SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm purchasing an XC90 which has Air Suspension, a feature I did not care for. I understand that the cost to maintain is higher as compared to coil suspension, so I was curious as to whether converting from air suspension (when comes the time) to coil makes more economical sense in the long run. Anyone cross this bridge yet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm purchasing an XC90 which has Air Suspension, a feature I did not care for. I understand that the cost to maintain is higher as compared to coil suspension, so I was curious as to whether converting from air suspension (when comes the time) to coil makes more economical sense in the long run. Anyone cross this bridge yet?
No, it doesn't make sense. The air suspension ride is better unless you're looking for a stiffer ride. The failure rate doesn't seem abnormally high based on the forum, either, unlike something like a Jeep GC. Air suspensions nowadays aren't unreliable like they were in the 90s (or 2019 if you count Jeep GCs). A coil conversion is going to cost you a good bit of money, for a worse ride and more potential problems related to the swap. I went out of my way to look for a 4C air suspension T8, you should be happy, they are hard to come by!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
Rear suspension is not a coil over strut but a leaf spring. Not sure this can be converted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Rear suspension is not a coil over strut but a leaf spring. Not sure this can be converted.
This. Non-Air Suspension equipped cars have a completely different rear suspension with one large leaf spring.
Best to avoid a Air Spring car if you don't like a floating feeling suspension. Its a disconnect for me. I've already seen plenty of compressor issues and within a few years the bladders on the air springs will leak when they dry rot and you will be buying new springs. It happens on all air ride vehicles, springs, compressors, valve units all go bad and usually without warning. Attempting to convert will give you nothing but Christmas Lights in your dash as well. Possible down the road there could be a company that will make a conversion kit like I've installed in a few Mercedes Benz S-Class but Volvo is very small market and of those XC90s sold with Air Susp is an even tinier slice. I see very few of these and work in one of the busiest Volvo shops in the Southeast.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
www.tascaparts.com

Price out the parts. My guess is you’d need anything with a part number that’s different from the air suspension to non air suspension.

The labor would be a crapshoot but you may find an indy willing to take it on. Unless of course you were considering doing yourself, I can’t imagine it being too difficult if you have some experience with suspension work.

Then you’d need a dealer to reprogram the computer.

I can’t imagine needing to do it anytime soon on these vehicles but I do expect to see this type of conversion as they approach the ten year mark, I plan on keeping mine close to that long so I specifically avoided the air suspension. I’m use to how Volvos ride and I’m fine with it.

Good luck with your endeavor, please keep us posted. :beer:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This. Non-Air Suspension equipped cars have a completely different rear suspension with one large leaf spring.
Best to avoid a Air Spring car if you don't like a floating feeling suspension. Its a disconnect for me. I've already seen plenty of compressor issues and within a few years the bladders on the air springs will leak when they dry rot and you will be buying new springs. It happens on all air ride vehicles, springs, compressors, valve units all go bad and usually without warning. Attempting to convert will give you nothing but Christmas Lights in your dash as well. Possible down the road there could be a company that will make a conversion kit like I've installed in a few Mercedes Benz S-Class but Volvo is very small market and of those XC90s sold with Air Susp is an even tinier slice. I see very few of these and work in one of the busiest Volvo shops in the Southeast.
You guys must be having a different airsuspension to mine!

There's nothing floaty about mine. I feel every bump and it's painful going over humps at speeds over 45km/h, unlike what I see and wish I had, in landrovers and landcruisers

In any even, airsuspension is configurable in Volvo through individual mode. If you want it harder, dynamic/ power susoension settings in individual mode might offer you that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
No, it doesn't make sense. The air suspension ride is better unless you're looking for a stiffer ride. The failure rate doesn't seem abnormally high based on the forum, either, unlike something like a Jeep GC. Air suspensions nowadays aren't unreliable like they were in the 90s (or 2019 if you count Jeep GCs). A coil conversion is going to cost you a good bit of money, for a worse ride and more potential problems related to the swap. I went out of my way to look for a 4C air suspension T8, you should be happy, they are hard to come by!
+1. To OP, why buy a vehicle with air suspension if you do not want it?

A suggestion is to see if the MY16 has had the pressure tank and/or compressor replaced under warranty with the updated model. If yes, buy it be happy as it is. If no, then see about getting replaced as part of the sale or skip it altogether considering you don’t want it. Any optional feature has additional maintenance risks and associated costs.

IMO... Whether one CAN do it, is one thing. Whether one should do it is quite another. The risks will be a rabbit hole of costs, issues, resale, maybe warranty if extended, et al.

My wife and I were driving a loaner XC90 T6 with no air the other day. My wife, who rarely talks about any car, shared that the ride is simply to firm. Really glad we have air suspension with our MY16 T8. We will downgrade elsewhere before skipping Air suspension but we are not into a firm suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Then you’d need a dealer to reprogram the computer.
I don't think we can reprogram it to delete air suspension.

Aside from the compressors blowing fuses (which there is a TJ for) and early front struts rattling (also has a TJ), I haven't seen any other issues with the air suspension yet. But they aren't that old yet either.

If you don't want air suspension, don't buy a car with air suspension.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You guys must be having a different airsuspension to mine!

There's nothing floaty about mine. I feel every bump and it's painful going over humps at speeds over 45km/h, unlike what I see and wish I had, in landrovers and landcruisers

In any even, airsuspension is configurable in Volvo through individual mode. If you want it harder, dynamic/ power susoension settings in individual mode might offer you that

Same. Not soft enough for me. Here in the Midwest our roads are beat due to the winter/salting. My little Prius C hatchback was a softer ride on Seattle's roads (better roads, obviously).

Depends on the wheel size you go with, too. I remember test driving with the air suspension on a smaller set of wheels and it was noticeably softer.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Same. Not soft enough for me.

Depends on the wheel size you go with, too. I remember test driving with the air suspension on a smaller set of wheels and it was noticeably softer.
Mine are standard Inscription 20inch wheels with Michelins, and I don't think T8 came with anything smaller. Besides, anything smaller wouldn't have looked nice

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Our XC90 rides on air and wears 19" wheels. We find it a perfect match for comfort.
We also don't find it looking bad. Of course this is just a (2)personal opinion

·
Registered
151 Posts
This seems like spreading FUD to me. At least one and sometimes two of my vehicles for the last 8 years have had air suspension. Other than infant mortality of the compressors, covered by warrantee, there have been no issues.

On the Volvo, I've got 21" wheels and feel like the ride is about right for me in the various modes.

I haven't felt "floaty" suspension yet. If someone were to tell me that their air suspension felt "floaty" I'd ask what tire pressures they're running and have the shocks inspected.

·
Registered
22 Posts
air suspension

nearing 60000 miles on 2016 inscription with air suspension. Love the ride vs coil. No issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had it on my 2016.... which I just got rid of with 124,000 miles. NO issues.
Have it on my 2019.... has 25K mile3s.. NO issues.

Great ride, but like that it lowers for me to easily get in and out and most importantly, load and unload the back end which I do many times a day. In fact, without it, my back end door would hit my garage door! Wouldn't get another car without it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts