SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Started a month ago, always noticed extra moisture inside after rain. Then one day we say water droplets on the left side of the trunk.

Brought to dealership, and mentioned that this is probably a known issue, asking them to check TSB. Rebuffed, saying there's no known issue. Diagnostic report simply stated that "SunRoof Seal (New Style)" needed -- wonder why it's called "New Style" now. And they quoted me $1474.39 for everything (Edison NJ). The guy won't even show me what's wrong.

So I brought the car to another shop for another diagnose. This time the mechanics was very responsible, he carefully examined the sunroof, and pointed to me 3 places:

The two big holes on the seal, this is the driver side hole:

Passenger side hole:

He explained that the rubber seals were supposed to "hook up" to each other at those joints. However over times, and mostly due to the bad quality, those seals shrunk, hence pull apart the connection, and left with those big holes. Of course big holes doesn't mean it's going to leak, but it opens the channel for debris, dirt, bugs to get in there. My rear left drain tube got clogged very likely due to this.

Also he pointed to me that the rear side seal of the top panel was dangling there:

He said he never saw a sunroof seal of only 3-years be in such a bad shape. Provided that we seldom use the sunroof at all (maybe once or twice per year), this can be attributed to nothing but Volvo's bad craftsmanship.

Thanks to those previous posts and discussion, guess I'll contact Volvo Customer Service, and have a case open. The standard warranty ran out a year ago due to high mileage. I'll have to plea to their bleeding heart. Finger crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Argh that's rough, good luck.

Can someone with a 2018/19/20 post pictures of their sunroof too?

My 2017 also has these gaps, but I poured water into them and it came out through the wheel wells (all 4). I assume this is behaving as it's supposed to, but curious if others don't have gaps.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
There is also a TJ for those gaps. But that alone won't cause a leak. That strip is for wind noise.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
There is also a TJ for those gaps. But that alone won't cause a leak. That strip is for wind noise.
What's a TJ?

Oh nevermind... it's Tech Journal. So what does the Tech Journal say about it? I've had that gap since the car was new. Thanks in advance!
It says to replace the seal and glue the ends. And if the customer has a water leak, fault trace accordingly because it isn't caused by the gap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here are some pics from V90 CC MY 2018

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 2016 had sunroof issues with a bad scratchy motor and shade but no leaks. We do however have those large gaps and use the sunroof frequently with no leaks still. Sunroof is a weak spot on xcs I guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts