SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I recently purchased a 2017 XC90 T8. I do love the car but I’m really worried about the battery…
I drive around 60 miles RT to work in hybrid mode and by the time I get to work, the battery is completely dead from a full charge, is this normal? I know estimated range is 16 in pure, but I assumed it hybrid mode it could go much longer.
TIA!

· Registered
1,661 Posts
So 30 miles one way using hybrid and the ~16 mile (max) hybrid battery getting depleted is definitely possible depending on driving style (lead foot vs hypermiler), speed, acceleration, elevation changes, operating temperature, driving mode, road conditions, cabin heating or cooling, etc. Nothing sounds unusual here.

· Registered
2,649 Posts
If you don't actively use HOLD, it will deplete EV first, it doesn't know how far you plan to drive. So yeah, 20+ miles will ALWAYS deplete the EV battery, then you have a "normal" hybrid for the rest of the drive. Well, still better than "mild hybrids" because of the larger regen power and capacity that will be gained on long descents.
To max out your economy on drives where you know you MUST burn fuel anyway, think of when your car get the best MPG if it was a "normal" car. And put your car in "HOLD" during those times. (Highway, steady speeds, transmission in top gears, when you NEED heat). Then when you are approaching times where MPG sucks (stop/go, slow traffic) turn off HOLD and use the EV where it is the King.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts