SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was out on errands and hoped in the car. Just as I turned it on, the tailgate automatically opened. I did not touch the tailgate button in the car, I did have my key with me but could not use it to reproduce this action, so hitting the hatch button does not cause the hatch to open with the car on. The door was unlocked as I just turned it on. I took it to my Volvo dealer right away and they couldn't find anything in the codes or anything mechanical going on. They have contacted Volvo USA about it. This has never happened before and I cannot reproduce it. Has anyone else had to problem? It's a worry because I usually have my dog in the back cargo area. Thanks.

UPDATE:
After three visits to the dealer to have tests on my car requested by Volvo Cars USA, no definitive answer could be found for this event. My dealership took this very seriously and did their best. We are in a wait and see if it happens again place but I think the issue had to do with carrying two keys together in my purse. On that particular day I felt something crunch between the door closing and my purse. I have been contacted along the way by Volvo Cars USA who noted that we are on a watch and see protocol.

This is my response to Volvo USA:

It's become clear to me that this dangerous event of my tailgate opening on its own is may be due to my valet key and my regular car key being pushed together in such a way that the signals scrambled and caused one of the key functions to act "on its own." My dealership described how this might happen but could not reproduce the action, although it could be one of those things that may only be reproducible one in a hundred times or one in a thousand times. I have since purchased a dog gate to add to my Volvo parts cargo grill setup and now my dog cannot fall out of the back cargo bay if the tailgate were to open unexpectedly again.

But here is my point. When I first raised the problem to the dealer and they spoke to all of you at Volvo Car USA, right away your technicians asked if I'd had two keys with me in my purse or pocket. I did have the two keys in my purse. The valet is so small that I've ALWAYS carried it in my purse with my regular key, mostly so I wouldn't lose it and have done so since purchasing my XC90 in 2017. TWO YEARS I've carried these two keys together and NEVER ONCE have I ever been told or read in any Volvo email or notice or manual that this might not be a good idea. It was simply a fluke that my tailgate opened without my dog in the car and while the car wasn't moving.

Quite honestly, I think Volvo Cars USA should let owners know that carrying the two keys together is not a good idea. My tailgate opening on its own could have ended in tragedy. I had NO IDEA that the two keys together could in any way interact with each other to do anything. I plan on posting this letter on the Swede Speed site along with my post about the problem.

I would like you to send me an acknowledgment that you have forwarded my comments to someone who can alert other owners to the fact that carrying two keys in your purse or pocket could result in unexpected action taken by the KEYS not the driver.

[PS: thanks to everyone who read or responded to this post.]

·
Registered
332 Posts
did you hear the beep that sounds when the tailgate opens? wondering if something passed under your bumper as you walked by with the key which may have activated foot operated tailgate opening. ive done it many times walking by the tailgate with a charge cord. but if you heard the beep when already in the car then it was activated by either key or car opening button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your reply. No, I did not hear the beep associated with manual activation of the tailgate. It just opened as I put my foot on the break and turned the starter knob. In my mind, both actions (car turning on and tailgate opening) happened simultaneously. I was in a parking lot and approached the driver's size door from the front. No one walked behind the car and it was in a busy parking lot, so I'm guessing there wasn't a small animal, but can't be sure. Volvo US asked the same questions! I'm taking it in to the dealer again today for further testing. Another question they asked was if I had two keys with me. I always carry my main key fob and the small sport key in my purse, so that answer is yes. I did have the most recent software update updated on the vehicle within less than a week of this happening, though I'm not presuming this is software related. I will report here on any outcomes with this issue.

·
Registered
332 Posts
trunk foot sensor would need a key within 3 feet of tailgate for that to be the problem so that can be ruled out. the key button is difficult to accidentally press, the dashboard one similar. app will unlock trunk but not open it. sounds like a mystery but the rear electronics module should save any faults

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently there are no errors logged. Again today they could not find anything wrong, even though everyone agrees it's a mystery. So the information goes to Volvo, who will look at everything and get back to my service reps hopefully next week. Again, if anyone has had a similar occurrence, it would be so helpful to hear about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts