SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am somewhat begrudgingly selling my 2008 S80 T6 to roll the funds into a S90 T6 Inscription. I can find all of the options that I want on either of the 2017 or 2018. The 2018 has more of them as standard equipment, specifically the pano sunroof. Though that option is not a deal breaker for me.

I understand that the 2017s were assembled in Sweden and the 2018s assembled in China and so was looking for some insight. Is this even something to consider?

The 2018s have a longer (4+ inches) wheelbase, but is there any other factors I should consider the 2018 over the 2017? Or vice versa? An extra year of factory warranty is one, for instance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I am somewhat begrudgingly selling my 2008 S80 T6 to roll the funds into a S90 T6 Inscription. I can find all of the options that I want on either of the 2017 or 2018. The 2018 has more of them as standard equipment, specifically the pano sunroof. Though that option is not a deal breaker for me.

I understand that the 2017s were assembled in Sweden and the 2018s assembled in China and so was looking for some insight. Is this even something to consider?

The 2018s have a longer (4+ inches) wheelbase, but is there any other factors I should consider the 2018 over the 2017? Or vice versa? An extra year of factory warranty is one, for instance.
For our tall family, the LWB of the 2018+ models was THE absolute selling point. It’s literally like a limo in the back. One could argue, if you don’t need the size, that the shorter wheelbase might be a bit easier to park/maneuver, but let’s not pretend in either case that these are sports sedans. Aside from that, the added standard content, the newer warranty, etc. would be reason enough to opt for the newer models.

p.s. We’ve owned both a 2018 and now a 2020 S90, and have not had any significant warranty or maintenance issues. I think the country of origin (assembly) is a non-issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I went thru this earlier this year and settled on a 2017 T6 Inscription. Here are my thoughts.

1. The LWB 2018 vs the SWB 2017 is primarily a personal decision. One is not better over the other, at least for the driver. I found that LWB a little too long when it came to parking in store lots and things, for me at least. The 2018 rear leg room is unmatched and very impressive. I came from a 2007 S80 and the SWB S90 still has more leg room than the S80.

2. Country of Origin is absolutely a non issue in terms of build quality and parts quality.

3. No USA market 2017s came with the pano roof. The 2017s have a standard sunroof that is a little over sized than normal.

4. If you are looking for heated rear seats I found more of the 2017s had them than the 2018s.

5. If you like a good audio system I would highly highly recommend one with the B&W system.

6. US market 2017s do not have a rear window sunshade, never offered even as an option.

7. I would highly recommend getting a CPO car which gives you an extra year on the bumper to bumper warranty and extends the mileage to unlimited, applies to both 2017 and 2018.

8. 2018s had a software upgrade which made the SENSUS boot up faster than the 2017s. Although not as fast as the 2019s that had a hardware upgrade as well). Check both out to see if you can live with the initial boot up lag on the 2017.

9. Drive both and see how they feel. Drive cars that have the 19" wheels and 20" wheels. They do make a difference in ride quality. My 07 S80 had the 18" wheels with tires that have a sidewall depth of 3.5". The 20" wheels on the S90 have even less sidewall depth, the 19" wheels have the same 3.5" side wall depth.

It is a good car that you will enjoy for many years to come.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I like the '17s myself. I do like that they were made in Sweden, though I've not seen any quality difference between the two. I like the proportions better, just as I liked the Dynamic better than Inscription for the older S60s... the difference is that in the S90 SWB you still have very nice leg room. Warranty time is certainly a factor, but it also depends how long you keep them. For example, if you are only keeping the car 3-4 years... adding 1 or 2 years to the 18 and 2 or 3 years to the 17 would really only be a few bucks difference. If you keep em forever, 10 years is 10 years, so the extra year matters more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone who replied. I tested both the 17 and the 18. Both are great cars. I really liked the ride on the 18.

Now to find just the right 2018 with all the options I am looking for in just the right color!

Though, I keep hearing that prices now are inflated and ought to come down in the near future. We will see!

On to the hunt!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to bring this full circle, I found a 2019 S90 T6 Inscription with all the bells and whistles.

4th Volvo found and acquired.

·
Registered
820 Posts

The 2018's also have a slightly more responsive touch panel display. Not the hugest of deals once you have the latest software installed, 2017 models are just a bit slow for the first few minutes after starting the car.

The 4" longer wheelbase doesn't sound like much, but when driving the car I felt like the 2018+ models felt like MUCH larger cars than the 2017's, which is why I actually spend some more time looking for a 2017 with very low miles instead of just buying the 2018.

Everyone's tastes and priorities are different though, so I would recommend driving them both.

I have some minor concerns when it comes to the Chinese and espionage, but the design is still owned by the Volvo subsidiary, and thus far they have been allowed to operate mostly independently, so it is a minor concern that they are manufactured in China. Almost all of our phones are manufactured in China, so if that were a deal breaker, we'd have to get rid of all of those :/

There are some cultural differences between China and Sweden, but thus far they don't seem to have greatly affected the build quality of the cars. They seem mostly equivalent from both production facilities.

One small difference I have noticed is that cars manufactured in 2017 seem to have the ability to close the radiator if driving in extreme cold. This radiator blocking contraption seems absent from models manufactured in China. I doubt this matters at all unless you are planning on driving in northern Canada or Alaska in the winter. I think it's more of a feature for north Scandinavian owners.

As with any first production year of any car brand, there will be some teething issues with the 2017. I've had my car in for warranty work for some of these, but it's not a big deal. The Dealership is great, I always get a loaner, and it is not really a problem if you ask me. Mostly small stuff, like right now one of my front parking sensors has gone crazy and constantly indicates that I am about to hit something. Not a deal breaker though. I have the car going in for service, and they'll take care of me. I'd rather have this than buy the longer model I don't want.

I don't know. Just some thoughts. I'm very happy with my 2017.

Word of advice. Whichever one you get, get the polestar software updgrade, and have the dealer roll it in with your purchase price. It doesn't look like much on paper, but it really transforms how the car drives.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Just to bring this full circle, I found a 2019 S90 T6 Inscription with all the bells and whistles.

Whoops. Didn't realize I was replying to an older thread!

Looks nice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went thru this earlier this year and settled on a 2017 T6 Inscription. Here are my thoughts.

2. Country of Origin is absolutely a non issue in terms of build quality and parts quality.
My issue is charging Apple prices for a Chinese assembled product.
Cost savings should be passed on to the consumer.

Nice.

I had the same 20" rims and can see all that brake dust at the impossible to clean gap just behind the spoke.
That annoyed me enough to change the rim and rubber band for tyres to something a more sensible.
Damn shame they never went with ceramic pads despite the huge rotor, brake contact surface (relative to vehicle type)

·
Registered
820 Posts
My issue is charging Apple prices for a Chinese assembled product.
Cost savings should be passed on to the consumer.
What you are referring to is cost-plus pricing, and is literally not how anyone other than custom job shops and contract research organizations set pricing these days.

The free market model invariably results in value based pricing, where the final price of a product is not related to its cost. Instead it is based solely upon what people are willing to pay for it. it is much more compatible with supply and demand curves, and is the economically preferred way to set prices.

In this model a manufacturers costs and their pricing are independent of each other. A product then only gets made if the pricing exceeds the costs to manufacture by an acceptable margin.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Do you mind sharing how much you paid for your 2019? I am currently looking at a few 2017 Inscriptions as my kids are getting older with their own cars so I don’t need a huge back seat any longer (coming from an A8L). CPO 2017s loaded are selling for mid/high $20s near me with 30/40K mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I got it for $40k including the 10yr/unlimited mi CPO, a new set of wheels, and a hat.
You joke about the hat... but try being a farmer... the equipment is a quarter million plus sometimes and you still just get a hat =-P

1 - 15 of 15 Posts