SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 S60 and the dealer wanted to do an alignment at 20k miles. I declined because I checked tire wear with all 4 tires with a micrometer. The tire wear was even across all the tires. How often should an alignment be done?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a 2017 S60 and the dealer wanted to do an alignment at 20k miles. I declined because I checked tire wear with all 4 tires with a micrometer. The tire wear was even across all the tires. How often should an alignment be done?
How long is a piece of string?

How often you need an alignment will vary depending on how much you drive and in what conditions. If your driving is almost all smooth highway miles, you can go a long time between assignments. If your driving is mostly in a potholed city you could need an alignment every year.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The Toyota dealer I work at recommends them every 15k miles, but I also live in RI with some of the worst roads. Sometimes the cars are pretty off, sometimes not at all. If you drive on horrible roads it wouldn’t be a bad idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
IMHO, These cars are susceptible to alignment issues. Do your self a favor have it check every service. On other platforms p-1 p-2 you had to replace almost the entire front suspension around 70k. An $80 alignment is better than $800 to $1000 for a set of tires.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I do it every 5k I paid 150$ for lifetime alignment from firestone so i can go there every day if i want to and it be free . Once i rotate the tires i do alignment at FS.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I do it every 5k I paid 150$ for lifetime alignment from firestone so i can go there every day if i want to and it be free . Once i rotate the tires i do alignment at FS.
EDIT: Disregard this post. My recollection was faulty. Thanks to gobluetwo and Pauls90 for pointing out the correct information. Leaving my mistake as a reminder to myself to double-check my memory next time.

The paperwork for the Firestone lifetime alignment I have for both my S70 and Porsche 951 says that the "lifetime" alignment is good for one alignment per car per year.

So unless something has changed you can't go every day.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The paperwork for the Firestone lifetime alignment I have for both my S70 and Porsche 951 says that the "lifetime" alignment is good for one alignment per car per year.

not true you can go as much as i want . I had it for all my cars since 2004. Esp on my Oldsmobile's where i had to change struts than few other things weeks later and went there for alignment no issue. they even told me that i can come as much as i want. But i do come every 5k never had an issue. So who ever told you that is giving you incorrect information.

·
Registered
417 Posts

That's odd. The website clearly states:
  • Provide a Lifetime Warranty[SUP]*[/SUP] on the alignment, which means we'll set alignment angles on your vehicle every 6,000 miles or whenever needed, free of charge, for as long as you own it.
[SUP]
*[/SUP] See your auto advisor for complete terms and conditions of written limited warranties.
I'd double-check and confirm with your firestone location. I've been meaning to sign up for this.

·
Registered
719 Posts
not true you can go as much as i want . I had it for all my cars since 2004. Esp on my Oldsmobile's where i had to change struts than few other things weeks later and went there for alignment no issue. they even told me that i can come as much as i want. But i do come every 5k never had an issue. So who ever told you that is giving you incorrect information.
I had thought it was in the paperwork, but as gobluetwo pointed out, my recollection was incorrect. The website does indeed list it as every 6,000 miles or "whenever needed." This suggests that if you roll in before 6,000 miles and it's within spec, even just barely, they're not going to adjust it to put it into the middle of the spec range for free since it doesn't "need" an alignment. Obviously if you've just replaced suspension pieces it's not going to be within spec though.

I think I see where I got mixed up since 6,000 miles is just about a year of driving for one of my cars so it came out the same as a practical matter in my specific situation. I have to say though my alignment doesn't tend to need adjusting very often; I take the cars in annually and typically the readouts come back still within spec. They usually don't drift from center unless I hit something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts