace them with no contest.

I drive about 8K miles/year and for it "eat through brakes" like this is not very aspiring.

I'm glad I only have 5 more payments on the lease but will gladly remain in the Volvo stable.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

I kind of wonder this too.

I used to use aftermarket brake parts but I found that inevitably they would start squealing or dusting too much.

The laser cut OE pads usually just work, rarely squeal and tend to be pretty good on dust. (I haven't bought S90 pass yet though, so I can't say for sure this applies to them.)

I'm kind of amazed you have gone through the brakes so fast on a 2018 car though. I have found that modern brakes last MICH longer than in the past. My old rule of thumb was to do the pads once a year. My last set I replaced on my old S80 I just got rid of lasted from ~2014 to ~2018 during a period of time I was putting 35k miles a year on it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Been a long time since I've posted here but having this same issue. Local place that is reputable said that the rotors need changing too based on his experience and after perusing the forums I see that's the case. I'm going to go all out and buy stoptech, just need to find pads that will perform well also. I saw someone mention EBC Redstuff in another brake thread, going to look around some more though. So ridiculous that a car would need rotors replaced under 40K miles...I believe I'm just over 30K (wife's car). StopTechs should be more than sufficient.

Very thankful to have this forum by the way! It's very efficient and convenient in a pinch when needing specific info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My outcome was to get all four OEM rotors replaced courtesy of Volvo. They also updated my Sensus software and the gas tank neck filler since it gave an evaporation leak check engine light.

Regarding the brakes supposedly the dealer started by replacing just the front rotors but the pulsing was still present upon retesting so they ended up replacing the rears as well. The dealer did tell me two things 1) say there is still plenty of life on the pads and 2) that I'm not the first S90 customer with them to have required to have rotors replaced at such low miles due to warping. So to me it sounds like these specific rotors might be a problematic part.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My outcome was to get all four OEM rotors replaced courtesy of Volvo. They also updated my Sensus software and the gas tank neck filler since it gave an evaporation leak check engine light.

Regarding the brakes supposedly the dealer started by replacing just the front rotors but the pulsing was still present upon retesting so they ended up replacing the rears as well. The dealer did tell me two things 1) say there is still plenty of life on the pads and 2) that I'm not the first S90 customer with them to have required to have rotors replaced at such low miles due to warping. So to me it sounds like these specific rotors might be a problematic part.
I figured I had a rock stuck on the caliper grinding on the rotor, this has happened before on my car as the recent pave job on the street is tar and rocks. Turns out...pad is just down to the metal on front passenger side. Bought stoptech rotors and porterfield pads just now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
When Volvo replaces these rotors under warranty are they simply replacing them with the same rotors or is there an updated/upgraded part? I'm considering a 2017-2018 s90/v90 as my first Volvo but this is definitely a potential deterrent if it means that these rotors are just going to continue to warp at such low mileage intervals

1 - 20 of 37 Posts