SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Newbie here. The wife and I purchased a 2018 S60 T5 Inscription 4WD with approximately 25K miles on it. The car is in excellent condition with all the required service records etc. When accelerating from a dead stop the car seems to shift two or three times before it smooths out. When I took it on the test drive from the Volvo dealership the salesperson said it was "turbo lag" and was normal. I've never driven a car that did this so we took her word for it.

The factory warranty is still in effect until the beginning of February 2022. Can anyone confirm this is a normal condition of the car ? I don't know enough to say it's the transmission or in fact the turbo. We plan to try to get the car into a highly rated local Volvo repair shop in the next couple of weeks to have them look the car over and get their opinion on if anything should be addressed before the factory warranty from Volvo expires.
Thank you.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Hello. Newbie here. The wife and I purchased a 2018 S60 T5 Inscription 4WD with approximately 25K miles on it. The car is in excellent condition with all the required service records etc. When accelerating from a dead stop the car seems to shift two or three times before it smooths out. When I took it on the test drive from the Volvo dealership the salesperson said it was "turbo lag" and was normal. I've never driven a car that did this so we took her word for it.

The factory warranty is still in effect until the beginning of February 2022. Can anyone confirm this is a normal condition of the car ? I don't know enough to say it's the transmission or in fact the turbo. We plan to try to get the car into a highly rated local Volvo repair shop in the next couple of weeks to have them look the car over and get their opinion on if anything should be addressed before the factory warranty from Volvo expires.
Thank you.
Are you "Flooring the gas Pedal" or accelerating at a reasonable pace? If flooring it, then I imagine the car can shift really quickly before smoothing out. If accelerating normally, then I would have a tech from the highly rated dealer drive the car with you and "explain how to replicate the problem". So the both of you can see and feel it happening. This way the tech can determine if there's an abnormality / problem at hand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you "Flooring the gas Pedal" or accelerating at a reasonable pace? If flooring it, then I imagine the car can shift really quickly before smoothing out. If accelerating normally, then I would have a tech from the highly rated dealer drive the car with you and "explain how to replicate the problem". So the both of you can see and feel it happening. This way the tech can determine if there's an abnormality / problem at hand.
Its a slow normal acceleration. This is a normal condition with the car. Its not a does it when it feels like doing it condition. I dont worry about speed. I am about fuel mileage.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Are you in ECO mode? (Assuming your S60 is the 2010-2018 generation and not the newer SPA model that came out in 2018.) If so, the car might be trying to short-shift to make better fuel economy numbers?

I know the Aisin transmissions in the P3 Volvos are supposed to be pretty durable, especially the 8-speed, which is also used by Toyota and Lexus products. Try driving the car in sport mode (moving the shifter to the left of D) and seeing what happens.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If its anything like the 8 speed transmissions in my Camry or the 9 speed in my Traverse its trying to keep the RPM’s as low as possible to get better fuel economy, so it goes through the gears really quickly. If it has a Sport mode try that and see if it changes, also see if there is an Eco button you can turn off to see if that changes it as well. Its not turbo lag

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
184 Posts
If its anything like the 8 speed transmissions in my Camry or the 9 speed in my Traverse its trying to keep the RPM’s as low as possible to get better fuel economy, so it goes through the gears really quickly. If it has a Sport mode try that and see if it changes, also see if there is an Eco button you can turn off to see if that changes it as well. Its not turbo lag
You and I seem to be on the same wavelength! (From your signature, your S60 sounds like a beauty.) Maybe the 8 speed (Aisin) in your Camry is the same or similar to the one in the Volvo?

I second everything that @s6013t5 is saying. Try driving the car in a more aggressive manner if you get the chance. I know that these transmissions 'learn' the habits of the driver, so if you are always driving to maximize your fuel economy, the car will default to a very lazy transmission shift pattern - sort of how you lose muscles when you stop exercising for a while. My friend drives her 2013 S60 (6 speed automatic) like a bat out of hell and the transmission seems to have adapted to her style in the last ~10,000 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your responses. The wife drives it the majority of the time. She seems to agree about it possibly being in ECO mode perhaps and will verify it next time she's out. Is it safe to assume that this isn't a turbo issue (as stated by the new salesperson) at all and is simply the transmission functioning as advertised ? As previously mentioned, we're both more about mileage and not speed but could it possibly cause premature transmission wear as well ? Thank you

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. The wife drives it the majority of the time. She seems to agree about it possibly being in ECO mode perhaps and will verify it next time she's out. Is it safe to assume that this isn't a turbo issue (as stated by the new salesperson) at all and is the transmission functioning as advertised ? As previously mentioned, we're both more about mileage and not speed but could it possibly cause premature transmission wear as well ? Thank you
It should not cause premature wear, but it is important to 'exercise' your car a little, every so often. Your car is most likely not broken, but would stand to benefit from a little change of pace.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. The wife drives it the majority of the time. She seems to agree about it possibly being in ECO mode perhaps and will verify it next time she's out. Is it safe to assume that this isn't a turbo issue (as stated by the new salesperson) at all and is simply the transmission functioning as advertised ? As previously mentioned, we're both more about mileage and not speed but could it possibly cause premature transmission wear as well ? Thank you
ECO mode lowers the RPM's to save on fuel economy. So when you shift from one gear to the next, it often feels lagged and underpowered.

I only use ECO mode when on the Highway with Cruise Control Set. Otherwise, I suggest disabling it because it makes the car feel like an underpowered tank trying to get started from a dead stop using a 4 cylinder engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ECO mode lowers the RPM's to save on fuel economy. So when you shift from one gear to the next, it often feels lagged and underpowered.

I only use ECO mode when on the Highway with Cruise Control Set. Otherwise, I suggest disabling it because it makes the car feel like an underpowered tank trying to get started from a dead stop using a 4 cylinder engine.
I drive with a little bit more pedal than the wife does. I agree 100% about the "Feels like an underpowered tank trying to get started". I'm just not used to it perhaps. The wife is fine with it but she will check the ECO setting. Hell, we had a hard time just trying to figure out how to reset the trip meter. The car is a little to fancy for me but apparently most new cars come with all these types of bells and whistles.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
You and I seem to be on the same wavelength! (From your signature, your S60 sounds like a beauty.) Maybe the 8 speed (Aisin) in your Camry is the same or similar to the one in the Volvo?

I second everything that @s6013t5 is saying. Try driving the car in a more aggressive manner if you get the chance. I know that these transmissions 'learn' the habits of the driver, so if you are always driving to maximize your fuel economy, the car will default to a very lazy transmission shift pattern - sort of how you lose muscles when you stop exercising for a while. My friend drives her 2013 S60 (6 speed automatic) like a bat out of hell and the transmission seems to have adapted to her style in the last ~10,000 miles.
Thank you! Its 150,000+ at this point, I need to change my sig. We actually posted at the same time lol. Great point about the transmission adapting. We had a horrible 3-2 downshift, and when the adaptives were reset it took a week to learn our style but the bad shift was gone. I can check the Camrys transmission, but I cannot drive it in Eco, its like the slow tank referenced here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! Its 150,000+ at this point but I cant figure out how to change that on mobile. We actually posted at the same time lol. Great point about the transmission adapting. We had a horrible 3-2 downshift, and when the adaptives were reset it took a week to learn our style but the bad shift was gone.
What are the "Adaptives" you're referring to and how does someone go about resetting them ? I also see you have a 2017 370Z. I almost prefer my 1973 240Z to the Volvo depending on where we're going.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
What are the "Adaptives" you're referring to and how does someone go about resetting them ? I also see you have a 2017 370Z. I almost prefer my 1973 240Z to the Volvo depending on where we're going.
Any shop with VIDA can reset the transmission adaptives, which is basically what it uses to adapt to your driving style and the age of the trans fluid. Ours have only been reset during fluid exchanges, but I think some others with harsh shifting had them reset outside of the fluid exchange, I would confirm with the shop first. Give it time to learn your style before going this route.

No longer have the Z, was a lease just for fun, but I do miss it! Your Z is beautiful!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any shop with VIDA can reset the transmission adaptives, which is basically what it uses to adapt to your driving style and the age of the trans fluid. Ours have only been reset during fluid exchanges, but I think some others with harsh shifting had them reset outside of the fluid exchange, I would confirm with the shop first. Give it time to learn your style before going this route.

No longer have the Z, was a lease just for fun, but I do miss it! Your Z is beautiful!
Ok thanks. We purchased the car in September of 21 with 23K on the clock. We haven't even put 1K on it yet. I just don't want a problem popping up before the factory warranty expires if we can prevent it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I drive with a little bit more pedal than the wife does. I agree 100% about the "Feels like an underpowered tank trying to get started". I'm just not used to it perhaps. The wife is fine with it but she will check the ECO setting. Hell, we had a hard time just trying to figure out how to reset the trip meter. The car is a little to fancy for me but apparently most new cars come with all these types of bells and whistles.
Look for the little ECO button near the bottom of the center stack. Not sure if that is the default setting for the car, but it is definitely not something I could stand to use.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thank you! Its 150,000+ at this point, I need to change my sig. We actually posted at the same time lol. Great point about the transmission adapting. We had a horrible 3-2 downshift, and when the adaptives were reset it took a week to learn our style but the bad shift was gone. I can check the Camrys transmission, but I cannot drive it in Eco, its like the slow tank referenced here.
Do you have a picture of your S60 by any chance? Njords and beechwood on a Caspian Blue S60 sounds like a unicorn combo.

Reactions: msmith

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Look for the little ECO button near the bottom of the center stack. Not sure if that is the default setting for the car, but it is definitely not something I could stand to use.
Is there a difference between ECO & ECO Coast ? I found this page and I'm not sure I fully understand what they are saying.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Do you have a picture of your S60 by any chance? Njords and beechwood on a Caspian Blue S60 sounds like a unicorn combo.
Not on this phone and its raining so cant get a good pic. Its the best color combo IMO, the copper with black interior is just as good too. I would love to know how many blue/beechwoods were made. I have never seen another, even when I lived in Volvo country

·
Registered
724 Posts
You need to manually put the car into ECO mode, it doesn't default to that so i'd say that's fairly unlikely

I'm actually not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that the gears slur between each other for the initial 3 gears and then start exhibiting normal shifts? Does it feel like a CVT for awhile?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You need to manually put the car into ECO mode, it doesn't default to that so i'd say that's fairly unlikely

I'm actually not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that the gears slur between each other for the initial 3 gears and then start exhibiting normal shifts? Does it feel like a CVT for awhile?
I don't know what a CVT is. There is also no gear slurring. The issue we are experiencing is what seems like several unnecessary shifts (3 in a fairly short time) from the transmission before it stops shifting and acts like most cars. When we purchased the car a few months ago I asked the salesperson about it and they told us it was just a turbo lag and figured that was it. From some of the replies here it sounds like it has nothing to do with the turbo.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts