SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any T8 owner here? I am having a strange noise when the car is running on electric motor. I have all the windows closed, in the past, if I stop at red light, and the gas engine is stopped, the car is absolutely silence, I could not hear any noise at all. started a few weeks ago, the car is no longer quiet any more. I could hear the fan noise while I am waiting for green light, even when the car is running (on electric), I could hear it.

Anyone has the same problem?

I bought the car because of the quietness, and the car is only 50K kilometers.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Any T8 owner here? I am having a strange noise when the car is running on electric motor. I have all the windows closed, in the past, if I stop at red light, and the gas engine is stopped, the car is absolutely silence, I could not hear any noise at all. started a few weeks ago, the car is no longer quiet any more. I could hear the fan noise while I am waiting for green light, even when the car is running (on electric), I could hear it.

Anyone has the same problem?

I bought the car because of the quietness, and the car is only 50K kilometers.

Thanks
What is the approximate outside air temperature when this occurs?

The fan may be cooling a hot battery. That is normal but frequency may be an issue.

When was the last time that your car’s software was updated by your dealer or service garage?

I would mention it to your dealer and explain it with the expectation that a Total Software Update May help to solve or mitigate the problem.

As I recall, in 2017 or 2018, my car started turning the fan on more often than normal. Then, there was some software updates (along with ERAD fixes), that the problem went away. Part of my issue was that the T8 was driving less on electric at normal temps with +50% battery in hybrid.

Anyway, a Total Software Update may fix it, or the Hybrid battery cooling fluid was hot and needed cooling. Since yours is a MY17, I trust that you have had some ERAD maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
As for the ERAD issues, very specific cars were involved. Mine was not. I have not noticed any difference in how often the fan comes on. I notice it when I either enter the garage after drying briskly, or when I pull into the garage and plug in the charger. The fan is set to come on at certain temperatures to insure the battery is protected. I always have the B&W playing so would not hear the fan. Depending on how you are driving and the temperature outside along with humidity could impact how often the fan comes on. I would either not worry about it or make an appointment with your local dealer. I assume you are not getting any warnings on Sensus that you are overheating in anyway? I suspect it is not an issue. But keep us informed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check to see that you have not inadvertently turned the seat ventilation fan(s) to high.....I find they can be quite noisy when the A/C system is off.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Is the fan noise from inside or outside? Roll down window for a second and you can tell.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the approximate outside air temperature when this occurs?
Around 26 - 29 C degree

When was the last time that your car’s software was updated by your dealer or service garage?
Maybe earlier this year, don't remember

I would mention it to your dealer and explain it with the expectation that a Total Software Update May help to solve or mitigate the problem.
Scheduled maintenance with my dealer next Tues

As I recall, in 2017 or 2018, my car started turning the fan on more often than normal. Then, there was some software updates (along with ERAD fixes), that the problem went away. Part of my issue was that the T8 was driving less on electric at normal temps with +50% battery in hybrid.

Anyway, a Total Software Update may fix it, or the Hybrid battery cooling fluid was hot and needed cooling. Since yours is a MY17, I trust that you have had some ERAD maintenance.
Hopefully this will solve the issue.

My worries is it it is some hardware issue..

Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As for the ERAD issues, very specific cars were involved. Mine was not. I have not noticed any difference in how often the fan comes on. I notice it when I either enter the garage after drying briskly, or when I pull into the garage and plug in the charger. The fan is set to come on at certain temperatures to insure the battery is protected. I always have the B&W playing so would not hear the fan. Depending on how you are driving and the temperature outside along with humidity could impact how often the fan comes on. I would either not worry about it or make an appointment with your local dealer. I assume you are not getting any warnings on Sensus that you are overheating in anyway? I suspect it is not an issue. But keep us informed.
No, I did not see any warning. This only happens recently, but I heat this noise!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check to see that you have not inadvertently turned the seat ventilation fan(s) to high.....I find they can be quite noisy when the A/C system is off.
No, not seat ventilation fan, if it is on, then the ventilation fan will always be on until you turn it off, the noise I mentioned comes and goes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the fan noise from inside or outside? Roll down window for a second and you can tell.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
Outside, from the car itself (outside is a lot louder). My worries is could be aging sound isolation material, then this is hard to fix!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The battery cooling fan is located very near where the fog light would attach in the front passenger side of the car. The lower black plastic filler piece has vents to allow the outside air to easily enter. Perhaps leaves or other stuff has gotten inside and is making noise when the fan is on. I suspect there is also a fan for the radiator that is electric and comes on if the car is hot. That to me would be louder than the small cooling fan for the battery. Next time you hear it and you can either pull over, try seeing where the majority of the noise is coming from. Is it the very front of the car or is it the passenger lower fender area. During battery charging I can hear the fan running very easily outside of the car. It is noisy. I suspect it is a small fan motor that turns high rpms. I suppose a temperature sensor could go bad indicating a hot battery requiring the fan to come on. I would also think that it would throw a check engine or check battery? light. If you hear it first thing in the morning before driving off somewhere then I would be suspect.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the XC60 T8 MY18 - 24 month in my hands.
The car was always very silent and I rarely ever heard the engine fan. Since ca month 8, the big engine fan went on like crazy - happened from time to time, no matter what style of driving, most often relaxed smooth driving :) No matter if electric, mix or petrol.

This has now escalated and the engine fan runs att very high speed almost all the time with short breaks. My car is louder in noises than any other of my cars have ever been. Petrol and diesel.

Problem, my service team have no clue what to do about it - never heard of before and diagnose system is not reporting any errors.

I mean, the engine fan spinns so fast, the steering wheel vibrates.
Really miss the quite cruising on electric engine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts