SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive the car everyday.
the charge was plugged in last night
everything looked normal when I plugged in last night (it was 1/3 remaining power, or maybe 1/2)
this morning at 8:40am, not able to unlock it.
called voc, tow trucks are coming to jump start the car
what a ****....

I read here for T8:

1. you have to use a flatbed tow truck to tow it
2. You cannot jump the car from the front, you need to jump it from the back.

Are these true?

But since no power, you cannot open the tail gate, I hope the tow driver has a special tool to open the door...

thank

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
Don't need to jump, just tow it to dealer. May need to use locksmith tools to open doors.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
According to manual, jump start is from the front of the car.

Your VOC app can access the online manual. Search for jump starting.

Also, open your key fob to access the emergency physical key to open your driver’s door.

If they can’t get the power on, they may need to dolly your car out of the garage since I don’t think the T8 has a traditional transmission lock override so you can get it into neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Where do you insert the physical key? I know the fob has a key but can’t recall the handle having a spot.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
As the owners manual explains...
Locking/unlocking with the detachable key blade:
Pull out the front door handle on the lefthand side to its
end position so that the lock cylinder become visible.
Insert the key in the lock cylinder.
Turn clockwise 45 degrees so that the key blade is pointing straight back.
Turn the key back 45 degrees to its starting position.
Remove the key from the lock cylinder and release the handle so
that the rear section of the handle is resting against the car again.
Pull out the handle. The door opens.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. Here is first half of the story.

While I was waiting for the tow truck to come, I did a search in this forum. according to this post (https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?410129-My-towing-experience-with-dead-T8), T8 has to be jumstarted from the back. so I called my dealership, wanted to ask what is the correct produce, front under hood or back. My dealership is Unionville Volov (I did not buy my car from there, long story short, their sales department sucks, at least that was 3 years ago). The lady (if you someone you are reading to this post, you know who she is), told me they would not tell the customer because of liability issue. WTF? I was just asking is it correct to jump start from front or back, that is all I was asking. Then I asked if they would tell the tow truck driver, she said yes. OK, that is good. 60 mins later, the driver is here. I showed him the post, tell him to ask unionville Volvo to confirm the procedure. so I called again, and gave my phone to the tow trucker driver. you know what, she still refused to give out any information! SHE IS SUCH A BIG LIAR! SHE SAID SHE WOULD!

So I called VOC again, ask VOC to confirm, she said she can call some dealerships to confirm. I asked her to NOT call Unionville since they would NOT tell anything. I asked her to try Oakville Volvo, since I bought my car there. 2 mins later, he had someone from Oakville Volvo connected! Sorry I forgot to ask his name, but was a gentleman, told the driver the correct produce is still to jump from the FRONT, not BACK. Thanks Oakville Volvo.

So I got my car jumped, and able to get of garage and go to work.

I have no choice to go back to Unionville Volvo to have the car checked out on Monday because of location. They are the closed one, only 5 mins away from me. Oakville Volvo is 50 mins away if no traffic. Next closest is Volvo Villa, still a 20 min driving if no traffic.

Sorry Volvo, the next car I buy will NOT be Volvo, it is NOT because of I don't like the car, it is because of the ****ty dealership Unionville Volvo I have to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Did you ever figure out why your 12 volt battery was dead? Since you had to jump it that meant that something discharged it, perhaps a door was left open or the lights were somehow on or? I think I would contact the GM of the dealership and tell them about your experience with the "lady"

This is from my 2017 Hybrid Owners Manual under Jump Starting: If you have not done so yet I recommend you download this to your phone so you have access anytime you need it.

Jump starting Follow the instructions provided here to jump start your vehicle or to jump start another vehicle.
Jumper cable connecting terminals
NOTE The vehicle cannot be started if the hybrid battery is discharged.
CAUTION The vehicle's jumper cable connecting terminals may only be used to start your vehicle. They are not intended to be used to help start another vehicle. If they are used to start another vehicle, a fuse may blow and the terminal will not function.
If a fuse blows, 12 V Battery Fuse failure Service required will be displayed in the instrument panel. Contact a trained and qualified Volvo service technician. Use the following steps when jump starting your vehicle to help prevent short circuits or other damage.

STARTING AND DRIVING

1. Switch the ignition off completely (mode 0). 2. Ensure that the auxiliary battery to be used is 12-volt. 3. If the 12-volt auxiliary battery to be used is in another vehicle, switch off that vehicle's ignition and be sure that the vehicles are not touching each other. 4. Connect one of the red jumper cable's clamps to the auxiliary battery's positive (+) terminal (1).
CAUTION Connect the jumper cables carefully to avoid short circuits with other components in the engine compartment.
5. Open the cover over the positive (+) jump start terminal (2). 6. Connect the red jumper cable's other clamp to your vehicle's positive (+) jump start terminal (2). 7. Connect one of the black jumper cable's clamps to the auxiliary battery's negative (–) terminal (3). 8. Connect the black jumper cable's other clamp to your vehicle's negative (–) jump start terminal (4).
9. Check that the jumper cables are securely attached to help avoid sparks when the vehicle is started. 10. Start the engine in the assisting vehicle and run it for a short time at approx. 1,500 rpm. 11. Start the engine in your vehicle. If the vehicle does not start, allow an additional 10 minutes of charging time and then try to start the engine again.
NOTE During normal starts, the electric motor is prioritized and the gasoline engine will not start. This means that when the start knob has been turned toward START and released, the electric motor is activated ("started") and the vehicle is ready to be driven. The warning and information symbols in the instrument panel will go out and the chosen theme will be displayed to indicate that the electric motor has been activated.
CAUTION Do not touch the jumper cable connections while the vehicle is being started. This could generate sparks.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I hate to be the “user error” guy, but…

It’s your car. At a bare minimum you should know the fact that your keyfob has a physical key and the appropriate lockout procedure to get into the car without breaking a window. You would then have been able to access the manual.

Either way, the manual for the car is available online, in your VOC app, and in the Volvo Manual app. It’s searchable, and if you type “jump” it sends you to the page telling you exactly how to jumpstart the car, which is more or less exactly how you jumpstart any car. You just can’t use a T8 to rescue another vehicle.

There’s no need to resort to a years old forum post that gives the wrong information.

Jumpstarting any car can be a touchy procedure, especially for somebody who’s never done it before. I’m totally not surprised that someone wouldn’t be willing to walk someone through that over the phone for liability reasons, especially on a complex vehicle like the T8.

I mean. The attitude of many places is going to be: The car is yours. You have a qualified tow truck guy there. There’s a manual. If you between the two of you, you can’t figure it out at this point then you’re probably not qualified to be monkeying around under the hood of a T8 and it should just get dollied on a flatbed and dragged into a dealership because if we try and help you, you’ll screw it up and you’ll end up blaming us for the damage. Maybe they’ve been burned before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts